Undersuits?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can somehow get your hands on "Armaflex" from construction work trash bins or something similiar (cause that stuff is expensive).
It's soft, flexible material that is easy to trace and cut, aslong as you have sharp blade (multiple strokes before final cut). It's the soft stuff that's around pipes.
You can make your suit much more manurvable, comfurtable and better in general with spots such as marked with yellow in this pic:
meeh.png

Here's what armaflex looks like:
http://www.alltube.fi/image/data/Armaflex/Armaflex_solukumieristeet_armacell.jpg

If you can somehow get your hands on "Armaflex" from construction work trash bins or something similiar (cause that stuff is expensive).
It's soft, flexible material that is easy to trace and cut, aslong as you have sharp blade (multiple strokes before final cut). It's the soft stuff that's around pipes.
You can make your suit much more manurvable, comfurtable and better in general with spots such as marked with yellow in this pic:
View attachment 26544

Here's what armaflex looks like:
http://www.alltube.fi/image/data/Armaflex/Armaflex_solukumieristeet_armacell.jpg
I will definitely look out for that!

Thank you all for the good help :)

I already saw people using these kind of motocross protection gear as undersuit too but i think its expensive http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160428/06a64135d1e88a371931d3354c8ca395.jpg

Actually no, you can find those things relatively cheap on Ali. I did buy such an armor not that long ago, cost me 40USD inclusive P&P.
Quality was surprisingly good in terms of optical effect and finish, can't say that much about the worth of it as an armor but it feels quite sturdy.

The only thing you have to be aware of is : chinese measurements are REALLY small. I bought an XXL and it fits like a glove (1,85m tall, currently clocking 85KG on the scales) but I'd buy an "XL", it would have been too small.
People being 1,95 or higher will have to search for XXXL gear.

I see these cheap armors being used in low budget scifi movies quite a lot by the way, so it's not "just cosplayers". :D

People looking for JUST the spine protection (to mimick the armored spine of a H4 suit or something comparable) can find the "turtle type armor" on Ali for as little as 15USD.

PS : take Mara's advice at heart about the compression suit. A good compression suit is worth every penny and will help you keep comfortable inside your suit.

As Kaween said, I bought the morocross armour that I am planning on using from a Chinese ebay seller.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/18184792579...em=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

For the bottom, I am going to wear a pair of snowboarding padded shorts over top of my compression tights, this will give some detail in the waist and thigh where there are gaps in the armour again from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winter-Mens...t-Gear-/331550019562?var=&hash=item4d31ebcfea

And just for good measure, I also bought gloves (I used a pocket knife to cut the thread holding the knuckle guard on and removed it so that the hand plate will sit flush).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motocross-R...l-Finger-Gloves-/171763080074?var=&hash=item0

All told, about $40-50.

Jme ... exactly. I see that armor popping up a lot and while not "screen accurate" and all (like I care ... :D ) it feels less out-of-place than some wrong patterned morph suit -just my opinion of course-

As for the spine, I used this one (had to look it up) http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-S...oss-Racing-Skiing-Body-Armor/32333565144.html
It looks white/gray there, but the part I got is actually all black.

Those padded shorts are a great find ! Don't have any use for them right now, but this is exactly what I was looking for some time ago. I've added this in my links.

As for "elbows and knees", depending on your design and desired look, these can be put to good use too :

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pcs...ing-Protectors-Ski-Snowboard/32392489512.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7246282720.html?orderId=72222716541597

They have a nice hexagonal foam 3D design and they're perfectly comfortable to wear. Not to mention, I can't bloody MAKE that stuff at that price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those knee pads are exactly what I have been looking for! Going to order right now!

And yeah, while not game accurate, I agree, I think the armour needs a little something more than just a compression suit (just my opinion as well). While straight compression suits work great, filling in the gaps in the armour makes such a difference. And we all can't be as amazing as Mara in making patterned suits.

I first saw the motocross armour used by LongshotX and I don't think anyone can argue that his suit looks anything but amazing.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Jme ... exactly. I see that armor popping up a lot and while not "screen accurate" and all (like I care ... :D ) it feels less out-of-place than some wrong patterned morph suit -just my opinion of course-

As for the spine, I used this one (had to look it up) http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-S...oss-Racing-Skiing-Body-Armor/32333565144.html
It looks white/gray there, but the part I got is actually all black.

Those padded shorts are a great find ! Don't have any use for them right now, but this is exactly what I was looking for some time ago. I've added this in my links.

