Halo 5 Cortana Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

IshidaRyusei

Jr Member
Hello all!
So over the past few weeks I've been doing some debating on who I want to be my big project and what I want to be the side project. The end decision is pretty obvious if you've read the title. My main project over the next few years- yes years as I'm taking a hiatus from conventions and have no set timeline for this project so I'd rather take my time with it- is Halo 5's Cortana model. My mark VI armour will be a side project as I want to get Cortana done first and the suit is a good breather project for when I'm frustrated or at a standstill with Cortana. My reason for choosing this Cortana model specifically as opposed to previous ones is because one, she's covered and not naked lol but also it shows her nice figure and she just has that air of confidence to her that I really enjoy in a female character. On top of that, I enjoy the detail that this one has and the feel of the armour incorporated into the bodysuit just excites me!

So, continuing on I'm going to show my references and also where I'm at currently with the research process. Because this cosplay has yet to be done by someone else from what I've seen on the internet there's a lot of guesswork and breakdown/research that needs to be done. Not to mention the fact that I'm an accuracy freak when I'm working off source material and making cosplay myself.

Below are my reference materials, if anyone can help with obtaining alternative views from the game directly (specifically the knees) I'd appreciate it.

cfh5cortana1-503fcf586b8049cbaf68ce3dcb8e50e6.jpgcfh5cortana2-333656e2f5c746ec861468ad9f19855a.jpgcfh5cortana3-e7e52f3bb8444014af0d4a3895ecda47.jpgcfh5cortana4-8a8801e2c9dd42a8aa9a1bdb5e1700d5.jpgcfh5cortana5-68584df036054aebaa3f27937838ce68.jpg22487240176_05dcfa87f8_b.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

Based on the 180 turnaround I've been able to successfully identify the following sections to her armour/suit with each colour representing a different section:

Currently Identified regions.jpg

I'm still studying the suit but so far things are looking good. Interestingly, the hard-light segments on her suit are semi-transparent or almost completely see-thru depending on where they're located so this proves a challenge in figuring out the material to use for those parts. Recommendations are more than welcome. For the base of the suit I'll be using the following morphsuit which will be ordered from Zentai-Zentai:

pale-blue-spandex-lycra-catsuit-no-hood-no-hand-9c5414.image.312x488.jpg

This suit will have a number of the dark blue details painted on directly with the use of liquid latex. To create the different sections that I've indicated I'll be using craft foam and eva foam and either overlaying it on top of the suit or inserting it into the suit to create a more fluid and natural appearance. I'm open to opinions on this but it does leave me with a very specific question, how stretchy are morphsuits? If I put the foam underneath the suit I'll need a fair amount of give and 'wiggle room' to put it in and secure it so that it doesn't shift around when worn. Would I be best off buying a size larger than myself and adjusting it accordingly after?

Hair wise I have two options; get my hair cut to match Cortana's (something I plan to do already as I like her hair style and it's a good change of pace from my usual Gumi/Sinon cut- Vocaloid Gumi for those who have no clue) and then dye it- I'm iffy on this as I don't feel comfortable bleaching my whole head, just the bottom half, but I may be able to simply overlay the colour on my already dark brown almost black hair and get away with it, while option two is to go the usual wig route which is a good option if I select it and I can probably find an affordable wig to match on ebay as bob cut wigs or 20cm as they're referred to tend to run from $10-15 for one of decent quality. The wig one is what I'll probably be selecting knowing myself but I'll have to look around and find one that matches her best.

For the eyes, my eyes are a fairly dark brown, almost chestnutty. Cortana has these bright electric blue eyes that are almost impossible to get unless you have them naturally. This leaves an issue for me as this means using contacts. I have minimal luck at best with inserting contacts and my first pair reacted poorly with my eyes, though this was likely because the brand I picked is known to have not so kind lenses for newbies- it's either that or my eyes just don't take to contacts well. So for the eyes what would you guys recommend? I have perfect sight so I would be a plano. What are some of the good brands for lenses? I hear Korean brands are generally the best and the pair of lavender lenses I have seem to work well from the one I was able to get in... I struggled for an hour to get that one in and then gave up on the other out of frustration. Do you all have any good tips for inserting the lenses? Removing is easy but putting them in is hard as heck.

