Question for the 3D printing people out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobotChicken

What do you folks do when your filament spool is near the end and there's a lot of filament remaining on the spool but the length isn't enough to print a model? Do you have any means of salvaging it, such as pausing a job when filament runs out, loading a new spool, and then resuming the job? Or is there some way of fusing the remnant of a nearly empty spool to the start of a new spool? It's unlikely that filament usage will just happen to be consumed such that only a few centimeters are left after printing a model and be acceptable waste. When you have several meters of filament left but everything you want to print uses more length than what's remaining on the spool, what do you do? I have a hard time believing you're all just discarding meters worth of filament with each spool you load up.

I don't know an awful lot about filament, but I'm aware that some 3D printers offer hoppers with ground-up plastic rather than filament. This seems like a much more efficient way to provide the material, perhaps you could look into it?

EDIT: now that I'm able to actually research the idea more than simply from hearsay... RepRap offer something called a Universal Pellet Extruder. Seems a lot more efficient to use, since you'd just need to keep the hopper topped up rather than constantly needing to replace an entire filament roll to continue printing.

I use mine with a 3d pen like a plastic MIG weldor to weld stuff. also I do * tons* of small prints so It gets used in a few months any ways.

* cringe* I loose 10% per spool some days to loss . armor is a pain.... I advise larger spools Eg 5 kg. this way the 20 meters looss is less % then on a 1 KG spool .

Ive seen 5 KG for 100bucks flat .

Dremel = proprietary filament or else voided warranty.

The filament comes in only one size and the best price I've found is about $30 per spool.

how the heck would they beable to tell ;)
Unless there is a RFID reader like the XYZ davince .
I know my dreamer has no way to tell . it just has a odd sized place to hold the filiment so I made a better one external.

I weld the parts/ends together. Or at least, I've been doing so with PLA. I know I can "change filament" over the Reprap settings menu, but the result is somewhat lacking and it's not worth the hassle as the "pauze, drive out, reload, reposition" procedure will show on your printed surface, unless you have the brains to do it on something like infill but you don't always get to choose when the filament is at its end and not all parts permit that solution.

Haven't done it with ABS or PETG yet but I've no reason to believe that wouldn't work too.

Instead, I take out a simple lighter, heat up the two parts and fuse them. Then I take out an exacto knife and do away with the "mushroom" that is the result of the fuse. Sometimes a little sanding is needed. It takes a little bit of practice but so far it always worked for me. I think there's even a company selling a "tool" (very big word) for doing that but being the cheap-*ss that I am, I'd rather drop dead than spend money on such a "tool".
Of course, I've no idea of a closed box (physically) like the Dremel permits dirty tricks like those in terms of "checking door closed status either no print", but even if that would be the case that should be very easy to fool.

Propriatary filament = *ss. Nintendo principle of ripping off customers all under the guise of "user friendlyness". Bah. :thumbsdown I'm totally with Peter there : unless you're printing in a color that doesn't exist inside the "official PLA" range that Dremel offers, it would be very hard for a company to prove you've run something else than their "premium filament".

Last time I lost filament on a printjob I lost about 100meters due to a failure of my laptop charger : HP Smartcharger went belly-up in the middle of the night and even with a running time of slightly over 6 hours, that means it wouldn't last for a full night) so the print just kept running till the battery of the laptop went out. Ah well, ***** happens. Wasn't really happy with that.

The recommendation from Dremel is pause the job when the filament is nearly out, change out the filament, then resume the job. I could plan for that to occur while the extruder is doing a support or infill.

I do really like the idea of fusing the ends and intend to give that a try. (Dremel = PLA only) There is no issue with opening the door or removing the top while printing (thank goodness). I've already done that to shoot photos, and touch up "blobs" while printing.

As I'm still very new to 3D printing I've been hesitant to do anything daring yet, such as "unofficial" filament or machine modifications. Perhaps later when I actually know what I'm doing!

In honesty, the idea isn't mine. I picked it up from some YT thingy so do a search there, pretty sure you'll find it.
And you can practice on two little strands of the stuff at hearts' desire of course. I don't even have to slow down printing. The bowden system gives me a lot of time before I'd get into trouble, even printing at full speed.

Ive only Once ever tried to add a roll in middle of print . I dont like the risk andI run my machine at night and while I am away at work so I am never there to splice per say.

IMO just cut the plastic clean and guide in the new stuff. its not like it sucks in pastic at meters per sec.

the No1 reason I got that dreamer was it stores the print IN the machine. I have had far to many failed prints from comport loss.

.... Afaik, all modern Repraps are capable or storing the print in the machine.You just put the stuff on an SD card, point to "I want to print that", select material type/print parameters and it's "off you go".

However, I have far LESS control over the printprocess that way. Using a PC, I actively slow down prints on layers where a high speed print would potentially botch up details, and I can define where I'll speed up the print back up on the layers that don't need special attention. Or temperature changes between layers ect ect to avoid warping ect ect .... : I can't influence that during print when I'm not using a PC as host. This may not be big issue if a printer has a smaller building space, but with a building space of 300x300x300 and higher and with printjobs easely exceeding 30 hours sometimes, I do not want to give up that capability.

Hah : here's the original video where I learned this :

A somewhat less "iffy" instruction set can be found here :
(really, that first guys workbench ? I'd start taking a garbage bin and throw 99% of what is littering there away. How can people work that way ?)