As for "elbows and knees", depending on your design and desired look, these can be put to good use too :

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1-Pcs...ing-Protectors-Ski-Snowboard/32392489512.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7246282720.html?orderId=72222716541597

They have a nice hexagonal foam 3D design and they're perfectly comfortable to wear. Not to mention, I can't bloody MAKE that stuff at that price.

Those knee and elbow pads looks amazing! :D

Those knee pads are exactly what I have been looking for! Going to order right now!

And yeah, while not game accurate, I agree, I think the armour needs a little something more than just a compression suit (just my opinion as well). While straight compression suits work great, filling in the gaps in the armour makes such a difference. And we all can't be as amazing as Mara in making patterned suits.

I first saw the motocross armour used by LongshotX and I don't think anyone can argue that his suit looks anything but amazing.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

100% agreed. I'm preparing a H4-type undersuit these days, and I'm using Marawuff's brilliant method of hexagonal patterning which is actually not that hard to do, but I don't see the point of using that with my current H3 suit. Actually I now feel very bad for nearly never posting any WIP's but I'm totally chaotic in my work process, most of the time the piece is already finished. :( And most of the stuff I'm working on now is 3D printed oriented, there's little point in posting pictures of a 3D printer crunching out parts, or me messing with software trying to get a part right. :D I first tried another trick (metal mesh wire and a iron but the results fell flat, quite litterally so I was VERY happy with the type of results I got with Mara's method. Again, THANK YOU FOR THAT MARA !
Also, I used the "Mara method" using a special fabric-friendly spray paint, and it worked out very nicely and fast too.

Anyway. the only time I used my armor up till now was just with a black compression suit, the turtle armor on my back AND these elbow/knee pads. Not only did these parts fill in the voids like you say, they actually help keeping the parts above them in place. My upper leg parts rested/blocked on those pads (they're actually quite thick), same with the uppper arm parts, making them sit 100% secure, no twisting between under and upper part, no sagging.
It still felt somewhat empty as a result (working very hard to rectify this, hopefull ready by Gamescom in August) but it already did do a lot for the overall impression of the suit.

And Jme, anybody using a Calvin&Hobbes quote as tag line is automatically promoted to "super cool" in my book. :D :D
(took me a bit to remember where I knew that line from - not that easy if you only have known the Dutch translations of what is called "Casper en Hobbes" over here.)

100% agreed. I'm preparing a H4-type undersuit these days, and I'm using Marawuff's brilliant method of hexagonal patterning which is actually not that hard to do, but I don't see the point of using that with my current H3 suit. Actually I now feel very bad for nearly never posting any WIP's but I'm totally chaotic in my work process, most of the time the piece is already finished. :( And most of the stuff I'm working on now is 3D printed oriented, there's little point in posting pictures of a 3D printer crunching out parts, or me messing with software trying to get a part right. :D I first tried another trick (metal mesh wire and a iron but the results fell flat, quite litterally so I was VERY happy with the type of results I got with Mara's method. Again, THANK YOU FOR THAT MARA !
Also, I used the "Mara method" using a special fabric-friendly spray paint, and it worked out very nicely and fast too.

Anyway. the only time I used my armor up till now was just with a black compression suit, the turtle armor on my back AND these elbow/knee pads. Not only did these parts fill in the voids like you say, they actually help keeping the parts above them in place. My upper leg parts rested/blocked on those pads (they're actually quite thick), same with the uppper arm parts, making them sit 100% secure, no twisting between under and upper part, no sagging.
It still felt somewhat empty as a result (working very hard to rectify this, hopefull ready by Gamescom in August) but it already did do a lot for the overall impression of the suit.

And Jme, anybody using a Calvin&Hobbes quote as tag line is automatically promoted to "super cool" in my book. :D :D
(took me a bit to remember where I knew that line from - not that easy if you only have known the Dutch translations of what is called "Casper en Hobbes" over here.)

Oh wow! You're very welcome for that!
Wow, apparently there is a "Mara method" now! Yay! XD
Seriously, you're welcome! And yeah, doing the hex pattern with that isn't that hard! :D
Also, I totally understand and agree - Mark VI GEN1 didn't have any hex pattern, so why do it there? :D
Your build is amazing, from the photos I've seen and I'm really sad you never shared your progress. :(
Can't wait for Gamescom and I really hope I'll finish my suit by then...

Wow, apparently there is a "Mara method" now! Yay! XD

Totally !