Regarding her blue skin I've settled on using bodypaint but I have a number of options to select from as shown in the following images:

lt blues.jpgM Blue.jpg

Right now I'm trying to select the best possible match for her skin tone however I'm thinking something from the right side (The metallics) may be a good options as she is still a digital being so this would help in emulating that feeling of a being created from light that isn't exactly human. Now, because more eyes are better, which one is the closest match?

I'll be researching makeup next and doing eye makeup tests as she has a little bit of a blue eyeshadow on her in the gameplay that I've seen and I will want to obtain blue lipstick. Right now the majority of my research is figuring out how much everything will cost altogether and creating a pricing scheme and budget for the costume. If possible too I am hoping to get a job soon @_@ I need money to fund this and maybe get a console for myself haha. The next steps for this is to continue studying the suit and doing research. I'll be starting some of the sketchwork for the details and break down of the different pieces for templating as I go but I'm highly struggling with figuring out the hardlight portions and how to create lighting on her suit. Call me ambitious but I want to try to emulate a cybernetic pattern in her suit as closely as possible with lights and if ppossible maybe create that pulsation as though data is traveling through it. Help with the things I've mentioned is more than welcome for sure.

Anyways, this is just the start and I'll be updating with whatever progress I happen to make.

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 4,046
http://www.lumigram.com/

If you want some pazaz for cortana this stuff is Realy cool!

as for lights that travle . I have some Ideas :)

fiberoptics and some LED trickery . Its all how much time you want to spend .

but the underlying ideas are very very easy to do..

http://www.lumigram.com/

If you want some pazaz for cortana this stuff is Realy cool!

as for lights that travle . I have some Ideas :)

fiberoptics and some LED trickery . Its all how much time you want to spend .

but the underlying ideas are very very easy to do..

Oh ho ho! This excites me in many ways! And regarding time, well I have plenty of it XD at least four or so years to be exact. As I said I'm in no hurry to finish it as I want to really take my time with it and enjoy it. Because I'm the ambitious type I want to bring it as close to real life as possible and really wow when I come back out on the convention scene. I'd be more than happy to have an extra hand in learning the whole process of LED rigging and the lights btw as I don't have much hands-on experience with electronics ^^"

learning the whole process of LED rigging and the lights ^^"
as a Ex Merc Benz lighting engineer i can tell you now thats more in paper than it sounds i wish you truly the best of look
Where are you based e.g. Europe? U.S ? Far East? i could recommend for outside of Europe the ardiunio in your in Europe or even better England look for a BBC microbit
Depending on where you are depends on what you can get your hands on a soldering Iron would be a good start and a power source depending on lights and stuff depends on battery requirement
im gonna follow the post i want to see what you do :D

You beat me to it, IshidaRyusei!

I've also been studying her design since the game's release and actually have all materials ready for construction ( haven't started yet due to Ottawa Comic Con being this week). Cortana's design is so different from what we're used to seeing in the past, that the design definitely needs to be broken down into layers. I look forward to watching what you do with this. We might be able to help each other out. :eek:)

Note: for the bodysuit, I'd highly recommend that you get in touch with the seller prior to purchase for the simple fact that the color you're looking at can be misleading once you receive it. I went through Amazon for security reasons only to end up going through a different seller on the site because of this color issue. (Now I have two suits for the price of 1/2 of one)

Last edited by a moderator:
as a Ex Merc Benz lighting engineer i can tell you now thats more in paper than it sounds i wish you truly the best of look
Where are you based e.g. Europe? U.S ? Far East? i could recommend for outside of Europe the ardiunio in your in Europe or even better England look for a BBC microbit
Depending on where you are depends on what you can get your hands on a soldering Iron would be a good start and a power source depending on lights and stuff depends on battery requirement
im gonna follow the post i want to see what you do :D

I'm located in Canada. I have access to tools as my dad is an electronics engineer but physically creating these arrays and making them work is new to me. I can make a circuit but it ends there haha.

You beat me to it, IshidaRyusei!

