Props Halo armor water cooling kit V1 DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterthethinker

Member DIN
S386
OK Its 4 days till RTX and as much as caboose hates taxis and babys Donut hates TX Heat!
I intend to be the coolest cosplayer at the con!

So Ive been doing tons of R and D in my ONI lab with R134a and R152 cans of * stuff* .
It does work but its bad for the envro
as a open loop system and its VERY easy to over do it and get potently dangerous cool burns.
SO back to Ice water and flow systems..
Today I 3D printed a coldplate to mount above and behind my butt plate .

P1240333.JPG P1240334.JPG

5 H print
the pump/coolant combo is worn on the hip , Its gonna be disguised as a bio-foam can .

P1240335.JPG
99 bucks from frys.
I am bonding tubes to the plate and then bonding a 18 Ga AL sheet to it with eopxy and a heavy weight ..
the plate will be on the skin

P1240337.JPG P1240338.JPG

OK Tube bonding is solid!

Now on to the Al base plate...

Peter

Re: Halo Biofoam water cooling kit

I had/have a similar idea I did using the large Nalgene bottles as the base. It uses a closed loop of water that has a heat exchanger in the bottle then a shirt covered in tubes. I have it mostly assembled, but haven't had time to finish and do testing. Power is pulled from a 12v battery kit (self contained) and it's about 5" 9" tall. I was looking at mounting it sideways on my back belt.

Right now I need to leak check everything with Flouro dye and UV..... * squueeze a highligher works well in a pinch*
the pump Draws 500-600 mA at 12V DC so I need to rig up a Boost PSU to run it on a few LiFePO4 cells .

For how vigorous the flow is I am frankly shocked how little current it draws. I was hoping for under 2 amps at 12V .... half ramp ranges is iceing on the cake!
The batt and the lower unit should fit well in a nice thin wall pipe and then wraped in thinn EVA foam . Ill Print a proper cover another day

some nerd math that mauy be way off as its 1:30 AM
The heat of fusion for water at 0 °C is approximately 334 joules (79.7 calories) per gram Per Wiki ....

a Joule is watt seconds...

so lets say I have a 500 mL resavor of Ice water.
500 Grams of Ice. Ok so crunch some math 167000 Joules of latent Heat.

X 60 Sec then X 60 Min and you get Watt Hours
Or 46 Watt hours.
Its common knowlage to assume 100 watts per body heat load for a A/C system.
so at max cooling its a 30 Min run time .

Its safe to say if the math is right that every KG of ice is a hour of run time ...

not as long I want but there is no reason I cant dasiy chain more tanks of ice.
as much as math is fun , I am gonna just try it tomarrow and see how well it * feels* anyways

---------

A little useless Trivia on Biofoam From ODST

I am good friends with the staff at RevMedx In my home town who makes *real* biofoam like devices for the US armed forces called XStat

https://vimeo.com/99755924
that unasuming little Bldg is doing some ONI level R and D on helping people in real life today .
The world is a small place. VERY small place indeed.

That XStat idea is amazing and will most likely save loads of life's
but back on point
have you got any ideas on how to hide a 2 cell hard case rc buggy battery in a bio foam canister in a way that has it so I can remove the battery?

I did a THING!
Its super potent ! Imean this is IT .... Ive never felt soo much comfort in my life....

405th We NEED to copy this for all of us... Let me do some R and D to make it easy a pie to build . I mean this is not that hard to make and I am willing to help any one who wants with the waterblock.

Let ma paint ya a picture ... stick a bunch of raw ice on your back. its so soothing .

20160626_133618.jpg

Glued in place cold plate . I used a pizza disposable AL cooking sheet cut up.

20160626_134131.jpg

Here is the half way point It just needs some halo effect .

Time to make it look like a halo * thing*

Peter

TaDa ! Chiller is being shipped to the Hotel today .

20160627_063538.jpg

Ive done a few running tests... about a 1.2 H runtime per Ice load

I did a THING!
405th We NEED to copy this for all of us... Let me do some R and D to make it easy a pie to build . I mean this is not that hard to make and I am willing to help any one who wants with the waterblock.

Time to make it look like a halo * thing*

Peter
coolshirt1.jpg
This might work better than a single block in the center of the back.R&D needed though. I was having difficulty finding the quick disconnects needed to make this one work. My current design would fit in an ODST backpack or on the belt (albeit a tad big). Once I get a moment I'll upload my blueprints of it.

