Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Duke's Custom Reach Suit with Bruteshot (with Step by Step) +photos!!

Question: Maybe a diehard might know, because I've been mulling it over for awhile now... How does this thing fire? I mean, where is the trigger??

A lot of the Covvie weapons don't seem to have traditional trigger mechanisms. Perhaps a handle squeeze motion? Or a pressure-sensitive button/patch on the handle?

A lot of the Covvie weapons don't seem to have traditional trigger mechanisms. Perhaps a handle squeeze motion? Or a pressure-sensitive button/patch on the handle?

I always figured they used a pressure switch either under the thumb or where a traditional trigger would be, based on some of the animations.

Yeah I know that suit all too well. :D.
Have used it myself in the past. And while not game accurate as you say, it works out pretty well in the end. It's also this suit that is being used in countless cheap SciFi movies as armor, most of the time completly unmodified. So heck if they can get away with it, we certainly can.
Cripes that gun looks good. And big. Somehow I imagined it smaller. :)
That is interesting to know about the low budget sci-fi thing.. I'll have to see if I can spot one.

It does look bigger in that picture too because I'm holding it up so high, but yes.. big gun. :)

Huh, I guess I just never noticed. They most have perfected mind controlled electronics. Lol. I thought something similar on the handle squeeze idea, that dinky handle that comes up seems too small to be an actual handle, so I thought it might be like a trigger/cocking mechanism that moves forward and back. I think when I get some down time I'll check out the animation like Kyre mentioned.

I always figured they used a pressure switch either under the thumb or where a traditional trigger would be, based on some of the animations.
Huh, interesting. I'll have to check out some slow-mo in forge and see what I can find out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Progress:

With a little more free time on the horizon I am inching towards pepping the armor. Today I have finished my measurements and measuring my Vanity scale model. I plan to use the Method 1 from Xtreme Tactics.

[edit] Keep reading a few posts down as will explain how I started scaling. The Method #1 did not work for me this time around.

20160624_100306_zpsa2v03a2i.jpg
Since it got cut off, my physical height is 5' 8 3/4"

20160624_123717_zps8pchpw4q.jpg
Measurements in both pictures are in millimeters as the good Pepakura intended.

I think I will start with printing the chest piece since I have already made several helmets now and I would like a small change.

20160624_100306_zpsa2v03a2i.jpg

20160624_123717_zps8pchpw4q.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Make sure your measurements are WITH your undershot on, otherwise you may find your armor is simply too dang small.

Make sure your measurements are WITH your undershot on, otherwise you may find your armor is simply too dang small.

Agreed. This is why I had to wait until I could afford my undersuit before I could start pepping the pieces.

Tips on Scaling Torso(Chest):

This is a tough piece to scale.. The neck hole is bigger than your neck, the arm holes are way bigger than your arms and it ends around your rib cage so you can't even go by your waist size! I took what measurements I had and set out. I'm not making a Mk VI so HaloGoddess' tutorial didn't work for me. I tried using Xtreme's Scaling Method 1, but the Vanity picture is not a clear head-on shot of the armor pieces so I am not really sure how viable that one is. I liked Spitfire's Method, but it is quite a bit of computer work and I am not very quick with those skills.

On top of all this the pep file I am using has a piece at the top I am not pepping and the scales on the back are pulled out, both of those things skew the overall dimensions of the 3d model. As such I landed on Xtreme's Method #2, he describes using the width as the width of the chest from armpit to armpit and then adding a few centimeters for padding. For the file I used this measurement was actually labeled the "depth" even though in reality it is the width of the chest, but it worked because it was the only measurement not skewed by the add-ons. For future reference I input my depth as 500mm. I am 5'9" and weigh 225lb. (Update: this first attempt turned out a little too big, re-scaled depth to 449mm and it worked much better)

I still recommend reading all of those linked tutorials as they will each give you a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish. Also, note that once the chest is pepped you should have trouble getting into it. Most people cut it after it has been hardened and then reattach it with velcro, magnets or buckles.

