Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBananaMC

Should I resin and fiberglass each piece when I'm done, or should I complete all the paper pieces then resin/fiberglass all at once. Or should I put on a resin coat so it's sturdy and fiberglass later. First suit of armour and I don't want to make mistakes.

You need to resin as you go. If you dont then if things get humid your pieces may warp and droop. The resining is going to take you several days at best for any pieces you do so putting a coat on and returning to it at a later time should be ok.

Hey, I was just wondering, do you need to resin and fiberglass or can you just bondo a pep'ed piece right away.

Hey, I was just wondering, do you need to resin and fiberglass or can you just bondo a pep'ed piece right away.

I usually do a quick coat of Bondo then glass behind that to add strength after I've done a resin coat on the outside. You'll end up with a more durable piece with the glassing than if you don't.

I haven't done any pep at all, BUT, thanks to the wonderful people on the site, I have gained a little knowledge about the topic
I would build a piece, give it a coat on each side of resin, then fiberglass the back ,then rondo/bondo the front to get rid of the lines from pepakura

Again I have no expertise in the topic but thats what I would do.
I hope this helped!:)

Unless there is a reason why you can't (e.g. middle of winter and you live in Minnesota) you should really do your best to fiberglass as you go. Sometimes that it's possible, in which case add supports and try to keep your pieces in a dry location to help prevent warping as best you can. Then as soon as you are able to fiberglass, do it.

Should I just do an outer coat or do an outer and inner?

Yes. And you might as well do the fiberglass while you're here. The resin stuff sticks so best to just do it all at once so the piece can start airing out.

There may be some confusion here because bondo also sells/makes a resin. If you're talking about bondo body filler then you will find it almost impossible to apply directly to cardstock. It is so thick and dries quickly that your pieces will bend and buckle from your efforts. Best to apply at least resin inside and out before bondoing.

Okay another question, Is bondo necessary after resigning, or can you just paint a helmet without bondo

You could paint without bondo, certainly. If your piece is structurally sound, there's nothing to say you can't wear it as-is - however, we encourage our members to make the best effort they can with their pieces, and that usually involves finishing the surfaces off with bondo.

Go the extra mile, you'l be glad you did.

Okay another question, Is bondo necessary after resigning, or can you just paint a helmet without bondo

It isn't necessary.
It can make your build a lot better, however. Either if you need to smooth out the surface or add some details that weren't in the pep file... Such details can make your costume a lot cooler.

BUT, it's only up to you how much time you want to invest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back