Halo CE Pistol and Halo 4 Covenant Carbine builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBlaze97

Hello and thanks for viewing, I wanted to share a couple of halo related builds that I have completed. I got the 3D prints from two folks Doc Dailey (Covenant carbine) and eBay for the pistol. And yea its been a long time since I posted, but figured I would share. So this will be a bit lengthy!

I encountered various challenges with both projects. The pistol alone was my very first venture into 3D printed props, I enjoyed the project, but had little knowledge when I started it.
12596227_1274248129268727_415852443_n.jpg

Things I learned from this project:
- 3D prints come in various qualities, be careful when buying 3D prints from eBay, they might be more work then their worth.
- Krylon metallic paint likes to bubble up when its too hot outside.
- Model paint works very well with Kryoln paint.
- Wetsanding
- Rubber bands as foe bolt action, not so good...

It was my first project, however I kept redoing until it was what I liked. No half assery. lol

This 3D print wasn't of the best quality and took a very long time to complete. Lots of sanding on this one. Before I learned about Filler Primer and Bondo filler. Kinda funny now that I think of it. But the greatest challenge came when I sent a message to Doc Dailey on Facebook enquiring about a 3D printed version of a Covenant Carbine. Little did I know this project would test every bit of knowledge I had about projects.

Here is a youtube video going through a slideshow of how I went about this project. You will see every step I took there.

Here are a few photos of the finished product for those who don't want to watch a video.
IMAG01363.jpg

IMAG01364.jpg

IMAG01365.jpg

IMAG01366.jpg

IMAG01367.jpg

Things I learned from this project:
- Let Foam-It! set without sealing everything together for longer than the box asks for.
- Pay attention to weather when using Foam-It!
- When Painting with enamel wait much longer for drying times then the can says. 24 hours won't allow tape to be so friendly.
- Do your research about metallic paints!
- Bondo spot filler is AMAZING!
- Gorilla glue and Superglue combo works like a charm.
- How to re sculpt a damaged area.
- How to add texture using enamel paint vs getting a gloss finish.

Things I would like to learn:
- How to create a warn look on a project both on colored paint and the metallic paint.

I didn't attempt this because I have no knowledge on how to go about doing it.

Anyway thanks for looking everyone, and I hope this is the correct place to put this, as I can't figure out how to post elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have too say these are both absolutely beautiful props! the level of detail is insane and the finishing work is outstanding !! well done!:thumbsup

Fantastic work. The detail on the paint job really shows the effort you put in to it......

Nice!
what layer height did you Print the carbine at? It appears to be 0.15...also, what material, ABS or PLA?

judging by the amount of spot putty you used, It's probably ABS; because I'll bet you had to deal with part warping.

anyway, nice build! details look nice and sharp!

I'll be doing an MA5D soon, so any advice would be helpful:)

Nice!
what layer height did you Print the carbine at? It appears to be 0.15...also, what material, ABS or PLA?

judging by the amount of spot putty you used, It's probably ABS; because I'll bet you had to deal with part warping.

anyway, nice build! details look nice and sharp!

I'll be doing an MA5D soon, so any advice would be helpful:)
Im not sure what size and I think it is ABS?

Only two small parts warped but that was due to the foam it not setting off in some spots (the holes I drilled are shown in the video I made.) The print was very top notch, Doc did up the print for me.

Thanks!

The pistol looks good, but isn't it the anniversary variant which is essentially the Halo 3 magnum? Great work nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back