For the chest, maybe use the measurement from the two outside edges of your motocross armour?

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

For the chest, maybe use the measurement from the two outside edges of your motocross armour?

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

That wouldn't work so well. The chest piece doesn't go to the ends of the shoulder, it stops before them, which is why the armpit measurement is closer to the right size. There is going to be a shoulder armor that will need to not interfere with the chest. The odst shoulder especially.

I think I'm going to go the spitfire route and photoshop transparent armor pieces onto the picture of me. That way I can get an idea of the build as a whole and not get too caught up on one piece.

Ahh, gotcha.

This is a pretty exciting post for me.. I am finally starting to see the potential of my build. It took a little bit of time, but I am really happy I did this. There is a lot more pieces to a Reach build than I thought! Now, I did not use this to help me scale, more to give me an idea of how the pieces work and fit together. Without further ado..

Armor%20Base_zpsbcwvygei.png
It's the same picture of me as above, only much more improvement.

Doing this also forced me to find and open all the files I am going to use. I have hyperlinks to those in my first post.

Attachments

• Armor%20Base_zpsbcwvygei.png
    Armor%20Base_zpsbcwvygei.png
    691.3 KB · Views: 297

A lot of people don't realize that not only do you have to build shoulders you like, but the Default ones too. They're a stepping stone for customization.

Side note, are you putting the Armor plate for the Utility slot on the right side instead of the conventional left?

I like the overall theme you've got going, can't wait to see it come together!

Side note, are you putting the Armor plate for the Utility slot on the right side instead of the conventional left?

Good eye, Shiny! Yes, it was intentional. My brute shot is going to be mounted on my back and accessible by my right hand, which means that my pistol can't be magnetically attached to my right side in fear of knocking it off. So I switched the pistol mount and the tactical case. .[edit].. OOOOPS.. I just figured out that in order to hold the brute shot right-handed it needs to be grabbed by the left hand.. So back the OG placement. Thanks. :) Question, did I miss the shoulder piece you're talking about? I found the bicep pieces and the Commander shoulder had a weird plate hovering behind it that I couldn't figure out where it was suppose to attached to. Thoughts?

A lot of people call it the bicep piece, but it's technically the default shoulder pauldron, technically. If you scroll thru the menu in game you'll see that the other shoulder pieces simply add onto the default one.

I wanted to take a minute to give a shout out to my younger twin brothers. They just graduated highschool and have grown so much. I am very proud of them.

Also a thanks to Dirtdives . Because of his posts/projects I had the courage to say yes when my mom came to me and asked if I would make a cupcake stand in two hours out of foamboard that could hold more than 50 cupcakes.. As long as I get to eat some. :)

20160626_095758_zpsgsb940zr.jpg
Congratulations Austin and Brian!

Attachments

• 20160626_095758_zpsgsb940zr.jpg
    20160626_095758_zpsgsb940zr.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 299

OOOHHHHH Cupcakes!!!! I want some also!!! Be right over. I'll just hop a flight to the West Coast and wallah! Here I am.

Congratulations to the Graduates!!!!!

Nice job!

So far liking the build :)

Congrats to the Grads! That was me 10 months ago :D
Only I didnt have an older brother to make an awesome cupcake stand like that.
Or cupcakes at all.

All right, enough with my pity party

A few heads up as I used what seems to be a bunch of the files you are about to use.

Note: This entire rave was based on my own experience, and not to critic your own ideas/ ways of working or scaling.
Its just purely me, saying how I did stuff.

I realize I am preaching to choir here, but just bear with me (or ignore the who darn thing xD)

First off, torso. This was a true pain scaling. I had nightmares almost all the time with visions of it being to big/small for me. Luckily that did not happen.

I pretty much just took a yard stick and measured across my shoulders, armpits, and torso about where the chest piece would end. I then pulled up some straight-on shots of the reach armor. Then, I eyeballed the picture to see how far the armor went between the top of the shoulder/neck, and used that as my main way of scaling; The chest piece seems to end just before the shoulder ends, perhaps an in or two away.

