First Build: Spartan Emile and Spartan Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah dude I tested the LED's and they where way brighter than I needed them to be and also a little more $ these EL's where on Ebay from china for, $5 each panel and battery box. Gotta love Chinese Electronics!

Update: All right so last night I was able to get a lot of work complete, for one I finished the paint and assembly of the helmet. Not sure it's my best work since I rushed that, especially the visor. But seeing as how this was an older version of Dutch Props Emile visor and he will be sending me the updated version later on I will be able to have a second chance at this.

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

Still need to add the UNSC decals around the chin area and put padding in the Helmet, Also I've been looking at so many damn reference Pics and some are different and I can't make up my mind on this. On the Bottom of the back of the Helmet there is this lower section that either appears to be the same gun metal grey as the rest of the helmet, or as some other pics will have me believe it is a flat OD green or grey. Not sure which way I should go on that any Advice?

Also Was able to make my gloves last night. Eventually I will get around to making the individual finger armor but the hand plat will have to do for now.
photo 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Also I'm still missing 2 items from the Check list as far as attachments go for Emile, I have not complete the 40MM grenade belt and the tan Drop Leg pouch ugghhhh. Was kinda stressing myself out last night because I have some minor family issues occurring but I was questioning if I should debut this at NYCC with minor details missing or should I wait for it to until another big convention? Decisions decisions....

Build looks awesome man! As for the helmet colour I'm not quite sure which lower section you mean but I looked at a bunch of pictures of his helmet and I think I see which part you mean that varies a lot in pictures. Am I correct in assuming it's the back section that sticks out the most and wraps around the bottom of the helmet to the front on both sides? If it is then I recommend making it the same colour you have for the rest of your armour, the kind of OD green you mentioned, and have the other parts the gun metal grey you have now.

Schankerz this is the section I'm referring too. Should have probably included this in my last post haha...
46a698e40770ac03b4015a21876eb8b9.jpg
Anyways this is the only photo with the OD like that, while the other ones are just all Gun Metal. Still debating because I like a little flat OD Grey/Green that may accent well with the rest of the metal, But I want to stay true to the actual Emile bucket design.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree that the OD grey/green would accent really well with the rest of the metal and I'd say you should go with that. Having this section the same colour as the section above it (The grey metal part in the picture) might not look as good and may give the impression that you forgot to paint it or something. :p But if you are concerned about staying true to the actual design I'd suggest making the bottom section a darker grey (not incredibly darker but just enough to notice it's different) than the gun metal grey used for the rest of the helmet, it should still have that accented look and squander and worries you may have. :)

Sounds good I'm going to go with your advice :thumbsup I'm probably going hit it with an ultra flat clear coat after I get the new grey on there as well, I think it will give a subtle pop if there is such a thing haha. Thanks Bro!

I made a thing, and in one night :wacko. I almost forgot to actually make this before hand, but luckily I didn't have much on my agenda last night so it was pretty simple I used 2mm foam, contact cement, and then I sealed with plastidip and painted. Not sure if I gave the shells an adequate drying time but it seemed pretty solid this morning when I attached them to the forearm.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG
It was actually really simple since it was just 3 templates, it was just repetitive because I had to do it 6 times.... Non the less one more thing I don't have to worry about.

Reactions: Jme
Alright Well NYCC starts tomorrow for me and my armor and I can't wait!!! So last night I was able to finally get around to adding the strapping from the shoulders to the biceps, and did a test fit of everything and it is the most comfortable armor I've ever made. I still need to add more padding to the helmet, and also waiting for my wife to finish sewing the drop leg pouch which will be attached tonight. But excluding the 40mm grenade belt everything is complete.
photo 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.JPG

Here's one with my ugly mug...;)
photo 1.JPG

I realize there are some issues with the bucket but I found some old Motorcycle padding lying around the house that will improve the fit and the way it sits on my head significantly. I also realize it may be a little bigger than I expected. So I may redo it in foam as I stated before and use this one from Dutch Props as a bust and display it on my wall Because it is an absolutely amazing piece of work, just a little to big in comparison to the rest of my body.

