resin jelly and resin for slushing inside ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guard1an

Hey guys I have been digging through this super helfpful Q&A/search for all things resin related, but I haven't seen one thing mentioned that might end up being a bigger help than your standard rondo mix for slushing inside our helmets for strength, what about mixing the standard poly "bondo" resin and the "resin jelly" together for the slush instead of the normal resin bondo mix ? I mean the resin jelly is just short strand fiberglass mixed in bondo which is just resin and talcum powder for the most part, so in theory if you where to mix the jelly and resin, which of the two hardeners would you use for a catalyst ? I think the mix would be stronger than the rondo and thinner as well.....thoughts ? I am thinking about doing this to my MMPR super power beat down green ranger helmet after a coat or two of resin on the inside before i try this newer slush mix....I posted this over in the new recruit forum, but normally this place is super jumping so i figured i would drop it here as well for some more veteran advice, the helmet will eventually be molded with either full fiberglass jacket for hand laid fiberglass pulls or it will be your standard smooth on slush cast using like Onyx to make it super strong

Thanks as always guys !!,

-Mike 20160607_103532.jpg

Uh.. I would stay away from gel or jelly type resin and stick with the liquid stuff. That gel is really only for boat repair and things like that. It's not easy to work with either

Actually I tested both resin and the jelly, one with the red cream hardener and one with the regular resin MEK, and both harden, the red cream hardener is slower to react at a 50/50 mix with the correct hardener, but with the correct mix of of resin MEK it cooked off much quicker, I say the working time was reduced to 5-7 minutes, granted it was 80% humidity and 89 degrees out, but I am going to rerun the test tomorrow after my two test areas fully cure tonight, just to see if a lower ratio of MEK would slow the cure proccess, and both test subjects were pretty runny for sloshing, once I figure out the right ratio for the slosh I will post my findings

This is what I do. I only put fiberglass resin on the outside. Then for the inside I use plastic resin like onyx fast to harden the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back