Idk, worked for me. I just eyeballed and got lucky :wacko Would not recomend, but hope it helps.

JUST BE SURE IT IS BIG ENOUGH TO ACTUALLY FIT YOU! MIGHT AS WELL ERROR ON IT BEING A TAD BIGGER THEN TOO SMALL.
Works both ways, as you never know when that diet is gonna end....
Or when muscles pop out of nowhere :p
If anything, a slightly larger torso makes you look more 'big and manely', completing the cartoon upside down 'triangle' of strength with large bicepts and pex :p
Seriously, look at superman. His torso is based off an upside down triangle!

Anyway Torso, measure top of shoulders and eyeball, then scale apropreatly. Also check the neck hole size! (But remember that some of the neck hole will not end as paper, but likely foam)

Helmet scaling.
Really, just find the thinnest part of the helmet (usually the inside of the ends of the visor area, which would sit right by your temples, or over your ears) And make sure that the distance between those two points gives comfortable room for your head to slide up into. Too small, and your ears wont fit in the visor area. Too big, and you look like a bobblehead, and your helmet droops forward.

It sounds complicated, but I can post pics of what I mean upon request!

Be sure to scale a few mm larger though, or head growing room, or more likely, foam padding!
Also make sure you know where a potential fan would go....

Bicept pieces are easy. Just scale the inside width of the larger side/opening to the largest part of your arm near your shoulder. Its a bit of luck, but it worked for me! THey will never be too long as they are naturally a very short piece. But just be aware that the bigger it is, the more it will restrict your movement when worn with the chest piece; crossing arms/reaching to your other arm becomes much more difficult. Might as well not make it worse with a bicept that is too big.

Forearm pieces are about the same. But this time scale it so that the inside edge of the smallest opening (towards the hand) will be able to fit a balled up fist through without bending the opening wider.
Nothing could be worse then building the forearm, then realizing you cant get your darn hand through xD
measure long-wise from inside edge to inside edge, then measure the width of your fist (or the width of the widest part of your hand, excluding your thumb as you can always curl that underneath the rest of your hand) and add a centimeter or so for just-in-case-ness!

That should also give you the scale you desire! Also now would be a great time to start thinking about arm mobility. The neighboring edges of your lower bicept piece and upper forearm piece will no doubt come in contact with eachother when you bend your arm inward. Think about that!

A quick side note:
I would scale the ODST shoulder armor a tad bigger then shown in that picture. It helps give the appearance of a buffy shoulder shield, while also emphasizing that upside-down-triangle-of-manly-muscle-ness. I can show you to what scale I sized my ODST shoulder too and how it compares with my own shoulder if you like! (Vanity is a good help with this one as well!) Just remember- Smaller shoulders makes you look slightly scrawny. Great for a fast-darting-conealable-scout/spy look. Bad for a big bad Spartan made of titanium and ceramic bones. (and a bit of fiberglass :p)

Also not how in your Vanity picture, the lower half of the ODST almost spans the height of the Bicept piece. IMO your ODST shoulder as largely off scale and needs to be bigger.
But that is just my opinion ;)

Beware the Codpiece! Idk how to scale the thing, and I still dont know how too. I guestimated the widest part of my hips and added a few cm, though mine came out a bit to small, so I cut some parts and added a bit of tape to make it longer for now.
#LAZE

Thighs. If you have time, I recommend building the entire model and resining that, unlike how I only build the armor part, planning on doing that inner thigh 'black' part in foam, mostly for comfort around 'there' and some fexiblity/mobility.

Shins. I would dare to say its the same scaling concept as the forearms, but I went the height-wise scaling.
Build em after your thighs, and make sure they go from a bit higher to your ankle, to a good coverage around your knee.

ALSO BE SURE TO MEASURE THE BACK PART OF THE SHIN AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF HEIGHT SPACE BETWEEN YOUR FRONT ANKLE AND BACK OF YOUR KNEE! Failure to follow this simple step could result in a piece whos height makes it impossible/uncomfortable to bend your knee back as the back-top ridge of the shin digs up into your knee joint from the back of the leg. The resulting push-down of the too-tall shin from the back-knee joint will push the front-bottom of the shin down into the top of your foot/ankle joint, or top part of the boot. Not good!