So I'll keep updating on this regularly, remember I still have all my wife's armor to take care of, so stay tuned for that.

what do you use to paint those pieces? it has to be airbrushed...

this is amazing! I cant wait to see pictures from NYCC... awesome work man! :thumbsup

Thanks Private Jenkins, and I wish I had an airbrush, thinking about investing in one from Harbor Freight Tools. Right now I'm just using acrylic paints and those 99 cent foam brushes, they are very handy for weathering and metal streaks for battle damage. Also watching a lot Bob Ross doesn't hurt haha.

I will definitely make sure to get some good shots at NYCC and post them after the weekend ;).

Dude.

Simply fantastic.

Have an amazing time at NYCC.

(God I wish my wife were into this...).

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

So NYCC was an absolute success, my only regret is that the drop Leg Pouch could've been worked on a little more to make it look more accurate, and the Grenade Belt was not included. Either way that just means that this thread is a long way from complete. So this week I will most likely be working on the drop leg pouch getting the buckles and straps more accurate and also starting to make shins for my wife's Kat, after the convention she told me immediately we have to start up her Kat again! (@Jme I am a truly lucky guy to have my wife so into this lol.) Anyways as promised some awesome pics from NYCC we tried organizing a last minute Halo meet-up and had a pretty good turn-out I would say.

photo 1.jpgphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3.JPG

Almost 2 weeks since my last update, sorry for the delay Guy's, so my wife finally made an account here and is a new recruit, so please welcome her with open arms as you did for me :love Spartan Vader and she has been helping me with this build for the past 2 weeks. She's helped me on the leg components for her Spartan Kat, and just gave her an assignment for her forearm without any supervision from me. I have the upmost trust in her that it will turn out perfect Trying to get her into the swing of things around here updating info and also taking pics so she can make her own threads. But either way I'm just happy to have a woman in my life that shares the same passion as me.

Alright back to the task at hand, So we started the legs right after NYCC and we've hit a few snags but easy fixes. So far we have the shins and thighs assembled, we had assembled the knee's but realized there was to many difference between reference photos and the pep file so we are going to reassemble with some added templates of our own design. The thighs and shins are at the bare minimum right now and we will be going back and making 2mm foam templates for minor detailing, as well as minor adjustments on the thighs because they sit to low on her leg. Nothing a little slit and added foam won't take care of, I really don't feel like redoing the thighs and wasting all that foam haha.

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPGphoto 4 (1).JPG

Also still need to make a template for that piece right at the top of the Shin below the Knee pads, so hoping to have that done this weekend.

photo 4.JPGphoto 5.JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 1.JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

Hoping to work thru the weekend to get the details and knee's done, maybe even start on the boots since we spent yesterday cutting out templates for them, so keep your eyes peeled on Monday ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update not so much progress as I would like but we are taking it a little slow, doing a tutorial video for our youtube channel. But I was able to get some details finished on the thighs and shins, and knee pads complete.
photo 1.JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

In the first pic you can see 2 sets of knee pads, that's because the first ones we did we tried going in head first and didn't look at enough reference photos. But we are very satisfied how they came out in the second round. Hoping to attach them together to the shins tonight along with starting the COD piece and boots. Things might go slow in November but we are hoping to pick up things up where we left them after some convention stuff.

always a pleasure to see another Emile around here

Dude your Build was one of the first ones I saw that inspired me, I must tip my hat to you sir! :thumbsup If it wasn't for your thread and me looking at every single photo relentlessly I would've never gotten it done.

Sorry I've been MIA guys been hard at work on Spartan Buck/ Helljumper. I originally thought it was going to be just a test piece but then it kinda stuck with me, so looks like I'm going to be completing that project. Anyways not a big update but I did manage to get the Boots done this weekend and will have the Cod complete tonight. Along with resized thighs, me and my wife agreed that they didn't seem to sit correctly on her so we did a little correction to fix it. Hoping to have lower body test fit pics for tomorrow.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG

A full helljumper suit will be awesome! Are you going to make the helmet this time though? Last time I checked (Around 2 months ago so it could be inaccurate) there wasn't anyone selling helljumper casts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back