479 (Red Vs Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentri

I finally began work on my armor. i'm going to try and see if I can have 479 from red vs blue done by Nov. dunno if I will, but I'm gonna try.

Since I am completely new to any armor building, I decided to start off kinda small and began with the neck seal. instead of hot glue, I decided to sew the pieces together.

13275599_693460044126279_880157910_o.jpg

13214715_693460064126277_515015437_o.jpg

The helmet in the pic is not the one for my armor, but I hope to incorporate it with a later build.

looks good i also just made my first armor...just okay took me months but the only parts im missing is the neck seal so seems like a good start.

what type of material did you use? It looks like it is keeping its shape fairly well.

It is actually craft foam. I cut small pieces of fabric to prevent the thread from coming through the foam at the start and finish. I also used industrial strength velcro and onewrap velcro to close it(the onewrap is so I dont have any rough backing rubbing on my neck).

had to go back and look up 479 haha. I always just called her the radio lady or the pilot depending on the season. your build looks incredible. keep at it!

So, I actually made some progress, and came across some issues. Once again starting small, I started with the Ab plate. I'll post pics tonight.

Anyway, now for the question. I know it may seem like a stupid question, but how exactly do I go about making clean, straight cuts? I have an angle tool to help create the 45 degree cuts, but my cutting ability is honestly crap.

DSCN4987.JPG DSCN4988.JPG

Made some progress these past 2 days. Like I said, my cuts kinda suck and everything, but I hope to fill it in and make it better. It's simply just the plain ODST chest for now, but I will be modding it to the pilot chest piece soon. Also, the hip plates are small because they are actually shoulder plates for me.

Question though. does the chest piece look too small compared to the rest of it? The width is good, but I don't know if it's still to small. I had made 1 piece practically kid sized as it is.

Also: added bonus. DSCN4989.JPG Did a quick mock up of a mask for Tracer from Overwatch.

This is a call out for help. I saw on another forum that to help cover edges, that tape and adhesive spray would work. I attempted this and after 3 coats of Plastidip, it...still looks like crap. Meaning that the tape is still visible.

I am at a loss for what to do. should I try and remove the tape, then see about getting some modge podge to cover the seams, or am I just going to have to start over with the chest piece?

I want to try and salvage the one that I have made, but I don't know if it would ruin it or not. The tape that I used is masking tape (which despite the name, did a terrible job at that.)

Well, I tried to salvage the piece...to no avail. The tape came off, but the new to old layers of plastidip will not line up flush, you can see where the tape was removed from. So, looks like I'm starting again. I suppose it will give me an excuse to get my mind off of recent events. Good thing I still have around 4 months.

On a higher note though, I got my helmet that I ordered from Stony props! Hopefully the visor comes in soon!

13616422_711069522365331_1806888214_o.jpg

Hey look! An Actual update! *gasp*

I've rebuilt the torso piece for a third time now, and the chest place is still a WIP. I am nearly done with the helmet now as I have to install the visor and the lining. I know it is the MK B and not the pilot, but I guess I'll just say this is my variation. Even though the original casting is white, I did paint a coat over top of it. Though, I don't know what to do to add more detailing to it. Any suggestions?

helmet 1.jpg

helmet 2.jpg

Your "Call" sign would be cool also...if its a pilot.....

Here's mine for some tips. Has wrong emblem and callsign. Kill count normally goes on the side of your aircraft (pelican in this case), but you're free to put it on the helmet.
87691b33443a8aad565444c54332e4ba.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• 87691b33443a8aad565444c54332e4ba.jpg
    87691b33443a8aad565444c54332e4ba.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for the help guys! I like the emblem and callsign idea.

I've used many emblems across many of the halo games, and I've had many callsigns during my time in Ace Combat clans.

Though I think for my callsign, I'll use my DJ moniker 'Sentri'.

time_for_something_new_by_chaosdynasty-d8gs6s1.png

That's my actual logo (I can remove the wording and just use the emblem). not sure if I wanna go with this or stick within Halo. I mean, it looks like it could be in Halo.

Edit: As I posted this, I realized it was also my profile avatar. (DERP!)

Looks good, but you might get called out on the game crossing. :p Looks like a Portal turret. I Love Portal.

Maybe just the callsign then.

It looks like a turret because that is what it is based from. I'm a TF2 Engineer cosplayer and I too love Portal. Plus I can mimic the turret voice. XD.

Woo! more progress! made the basic mod to thee chest piece. I managed to salvage the ODST piece I made, and convert it to the pilot one.

chest.jpg

Aaaaand....I did a stupid. not realizing the chemical reaction between super glue and clear acrylic, there is now a haze on my visor. luckily it isn't too bad, and I read about a few methods to help decrease it. I can still see out of the visor, and can't really start over because that would require me to buy another visor since I didn't make the helmet or visor.

so, pardon me as I simply go beat my head into a wall repeatedly for my overall stupidity.

So with the issues that I had with my Tex suit, this one has now been pushed to the front. so here's an update on the status of this thing.

Helmet = done
M6 = done
chest = assembled, adding filler with Modge Podge
shoulders = ready for plastidip
ab plate = ready for plastidip
shins = ready to be assembled
thighs = not done
holster = not done
boots = not done

I'm also waiting on stuff to come in for my mic system. I'm hoping all goes well with this one, and have been trying to regain motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back