A "pro splicer" : http://diy3dprinting.blogspot.be/2015/06/easywelder-tool-for-welding-filament.html (which I refuse to buy as I'm too cheap :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much for the tips, guys. I'm more confident now in the options for not running out of filament while printed or having to accept unrealistic amounts of waste. (That happens enough on its own with rafts and supports.) I've been doing all my printing from SD card. I have adjusted some settings to avoid overheating but haven't yet looked into slowing down the printing for detail areas. Thanks for the links - I'll check them out when at a computer instead of my phone.

Thanks much for the tips, guys. I'm more confident now in the options for not running out of filament while printed or having to accept unrealistic amounts of waste. (That happens enough on its own with rafts and supports.) I've been doing all my printing from SD card. I have adjusted some settings to avoid overheating but haven't yet looked into slowing down the printing for detail areas. Thanks for the links - I'll check them out when at a computer instead of my phone.

You may not need to do any slow down with your printer. I noticed that if I work with certain materials (PLA is the biggest offender here as it flows very easely), small details that are printed along the Z-axis ("the heigth" if you will) can result in "echo-ing" or "ringing" as it is known. Lowering my printers' acceleration and Jerk settings, adding a filament cooling, lowering the speed somewhat can totally exclude this issue on MY printer, but as I understand it this problem is like : the bigger your printer is, the bigger your potential issue with it will become. Also, and this is something I still need to get my head round, "the stiffer the printer, the worse the problem". I've no idea why (it is said a less stiff frame "works along" to avoid this specific problem) but if true, you can't get much stiffer than using a 4mm thick steel frame now can you. :D

Explaining how it looks like is a bit difficult, it's kinda like a shadowy flat replica or little wave behind the actual printed detail. And many people I know don't even think twice about this, as the effect is done away most of the time during the afterwork/sanding/smoothing/painting stage. But I like my prints to be clean from the bed, with as-little-as possible use of stuff like supports (let alone Rafts) because I'm a believer in the GIGO rule.

To avoid that, I use slow-downs on layers. Also, some material is harder to get to stick to the bed : PETG for example which is said "not to need a heated bed" refuses to stick to my heated bed unless I crank up the bed temperature to somewhere between 95° and 100°C Centigrade and up the extruder temperature to 253°C. But doing that for a full print will cause warping, even when the printer is in a controlled enviroment/enclosure.
Knowing where and when to slow down is something that I learned out of experience. There's no golden rule there.

So by using S3D, I can simply say, "okay, first layer at 100°C Bed, 253°C extruder and speed reduced to 50%" to ensure full stick-on-bed. The second layer will lower temperature to 95°C on the bed and 245°C on the extruder, and upping the speed to 100%. I don't know if there are printers that allow their firmware to give that amount of control when using the "print out of memory" approach but as yet I've not seen that. Theoretically it can be done by injecting these kind of instructions into the G-Code of the Reprap so I can't exclude the possibility that there are printers that can do such stuff. But mine, at least with the current Marlin firmware, can't do that.

As said, depending on what kind of material you print or how big the build space is, you may totally not need that kind of control and printouts using a printers' internal memory will be fine.

It is my idea that the Dremel is build very much with "as fool proof as possible" operation in the back of the mind, sacrificing the liberty of certain choices in the process. But that doesn't make it a worse printer.
It's a tool, and only through your OWN experience with YOUR machine you'll master your printers' oddities and use its strengths to make it shine just as much as by avoiding the weaknesses the design incorperates, something that can be somewhat frustrating and fullfilling at the same time in my limited experience. :D

I pause the print, pull out small remaining strand of filament, put in new filament, manually extrude until it comes out clean, resume prunt.
I buy filament from a buyer on ebay diyinks. Spools are usually well under $20 for a kilo

the reamining abs i turn into glue or smurry and pla like most other people here i use for welding

the reamining abs i turn into glue or smurry and pla like most other people here i use for welding

Hi there ! Wot ? Still no haircut ? :D (he'll understand).
Nice to see you here too ! Welcome ! Where do you get your filament from ? As buying at stuff like diyinks is out of the question (P&P price defeats the purpose), I get my stuff from places like 123print.nl or Reprapworld. But I'm always on the lookout for a better deal. :D

Hi there ! Wot ? Still no haircut ? :D (he'll understand).
Nice to see you here too ! Welcome ! Where do you get your filament from ? As buying at stuff like diyinks is out of the question (P&P price defeats the purpose), I get my stuff from places like 123print.nl or Reprapworld. But I'm always on the lookout for a better deal. :D

actually going to the barber tommorow ;)
for my filament i use hestay and 3dprima because i personally like them. Its not exactly cheap but i just like to order at places i know can be trusted.

I'm currently sticking to REAL filament in PETG. Works very well for me and the price is okay at 25€ for 1KG.

I did use Colorfabb before that for a short time, it costed about as much as Hestay stuff but I can't say I was really impressed by it : except for the Colorfabb's odditiy of permitting smoothing with acetone like ABS does, I did not find any advantages using the material. It was also pretty weak compared to PLA coming from guys like Polymaker.

Actually, Considering most of the guys on this forum are situated outside of Europe, maybe a "tips and hints" for 3D Printer users in Europe wouldn't be a bad thing to start, but putting that into the European Regiment section would exclude a lot of new memebers from sharing their thoughts and experiences.

im currently mostly using pla because it prints pretty clean and easy used a lot of abs before witch is great when you know how to use it and the waste is also quite usefull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back