And I for one think that you should attend with your suit even if it would not be 100% ready to your liking.

Reasons :
1) knowing you and looking at your work so far, it will blow us away anyhow. Heck, it blows us away in its' current state !
2) no armor is ever 100% ready. At least, that's my take on it. I've repaired my suit from FACTS Spring Edition last month : I've added stuff highlights and details / exchanged parts that didn't do too well, repainted stuff / reworking the complete undersuit now so it will look _seriously different_ on Gamescom than it looked on FACTS Spring. And it will probably look again differently on FACTS Fall edition. So if I would have waited till "it was well and trully ready", I'd probably never get it out.
3) A squad without Cmd Palmer ? Nope. Can't do. :)

But first I'll have to clear my plate of the current stuff I'm trying to achieve which I can't say too much about as the first thing is not something for myself, and another thing is supposed to be a little surprise for everyone of us who'll attend Gamescom.
And now I've done EXACTLY the thing that I dislike about WIPS (putting presure on myself pretending that I know what I'm doing which at most times is totally not the case)
Hehehehe ..... a first step I guess. :devil

Totally !

And I for one think that you should attend with your suit even if it would not be 100% ready to your liking.

Reasons :
1) knowing you and looking at your work so far, it will blow us away anyhow. Heck, it blows us away in its' current state !
2) no armor is ever 100% ready. At least, that's my take on it. I've repaired my suit from FACTS Spring Edition last month : I've added stuff highlights and details / exchanged parts that didn't do too well, repainted stuff / reworking the complete undersuit now so it will look _seriously different_ on Gamescom than it looked on FACTS Spring. And it will probably look again differently on FACTS Fall edition. So if I would have waited till "it was well and trully ready", I'd probably never get it out.
3) A squad without Cmd Palmer ? Nope. Can't do. :)

But first I'll have to clear my plate of the current stuff I'm trying to achieve which I can't say too much about as the first thing is not something for myself, and another thing is supposed to be a little surprise for everyone of us who'll attend Gamescom.
And now I've done EXACTLY the thing that I dislike about WIPS (putting presure on myself pretending that I know what I'm doing which at most times is totally not the case)
Hehehehe ..... a first step I guess. :devil

Nah, I *will* attend in my costume. It doesn't matter if it will be to my liking or not - it will be, or it won't be finished yet, LOL. BUT, I don't consider this option, everything HAS to be finished. LOL (seriously, it HAS to be finished... or... or I'll use it as an excuse for battle damage ._.)

Oh wow! You're changing so much! @_@
I also think the first convention is to test things out - if everything's fine, if not then you change/fix it to make it better. :D

Oh? I thought people hated Palmer? :p And now you're saying Spartans won't survive without her. :D

I was wondering if someone would get that, thanks!

I got it when you first posted it!!!!!!! just didn't say anything about it........C&H is a classic toon.......

If you're looking at a motocross body armor for an undersuit, amazon has plenty of used ones that are way cheaper than if you buy new. I a good one for $40. If you are like me, and only using it for the armor, it doesn't even need to be in great condition, as most of it isn't even showing with the armor on top of it.

Hope that helps

I won't take credit for an idea that wasn't mine first, I think the original person who used these was Anna Graf? Not sure what her handle is on here. Anyways, I use Heat Out Base Layer, which you can find at any Cycle Gear or buy off of their website. It may be a little more than underarmor, but the patterning that is already on the longsleeve shirt and the pants are a good homage to Halo Undersuits. As a bonus, these are designed to be worn under motorcycle leathers, so they are AMAZINGLY cool and breathable. I'm usually at a very comfortable temperature in my armor between that and my helmet fans. Hope that helps!

They look good. I was actually going to go to Party City because they sell the morph suits dirt cheap. The only thing is they're plain......no stitching or pattern like the Heat Out items you directed me to.......Cycle Gear right in Edison not to far from me..... bonus!!!....so I could check them out before I buy.

I've had great success with my Heat Out Base Layer suit from Cycle Gear. The patterning on it is really neat and it keeps you cool too!

We'll my deadline is in October for NY's Comicon so keeping cool will be the least of my worries.......

There was the morphsuit but I heard it is extremely expensive
ef470d682e398970ecdd2f7667f11a1f.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-G530W en utilisant Tapatalk

Attachments

• ef470d682e398970ecdd2f7667f11a1f.jpg
    ef470d682e398970ecdd2f7667f11a1f.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back