I've also been studying her design since the game's release and actually have all materials ready for construction ( haven't started yet due to Ottawa Comic Con being this week). Cortana's design is so different from what we're used to seeing in the past, that the design definitely needs to be broken down into layers. I look forward to watching what you do with this. We might be able to help each other out. :eek:)

Note: for the bodysuit, I'd highly recommend that you get in touch with the seller prior to purchase for the simple fact that the color you're looking at can be misleading once you receive it. I went through Amazon for security reasons only to end up going through a different seller on the site because of this color issue. (Now I have two suits for the price of 1/2 of one)

This project is going to be pushed out to the course of four years so a lot of the work I'll be doing is creating patterns and research. I'll bbe more than happy to share my findings though. Another user here recommended me to Zentai-Zentai. They have a fairly good selection and reputation so I have high hopes that it should be fairly close and if not then I'll work with it. They had three different variations of the same blue so I'm not too worried.

Update! Not necessarily Cortana related but just as good XD Progress on my foamboard MA5C has started. I got my templates yesterday and have started cutting them out. I'm also figuring how to lay it out on the board to maximize space. I should have something for Cortana soon I'm hoping though the actual making of won't be started up for a little while until I am able to gain the funds necessary.
20160512_122617.jpg20160512_122546.jpg

Thanks guys! I come with good news regarding the project! I can now officially say this project is greenlit as I just obtained a summer job and hopefully permanent job at wal-mart! so... Project Cortana is a go!

Thanks! First order of business is to order the bodysuit and purchase foam but that will likely be with my second paycheck. I have my eyes on the NECA Needler replica that's at my local EB Games and that's going to easily put me out by 200-250 CAD which is a week's worth of work if my calculations are correct.

Not quite the sort of progress I was hoping to have for this project but it's better than nothing haha. I have a pair of dolly eye blue lenses waiting for me from CosQueen when I'm ready to pick them up.

http://cosqueen.storenvy.com/collec...8693-dolly-eye-blue-1-pair-lasts-1-year-plano

I know the seller personally and her stuff has never disappointed before so these should be good. It'll be good to test them before I commit them for certain for the final costume. I'll be ordering the suit as soon as I can as well. Meanwhile I'm still slowly chugging away at my assault rifle so expect progress pictures of that soon.

Forgot to add but I'm planning on using the following wig in dark blue for her hair.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/80cm-Long-St...hash=item2a63a67ab9:m:mmeqqK8DwXhFY5sYYnCOHdg

It's a bit long but I can use the left over to create wefts and fill it out a bit if the wig ends up being too thin.

Ohh that looks like a good color blue on the body suit. I like that it is a little bit shiny.

Ohh that looks like a good color blue on the body suit. I like that it is a little bit shiny.
I agree! It's one of the reasons I settled on that specific suit! Based on the references the suit isn't matte but has a shiny finish so the slected bodysuit should mimic that perfectly.

Fot the bodypaint I'm thinking of using the pale blue snazaroo as a base and then the metallic blue snazzaroo as the top coat. Opinions? I've never used bodypaint before so it's very new to me lol actually a lot of this will be new but should be fun!

IshidaRyusei, I did the thing I mentioned I'd work on for you. It's the Mantle of Responsibility icon Cortana wears just above her collar while presenting herself in Halo 5 Guardians.

I'm happy to give the model tweaks if you need.

Attachments

• Mantle Icon.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 224
  • mantle icon thumb.PNG
    mantle icon thumb.PNG
    51.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to the beginning of the project and progress. :D

Well, like I said earlier, I'm looking forward to the beginning of the project and progress. :D
Thank you! I'm hoping to start on the main parts of project soon! Patterning for the foam understructure will likely start this week once the newspaper comes in lol. All my patterns are created using old newspaper.

IshidaRyusei, I did the thing I mentioned I'd work on for you. It's the Mantle of Responsibility icon Cortana wears just above her collar while presenting herself in Halo 5 Guardians.

I'm happy to give the model tweaks if you need.

Oh my goodness! Thank you a bunch! It looks great! I'm assuming I can open this in blender right? Nevermind, I made a derp XD I opened it in pep. I gave it a look over, it's a little on the large side- should be roughly 5cm in diameter if my measurements are accurate- and is inverted but is otherwise perfectly on point! What did you make it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back