Mjolnir Mark VI Master Chief Build - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandarbTX

Hey Everyone,

Been lurking here for awhile and wanted to throw my hat into the ring and share my WIP. I wanted to archive my work but also have a bit of an outlet for build anxiety. Never attempted anything like this before but so far it's been very enjoyable. Starting with the helmet (which is retrospect was probably dumb). I just finished fiber glassing. Had a lot of problems getting the fiberglass mat to lay down flat so I think I'm going to have a lot of problems once I start sanding. Anyway, here's the first few pics. Hope to keep this updated throughout the process. Thanks for reading!

Current Progress:

Helmet: Complete!!
Left Wrist: Fiberglassing
Right Wrist: Spot Putty
Left Shoulder: None
Right Shoulder: None
Chest: None
Cod Piece: None
Left Shin: None
Right Shin: None
Left Boot: None
Right Boot: None
Left Hand: Pepping
Right Hand:None

20160624_120131.jpg

20160624_120159.jpg

20160624_120151.jpg

20160624_120142.jpg

Sanding/bondoing is always the most problematic part (for me), so good luck and I'll be keeping my eye on this picture.

20160625_154627.jpg
Cut our visor and cleaned up the edges.

Got into bondo this weekend for the first time. Definitely have a lot to learn. No matter how many times I added layers, I still ended up with divots and valleys (guessing that's what the spot putty is for). Filling in low areas also seems to be a challenge. Seems like I have to add a lot more bondo than is really necessary. Probably due to lack of skill. Also trying to figure out how to make clean edges. Anyway, for my first attempt, i'm pretty happy with the results.

20160626_200016.jpg

20160626_200028.jpg

20160626_200038.jpg

Your work's looking smooth enough to say you're still working out the method, but I'll drop the same advice I drop everyone starting out on bondo:

Less is more. Ideally you should be working with batches smaller than the size of a golf ball, if that - you can always put more on, but it's hard to take it off once it's on and cured. Plus, if you're worried about crisp edges: mask them off with painter's tape or electrical tape, work your bondo on, then gently peel the tape off when that stuff's turned to a rubbery consistency. Ideally, the layer will be thin enough that any excess you got onto the tape will come off cleanly, and the edge of the tape will 'slice' the bondo like a knife to leave a clean edge.

Thanks Chernobyl, great advice. Does that change when I go about building up the petty big ridges on the back of the helmet? Not sure how to go about doing it. The pep was very flat.

The bondo work continues. Once I get everything covered and smooth, I'm planning to start building up the ridges on top and doing detail which I'm still trying to figure out. Also, I'm starting to get concerned about the helmet size. It's just wide enough that I can squeeze my ears in but I'm wondering if it's too long.

Bondo Detail.jpg

6/30/16

20160630_171113.jpg

20160630_171126.jpg

20160630_171141.jpg

7/4/16

20160704_165937.jpg

20160704_165944.jpg

20160704_165951.jpg

20160704_170001.jpg

Thanks for viewing, it's been a very enjoyable experience so far.

Edit: Just as a side question, does anyone know what the heck the pointy indentions on the side of the robogenesis pep are for? I'm thinking about just filling them in but for the life of me, I can't figure out why they are there.

Work has slowed down quite a bit since I started getting into all the little details. Trying to smooth out the front, keeping my lines as clean as possible and filling in a million little bad spots. I was able to blast the whole thing with some primer which definitely helps. Just trying to not get bogged down in the minutia. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be happy until it's perfect.

Moving on to the gauntlets next but having some trouble with the pep. I'm 6'10" and after scaling, I can't get some of the pieces for the gauntlets to fit on a single page of cardstock. Ordered some legal size 110lb paper which should work but it's a little frustrating.

20160721_085546.jpg

Front is pretty much done, just need to fix a few trouble spots.

20160721_085554.jpg

Roughing in some of the detail on the sides.

Also ordered the helmet lining and electronics / LEDs so will start wiring hopefully next week.

