Mark VI multiplayer build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick206

So this is my very first attempt to build the Mark VI helmet, it is for my two year old.
I will be uploading pics as I go along. feedback is welcome.
TY and here we go.......

Attachments

• 13230223_10154118097867660_8363457130505662581_n.jpg
    13230223_10154118097867660_8363457130505662581_n.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 184
Just be careful with sizing because kids that age grow like weeds and the helmet might only fit for a short time if it is too small. Did a helmet for my cousin and it wouldn't even fit when finished and I think that was the fastest I have ever made something.

Just be careful with sizing because kids that age grow like weeds and the helmet might only fit for a short time if it is too small. Did a helmet for my cousin and it wouldn't even fit when finished and I think that was the fastest I have ever made something.
I did add a couple cm for growth. Hopefully I can finish in time.

Not sure what you're planning, but for me, I didn't build the paper portion of the visor, thinking I wouldn't need it. My helmet has a little sag to one side now and I'm ready to start fiberglassing it. I'm thinking about redoing just the visor and adding it for the extra rigidity, or at least using popsicle sticks or something to brace it in the right shape.

Good luck!

Not sure what you're planning, but for me, I didn't build the paper portion of the visor, thinking I wouldn't need it. My helmet has a little sag to one side now and I'm ready to start fiberglassing it. I'm thinking about redoing just the visor and adding it for the extra rigidity, or at least using popsicle sticks or something to brace it in the right shape.

Good luck!
I thought the same thing on my first helmet, but it really does give a lot of support during the resin process if you pep the visor. Also doubles as a template for shaping the plastic if you go that route. Either way, much easier to cut out a resined visor than to fix a drooping helmet. Whichever you decide, best of luck to you Jalean.

Nice progress Maverick! I wanted to tag IshidaRyusei in case she didn't see that you provided the file link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's a Walmart in your area you can save some money by getting the resin and fiberglass cloth there instead. I used to get mine at Lowe's until realizing Walmart carries it in their automotive section for a few dollars less, exact same product.

Once you're ready to make a full suit and need to buy much more material then I would recommend finding a fiberglassing store. You'll end up getting a higher quality product for the same or less price. With how much need there is for fiberglassing in boats and automotives it stands to reason that near larger metropolises there would be dedicated stores. The one by me (near Seattle, WA) is called Fiberlay. Walmart does have very competitive pricing, but it's nice to try to find the little guys if they are still around. Tell them about how cool of a project you're working on they might give you a discount.. like he did for me!

For the kid.... right. ;)

nice day out so I was able to do some resin, I was so nervous.with help from the wife here are some shots.13315685_10154152117112660_491639776213865200_n.jpg13335537_10154152117117660_907402989652160769_n.jpg and one question, I cant seem to find the answer anywhere. do I need to sand before applying a 2nd coat?

I agree with Meatwad. Also, no resin sanding is needed except to knock off drips/pools or high spots before bondoing

So I will be using fiberglass cloth and cutting to size. I have watched videos and read posts on forums. I came across another method and wanted to know if anyone has done it. dipping the cloth into the resin and putting it in that way vs spraying an adhesive then laying the cloth on that way?

I came across another method and wanted to know if anyone has done it. dipping the cloth into the resin and putting it in that way vs spraying an adhesive then laying the cloth on that way?

I'm in the same phase of my build as you, and I chose to glue the cloth in rather than dipping it. Personally, I feel that dipping would be messy and I would feel very rushed in order to not run out of time with the resin. So for an even coating, I chose to do it the other way..

Same, I prefer spray adhesive when laying down cloth then go back for resin. My first build project I tried putting a drip of resin down, lay the cloth piece, then resin over it. I felt that was already pretty messy for me even without worrying about curing time, so my current project I switched to spraying some adhesive, lay my sections and then resin over it. Especially when it's hot out I don't want to be rushed because my resin is curing too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back