Making my first Damascus knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuildsByBaz

Sr Member
I've been knife-making for a while now, but a few months ago a knifemaker friend of mine took the time to instruct me on making my own Damascus steel so I could make a very special knife for myself.

We spent a few hours forging the two steels together in alternating layers, finishing with 300 layers for the complete billet. I'll get two knives out of it.

1. First alternating stack of plates.

OAwYbh3.jpg

2. Pressing the plates together.

J6E4dxH.jpg

3. Fine tuning on the anvil

ORMRjKU.jpg

4. Planning the cuts

AoKlUwe.jpg

5. Grinding the scale off

TXyDcjC.jpg

6. Re-stack

z6865Xx.jpg

7. Do it again three times for a total of around 300 layers.

caX5hBb.jpg

8. Clean-up and test-etch to reveal pattern in the billet.

K5ffwh6.jpg

9. Cut billet in half to make first knife. Beat into shape on the anvil.

iUvacLJ.jpg

10. Grind to shape and form.

a7g05ja.jpg

11 & 12. Test-etch in hot vinegar before hardening and tempering because I'm impatient and wanted to see what it's going to look like. All this will disappear again during the heat treatment, but will be re-etched when finished just before the handle goes on.

8Sc1hBX.jpg

IuXgqWr.jpg

Attachments

• OAwYbh3.jpg
    OAwYbh3.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 281
  • caX5hBb.jpg
    caX5hBb.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 261
  • z6865Xx.jpg
    z6865Xx.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 259
  • TXyDcjC.jpg
    TXyDcjC.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 318
  • AoKlUwe.jpg
    AoKlUwe.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 330
  • ORMRjKU.jpg
    ORMRjKU.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 288
  • J6E4dxH.jpg
    J6E4dxH.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 8Sc1hBX.jpg
    8Sc1hBX.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 348
  • a7g05ja.jpg
    a7g05ja.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 325
  • iUvacLJ.jpg
    iUvacLJ.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 316
  • K5ffwh6.jpg
    K5ffwh6.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IuXgqWr.jpg
    IuXgqWr.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 288
I found a burnt stump and took a sample with the chainsaw. I cut it up yesterday and found a lovely fiddleback pattern in it. I'm using that for the handle scales.

1mOGZTH.jpg

Attachments

• 1mOGZTH.jpg
    1mOGZTH.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 308
Oh my.

As a knife guy (owner not maker) I need to say that this looks like it will be amazing.

The fiddleback pattern of the wood should really pick up the striation of the Damascus.

Love the shape too. About a 3 - 3 1/3 inch blade? Perfect.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Dang I was too late to warn you once you start bladesmithing it's dang near impossible to stop. Their just so pretty and they don't take up much if any room so there is always room for one more even after thinking that for the hundredth time.

But if you make too many you could always make some available to friends. Say on an online forum? Where people really appreciate good craftsmanship?

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Today's work. Heat treating, (HT) or hardening the Damascus blade and two 1075 blades.

EBdK8JX.jpg

Three hardened and ready for tempering.

YfaTR7F.jpg

Tempering for an hour or so at 210 degrees Celsius.

ar7oO5N.jpg

The handle scales on the Damascus are only positioned, but not fixed. I've got to etch the blade properly now that it's hardened first. I want to see the pattern at the rear where the steel is exposed too. The 1075 knife needs a couple of tidy-ups then off to put an edge on it.

8XrsA1g.jpg

Calling on old army skills, a lanyard to grip and/or secure.

IdjxiE6.jpg

Attachments

• YfaTR7F.jpg
    YfaTR7F.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 351
  • EBdK8JX.jpg
    EBdK8JX.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IdjxiE6.jpg
    IdjxiE6.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 8XrsA1g.jpg
    8XrsA1g.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 287
  • ar7oO5N.jpg
    ar7oO5N.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 404
Reactions: Jme
Lovely! I don't know much about blades but still lovely!

Thank you! :D

Sheath making. Starting to get the hang of this leather business.

WjrfPwu.jpg

Finished one tonight. Ran out of lace for the other.

W88orUf.jpg

Av8tiKJ.jpg

Look at these sly bastards. Here's me thinking I've bought this massive roll of leather and that I have heaps left to stitch up the rest of my sheathes, when I pull off a metre and find two layers of foam bulking out the roll!!!

Baia9wV.jpg

Attachments

• WjrfPwu.jpg
    WjrfPwu.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 304
  • Baia9wV.jpg
    Baia9wV.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Av8tiKJ.jpg
    Av8tiKJ.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 330
  • W88orUf.jpg
    W88orUf.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 291
Awesome work sandbagger! Knife making is a bit of a dream hobby for me, and hopefully in a few years I'll be living back in the country and have some space for the tools. Keep up the top notch work!

Awesome work sandbagger! Knife making is a bit of a dream hobby for me, and hopefully in a few years I'll be living back in the country and have some space for the tools. Keep up the top notch work!

Thanks mate! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

My first Damascus knife complete! Did a final etch tonight at the Tharwa Valley Forge under the expert instruction of Karim. Amazing chemical process to watch and learn about.

My heartfelt thanks goes out to both Karim of Tharwa Valley Forge and Adam of Fromholtz Knives.

Karim has been so supportive in coaching me from the very beginning of my knife-making.

Adam walked me through the whole process from scratch of making the layered Damascus billet to 300 alternating layers then forging half of it into shape. (I'll play with the other half later).

What a unique experience to learn these old traditions and techniques to make practical tools that are as beautiful as they are functional. After making 60 knives and giving all but two of them away, this is the first proper knife I have made for myself. And I'm keeping it!

KTggFbL.jpg

Attachments

• KTggFbL.jpg
    KTggFbL.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 316
Congratulations SB!

Absolutely beautiful.

Beautiful blade! Loving that leatherworking too! Something I definitely want ot learn. Imagine the uses it would have for custom designs. Pleather and vinyl only go so far haha...

I got the opportunity to Black Smith once in 4H camp and it was by far one of the funnest things I have ever done! This piece looks absolutely magnificent! Great job man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back