20160722_101823.jpg

Finished the round details on the side and leveling out the ridge to match the right side. Just need to add a few final details and will be ready to paint. Like a dummy, I smoothed out a contour where the red spot putty is in the picture. That's the spot where I need to build up the little angular details on the reference image above. After trying to figure out how to fix and a little dremmel work, it turned out really well. So excited this piece is almost done!

That looks absolutely amazing, it's definitely one of the best VI chief helmets I've seen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Finally starting to close in on the finished product. Primed a couple times and found more stuff to fix. Also roughed in the visor layers. Just need to clean up the edges and it will be ready to mount.

20160729_112844.jpg

hi, great work you've made. I'm just starting pepakura and hoping to make the same armour as you, however when I go to the file archive the mark vi files for the high detail armour only have the right arm, leg etc pieces, do I have to flip them or some thing? I'm really confused, any help will be appreciated.

hi, great work you've made. I'm just starting pepakura and hoping to make the same armour as you, however when I go to the file archive the mark vi files for the high detail armour only have the right arm, leg etc pieces, do I have to flip them or some thing? I'm really confused, any help will be appreciated.

Yes, in pepakura viewer/designer there is an option to mirror the design. This will allow you to make the opposite side.

mandarbTX, Fantastic work so far. I can sympathize w/ your issues of pieces fitting on 1 page. I'm 6'3" and some of the chest pieces in foam are larger than 2 pages can hold. You need to do a little separating while in the pep program. You can separate larger pieces so they can fit on you paper and then reattach after you print it out. It's part of the program and easy to do. In Pep 3 the icon looks like a zipper. click on that and you can separate pieces. I can't remember what the icon is in Pep 4 but it does the same. Just play w/ the tabs up top for a little bit and see what happens to each piece when you do. That's the only way to learn these little tricks. Just do. Just make sure that its a piece that you don't need, a "sacrificial" piece as it were. Great gob on the helmet!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just right click on your mouse. A little menu is gonna pop up which will give you a set of tools. Select (Join/Unjoin) option. Also, the other tools that are available in that menu or commonly use d, especially when scaling up your model. I always end up tweaking the parts in the 2d menu every time to my preferences. Whether it be reorganizing parts to fit on pages, editing flaps, rotating parts, etc.

mandarbTX, Fantastic work so far. I can sympathize w/ your issues of pieces fitting on 1 page. I'm 6'3" and some of the chest pieces in foam are larger than 2 pages can hold. You need to do a little separating while in the pep program. You can separate larger pieces so they can fit on you paper and then reattach after you print it out. It's part of the program and easy to do. In Pep 3 the icon looks like a zipper. click on that and you can separate pieces. I can't remember what the icon is in Pep 4 but it does the same. Just play w/ the tabs up top for a little bit and see what happens to each piece when you do. That's the only way to learn these little tricks. Just do. Just make sure that its a piece that you don't need, a "sacrificial" piece as it were. Great gob on the helmet!!!!

This is really great advice. Had no idea you could split up pieces. Thanks so very much, will help a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe it but I finally made it to painting. Seemed like I was going to be fixing little imperfections forever. While it's still not "perfect", there's a level of small things that I'm prepared to live with.

Anyway, here's the silver under coat for the larger scrapes / dings to the paint with the petroleum jelly applied. I am NOT an artsy person so I wasn't sure about the quantity, size or shape of the scrapes / dings but figured less is more in this case.

20160801_235152.jpg

20160801_235200.jpg

20160801_235208.jpg

20160801_235219.jpg

And FINALLY, did a coat of green last night and even though there's still some painting to do, I couldn't resist wiping off some of the jelly to see what the end result would look like. Will get some more pictures up later today or tomorrow after the final coat of paint has dried.

20160802_081825.jpg

Next is doing the areas that should be black and the wash, then visor mounting and LEDs.

Almost forgot, got my wife a Silhouette Cameo for her birthday yesterday (but I think we all know who it's really for). Hoping that will speed up this process a lot since cutting out the peps takes forever. Will post about that experience once I get it unboxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back