You are a genius! The finished product looks fantastic and I'm a very jealous Spartan, you will surely be cooler than me. All I've got is a little helmet fan and my own stamina. I'm thinking about how to fit a camelback water container on my back without the backpack element so that I'll at least have something; I've heard that can be pretty pleasant.

More like middle of back... lolz. Idealy its sewn in to the undersuit to make the effects i. Halo5 undersuit. The break lines ect

After seeing this post I went ahead and bought a CamelBak knock-off water bladder from Academy last night. BCG brand for just $10 for a 3L reservoir compared to the smaller $25 Camelbak one. I plan to use industrial velcro to secure it to my under armor then throw some cold water and ice in it, hopefully it'll help me. The time that I need to relief the most is walking to and from my car so it should be relatively easy to refill the bladder for those times to save me from some suffering.

Dude I so need to super charge this for the Australian heat butt any way thanks for the ripper idea

This is a good idea in principle, but in practise, it's perhaps a little too condensed and localised. Heat dissipation works best over a larger surface area, and having one cold block in a single area is just going to make you uncomfortably cold in that particular area.

With regards to keeping cool in general, it's important to note that your core (torso) is perhaps the most important place to keep cool. Ensuring that your entire core is evenly regulated at a fairly consistent and comfortable temperature is going to keep you going longer in the long term than simply sticking a slab of ice on your back.

Personally, I'd suggest forgoing the idea of a central heatsink and try to work out some form of vest idea that allows an even distribution of coolant.

Sadlly with a 24H build window I had No choice.I had to ship it by Monday AM this week to get to the con,

that thing looks WAY to much like a bomb to take On the flight with me.

I did a weeks worth of tubes and various R134a mix systems and other tests.

https://twitter.com/MegavoltService/status/745505955761119233

that said. the next Rev has Up the spine a set of interconnected blocks ( 2X2 inch ) just like spine pads , this way I have the needed area and the spine covers the tubes effects Win-Win

its VERY hard to hide tube lines under any kinda body suit so I have to get crafty to where its placed.

Trust me this is V1 outta 8 :) I d

that all said the Full up test I did was spot on! It was not too cold nor un comfy ....... I just wish I started this sooner. Ive been to way too many cons where I had to hydrate and hope for the best.

This is a good idea in principle, but in practise, it's perhaps a little too condensed and localised. Heat dissipation works best over a larger surface area, and having one cold block in a single area is just going to make you uncomfortably cold in that particular area.

With regards to keeping cool in general, it's important to note that your core (torso) is perhaps the most important place to keep cool. Ensuring that your entire core is evenly regulated at a fairly consistent and comfortable temperature is going to keep you going longer in the long term than simply sticking a slab of ice on your back.

Personally, I'd suggest forgoing the idea of a central heatsink and try to work out some form of vest idea that allows an even distribution of coolant.

The problem w/ some of these personal cooling vest is that they cost a pretty penny.......some I saw were $300+ USD. And then there were all the accessories that you needed like and extra battery, DC charging unit, ect, ect. It could get very expensive.

The problem w/ some of these personal cooling vest is that they cost a pretty penny.......some I saw were $300+ USD. And then there were all the accessories that you needed like and extra battery, DC charging unit, ect, ect. It could get very expensive.

I'm in complete agreement - I'm just noting out the physics behind the solution. It's always better to cool over a larger surface area than to concentrate your efforts onto one local area.

Irony i found a knee wrap ice chiller with pump and hose and is all new at goodwill yesterday. 7 bucks . So ill use there pad on my back its 4x the area od my pad

Well back from Deadly Heat RTX.

The unit was priceless! and worked better then expected but I ended up not needing it much once at the con as the A/C there was Good! .

however as soon as my shipment from Amtrak arrives back with the cooler in it . Ill get craking on V2.

BTW

Here is the unit I scored
http://www.braceshop.com/breg-polar...61_a_7c29149&gclid=CIeukZ724M0CFYqDfgodkTsJ_g

Here is some off the rack back pads!
http://www.braceshop.com/breg-kodiak-back-intelli-flo-pad.htm

a tad spendy but its dead easy to use

For now ll keep my chiller and mod it with a better shaped 3D priinted ice chamber. ends up the pump is removeable .

But use the pre made Breg pad ( Knee verison ) . casue why not! .

Here is a list of some parts that are crossing my mind to greatly reduce the cost. My pump and chamber was from thermaltake and was 90 bucks . WAY too much for our needs IMO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CPno39L54M0CFQeRfgodGIIDFA&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.robotshop.com/en/6v-mini-water-pump.html?gclid=COOJ1eL64M0CFQdbfgodZ-kInA

both are cheap . I may want to try them for giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back