Props Game Accurate Foam HALO: Combat Evolved M6D

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

Hey 405th!

It's been a while. I have news, slightly sad news I'm afraid...

Basically, I'm stepping back from HALO. I enjoyed the series and all you amazing people at the 405th so very [very, very, very] much that I've decided to finish it all off with two classic builds. Firstly, (as the title says) I will be making the M6D Magnum from HALO: Combat Evolved - out of foam.

(I've never built with foam but I'm sure with all the reference material on these forums I can make it work :D )

M6d-pistol.jpg
The object to be produced ^^^

The second build (which may be prioritized, who knows :confused) is Mjolnir Mark V in Master Chief green... Or there abouts.

Well, I'll be seeing you all later, I hope to have some progress on at least one of my final projects tomorrow, in between studies and the family business.

K-221, signing off.

P.S. It turns out you can get this very pistol in HALO 5... As a REQ thingie... So maybe this build ​is relevant!

M6d-pistol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Update Time!

I didn't expect to post anything on this project for a while.. Who cares?

Today, (about 38 minutes ago at 2200 on my end) I got some preliminary traces done for this prop. It also occurred to me that I haven't explained exactly how I'm building this Magnum.
I regret choosing to do a 'game accurate' prop as it's going to be HUGE. I'm using a similar process as my last prop attempt which can be found here. I'm going to use 2 10mm thick EVA foam layers as a base, supplemented with thinner foam and finally; foamie details. The trace below is the (sharpened) result of playing around with the first person M6D model, getting it 1:1 and then destroying my thigh tendons tracing off my monitor (very gingerly).

IMG_20160531_221245.jpg

Tomorrow, in between other things, I'm going to start drawing out the layers, then I can get a feel for the size of this monster. That'll be my nickname for this thing, the 'Monster6D'. Anyway, I'm tired so I'm-a go to bed, hopefully I can make armour tomorrow, family business hijacked the printer because it's low on ink (Gah, foiled again!).

221, signing off.
:D

P.S. No replies? I don't mind, I'm happy enough just having my work documented.

IMG_20160531_221245.jpg

Don't think that just because you don't get replies that people aren't checking in to see your work. some times you don't get replies for a day or 2 and then WHAM!!!!!! you have 8-9 pages worth or replies and questions and cross-talk......you just keep doing what your going to do......let the thread be what it's going to be.......yours.

Yeah, especially with no W.I.P. pics. Once you start showing your work people will blow your thread up. Your sketch looks great. I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

I've been where you are, wondering if people are even reading my thread. Don't let that discourage you. I think once you reach a point where people can see the build fully take place and you start posting pictures of progress they'll jump in and give feedback. If it helps, I make a point of reading every new post every weekday (makes for a lot of reading on Monday mornings), so I can assure you that even without replies people are checking out your thread.

My thread didn't receive any replies for about two to three days then I started getting replies left right and centre! And look! theres about 4 replies already on the thread that have been posted from other members!!
Im looking forward to seeing this done( Maybe Ill learn a few things:D)
Good luck!

Replies!

Don't think that just because you don't get replies that people aren't checking in to see your work. some times you don't get replies for a day or 2 and then WHAM!!!!!! you have 8-9 pages worth or replies and questions and cross-talk......you just keep doing what your going to do......let the thread be what it's going to be.......yours.

Yeah, especially with no W.I.P. pics. Once you start showing your work people will blow your thread up. Your sketch looks great. I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

This is why I love this community. Though I kinda feel like an attention seeker >.<

My thread didn't receive any replies for about two to three days then I started getting replies left right and centre! And look! theres about 4 replies already on the thread that have been posted from other members!!
Im looking forward to seeing this done( Maybe Ill learn a few things:D)
Good luck!
I doubt you could learn anything from me lol. Either way I don't look forward to the size of this thing...

Little Update!

Like I said I would, I drew up some templates.

I can't get too much epic stuff done on this until I pick up a couple floor mats from out of town (the town I live in is a bit small :lol). I discovered something as I was drawing up the template below, the base layers will be two 10mm bits of EVA foam with a 2mm foam exterior (and it still works out 1:1 ;)). There's a problem which may or may not be evident in the pic, the frame around the edges of the magazine slot will be extremely flimsy due to the beveling I'll have to carry out on the 2mm foam. I had the same problem with my previous Magnum (RIP), I aim to fix this with a hardened layer of card just under the 2mm foam to firstly support the structure and secondly have something to affix the foam to in the first place...

IMG_20160601_200450.jpg

That's all for tonight, I'm not likely to post anything on this until I've got some foam. I'd just like to once again thank everyone who's posted, I feel like I can do this more than ever.

221, signing off.

P.S. I think 'signing off' sounds really cheesy, almost as if I think I'm cool

P.P.S. The scaling is going well on my other, yet undocumented project :ninja

IMG_20160601_200450.jpg

the frame around the edges of the magazine slot will be extremely flimsy due to the beveling I'll have to carry out on the 2mm foam. I had the same problem with my previous Magnum (RIP), I aim to fix this with a hardened layer of card just under the 2mm foam to firstly support the structure and secondly have something to affix the foam to in the first place...
You might want to add a layer of stiff card in between the base layers as well as underneath the 2mm foam layers. Mainly because it'll help prevent the grip from deforming due to the thinly sliced EVA.

Hi 405th.

My laptop is pretty much dead so until I get a new device I can't feasibly post my progress. In the interim I'd like to thank you guys for your support.

I'm still going to keep working and as a teaser to my other project, there's a pic in this post's attachments.uploadfromtaptalk1466724808118.jpg

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back