Again, if it aint making sense, just ask for pictures!

A note on the shins file.
If you are using the same file as I did (from the pic it looked like you where. Its the one with the included FJ/Para knee) If you are using that FJ/Para knee, be sure to make a separate copy of the same file and scale the knee piece up larger.
In the file it seems much too small in comparison with the shin part. Even a quick look at Vanity will tell you that!.
Also the top piece of the front shin (bottom part of the FJ-Para knee) Has an open edge between it and the top part of the actual shin. You will have too custom build that small part as I did.(if your using the FJ/Para knees once again)

Boots. Scaling almost the same as the helmet. I assume you will wear them over some actual footwear?
Measure the widest part of the footwear you will have underneath the armor boot, then measure the front tips of the rear part of the armor boot. (the one that is neither the toe nor the ankle guard)
Make sure they are wide enough, and scale appropriately.

Like the shin, I found that the toe piece seemed a bit large in comparison to the main boot/heel part. so you might want to scale the toe down just a few cm in width.

But honestly, for my boots, after I built them slightly big, I just but the back of the heel part and glued it back together within itself to make that part shorter (skinnier around the ankle) And did the same with the top part of the toe, to reduce some of the width.

It worked fairly well, so I did not have to rebuild anything!

Again, pics happily provided if necessary!

Handplates seem like a pain to build, so I am waiting until my paintball gloves come in to make sure they are scaled to the correct width.

And that is all of my rant :p

Most of this stuff you already know though, as it seems you have done your research quite thouroughly. Just thought I would pitch in from my own experiences.

Questions comments concerns always accepted! And pics always ready to be provided.

Enjoy and best of luck. Will definitely be watching!
-C.R

Now gimme cupcake :devil

Thanks guys!

Update below, but first...

Congrats to the Grads!

Now gimme cupcake :devil

Dude! That is Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to highlight your problems during the sizing stages. It is something not talked a lot about and seeing as how that is exactly where I am right now I will definitely be taking your advice during the process.

I seriously think you should copy and paste what you wrote to me into your thread, in either the first or last post, as a "what I learned kind of thing" there was some really good stuff in there.

I agree with the "be too big, than too small" part as you can always trim this stuff down, but much harder to stretch it out. And yeah, I was going for the triangle shape as a tank type soldier, which your advise on the shoulders will help with.

Really though, I'll probably be calling some of your tips out as I go along, so thanks and I do hope you check back often. :)

Progress:

Finally! I made a piece! I swear I'm pretty quick with this pepping, but I'm been feeling the drag lately with 60 hour work weeks for the last three months. Been hard to get the energy up, but I finally got the chest done and I am pretty happy with the scaling. It's a tad on the big side, but I will be trimming up the connections after the hardening stage to help give it a better fit/feel. Anyone think I should repep it though, a little smaller?
20160714_223258_zpstsdho98k.jpg

One thing I haven't mentioned was a modification I wanted to make to it. I know that one concern at cons is hydration. I always thought the canister in the front of the grenadier chest would be perfect to house a water bottle. Here is a picture of how I plan to do that, using some Tupperware. This plastic food holders have a screw top lid that I found very useful. If you've noticed in my other builds I do like to make the modifications before hardening to work them into the piece.
20160707_214316_zpslr6baw7s.jpg

And here you can see it pepped in.
20160714_223144_zps7rblo5lz.jpg

20160714_223258_zpstsdho98k.jpg

20160707_214316_zpslr6baw7s.jpg

20160714_223144_zps7rblo5lz.jpg

Dude that mod for the water bottle is awesome. I love it when people on here mod the suits to make a useful piece out of some part of it. No one is even going to know there is a water bottle in there until you pull it out.

The chest is a little big but with the undersuit and once you trim it down after the hardening stage I think it will be perfect

The water bottle idea is great !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back