First Build: Spartan Emile and Spartan Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was able to finish painting in one night still need to add decals and little weapons stickers on to the shotgun but over all I'm pretty satisfied. Quick question for anyone who might have the answer? So I am debating on weathering it with a black wash maybe even a little dark brown for rust, even though a Spartan should always keep his weapon clean;), but should I clear coat the weapon first and then give it a wash or should I apply the wash first and then clear coat it? Or should I just clear coat it and forget about the wash, I already gave the bang up treatment with silver for scratches and raised edges should that be enough? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3.JPG

Depending on what you're using for a clear coat I'd say that you've got the right idea with your plan to clear coat and then dark wash/grime up. Doing it in that order makes it a bit easier to wipe away excess paint or ink and really let you go to town.

As for visuals I'd avoid rust and stick to oil smears and scorch marks just to make it look like it's a well used and loved weapon.

Haha I figured rust should not be an equation on a well loved weapon ;). I was using my action figures shotgun for some referencing and I guess the painter likes brown wash more than black wash, Thanks for the response TurboCharizard always appreciate some second insight!

So I managed to pull some overtime here working on the attachments to Emile's armor, I was able to build the grenades that attach to the front of the torso, I plan on attaching them tonight they are made of PVC 1 1/2 inch fixtures and foam with 1 inch nylon straps I think I might reinforce the back of the grenades with a piece of plastic to they don't get all lop sided. also hoping to paint the blade as well tonight I gave it a few coats of pva and plasti dip and its pretty hard surprisingly. I didn't have enough time get the 65D but hoping to have it for my wifes armor which I'm planning on working on after NYCC, as far as the Grenades on the belt go if I have time I may finish them in time but doubt it because I don't want to rush anything. more pics tomorrow hopefully. I wish I had taken better progress photos, but like I said working in overtime mode and I always forgot to snap the camera haha. :facepalm
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPG

unfortunately Noodle109 all my reference photos are taken with a phone and aren't the best, I'll try to take better shots because I've actually added some decals and weapon serial numbers to the shotgun so I'll make sure to post updated photos tomorrow, You can also check my Instagram @be_cosplay I may have put some better shots on there.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was able to get some painting and attachments done Last night, I can finally say I have a complete Emile Torso with the attachments now :D. And the Blade was attached to the shoulder which I might redo again after NYCC its a bit flimsy, more so than I thought after the coating process, I might remake it out of sintra. Also some great news I received my Emile lid from Dutch Props which is beyond amazing, going to start working on that as soon as I have everything else finished which I think I have just enough time. This will be a lot easier than making from scratch even though I feel like cheating. At some point in time I may revisit making my own just so I can have it, and putting Dutch's helmet after its complete on display.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPGphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Looking fantastic!

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Dutch props sent a Visor with the kit, its his older version but still pretty good. He says he will be sending me a updated one that is more solid later on, he just wanted to get this to me in time for NYCC. I was actually debating leaving the resin cast on there and trying to figure out some sort of tablet go pro deal with the helmet because it actually has enough space in there, but probably shouldn't have a screen that close to my eyes all day haha.

Thanks combinestrider :D, also no LED's here, they are EL panel's which we're surprisingly a lot easier to work with. Check them out the next time you get a chance, I think for now on I will be recommending them over LED's haha.

Okay so I should have made this post last Friday but didn't get a chance ughhhh deadlines suckkkkkk!!!! Anyways so this weekend I worked non-stop getting last minute things together. First off the new thighs are complete after resizing and adding on new attachments I'm really pleased with how they came out and couldn't be happier how they fit to me. If you notice on my last suit they where a bit bulky and didn't fit to well, just kinda dangled there. Anyways fixed that and coated and painted them in one weekend.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG

Also had a chance to work on the helmet dremmel, sand, paint, etc.. I only took shots of the dremmeled and sanded bucket didn't take any photos of the paint job yet. waiting to complete before I get a good shot. and then I test fitted all the new stuff which fits very nicely I'm hoping its not too crowded in NYCC this year and I have some space to move around haha
photo 3.JPGphoto 4 (1).JPGphoto 5 (1).JPGphoto 3 (1).JPG

Looking great. Those thighs turned out really well, you did that fast!

It must have been a little scary doing that first cut to that beautiful helmet.

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Haha you know it ;) I had my fingers crossed the whole time, at first I was debating on not even touching it and just painting it and walking blind haha. Overcoming my fears one cut at a time...

Baby steps.

I am about to start cutting light ports and it is terrifying me!

But if you can make the first cut, I can too.

Thanks combinestrider :D, also no LED's here, they are EL panel's which we're surprisingly a lot easier to work with. Check them out the next time you get a chance, I think for now on I will be recommending them over LED's haha.
Oh wow didn't even notice haha yea they defiantly look a lot better than LEDs would've!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back