HELP! I'm using Maya and have No idea what i'm doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPO mendez

Alright, so i searched through the thread list to find ANY request/help thread for maya that i could post this in, but couldn't find anything. so as much as i hate making a whole thread for my dumb questions, it's what i gotta do. Basically, i'm using maya to convert .OBJs to .STLs, as well as tweaking stuff in general. one of the tweaks i gotta do is cutting some of the files into pieces so they can fit on the 3D printer's build plate, like so:
Screenshot 8.png

Problem is, when i cut them into pieces, it leaves a hole and makes my slicer throw a big tantrum about the faces. now, the best help i could find from googling and scouring Autodesk's forums was the "fill hole" function, which worked on some smaller, much simpler holes on other models, but when it came to the ship pictured above, it won't close the holes! any ideas on how to help?

Here's the file for anyone that wants to take a look for themselves:
https://www.4shared.com/file/TNKsTRwtba/CAS-Class_Cruiser_seperated.html

for converting files max and maya both do fine (for modeling i use max) and for cutting files to fit in your printer use netfab. import the files cut them (it fills the holes directly) and use the repair tool to close all the holes the cutting left. really easy best way to go

I agree with Ashgro. I used netfabb to directly cut my OBJs. I did have to use Blender once to clean up some rough edges for another separate project.

Last edited by a moderator:
i make my models in 3d max and alway cut them with netfab its easy to use and saves a hell of a lot of time

For just cutting parts, I use Netfabb as well. Though here's a trick for a one-off print. I place the mesh in the slicer program, then move the 'bottom' of the object, relative to the build plate, below the build plate. The slicer program just generates g-code for only what's above the build plate. If you keep notes on the X, Y, Z coordinates when you do move the object below the build plate, you can flip it over, do some math on the Z coordinate, and print the half that wasn't printed.

Another program that's free is Meshmixer, it has a more advanced, albeit 'fragile' mesh repair function. And after comprehending the capability of 'boolean' mesh functions, you can chop STLs in just about any way you want. Especially to get them to fit within the confines of the printer. Meshmixer and Netfabb have differing sets of CAD file formats they will import, so you do not have to convert any particular mesh on your way to producing an STL file. Though word of warning, most mesh designers were not thinking about 3d printers when creating their models, and can be a bear to successfully get them through a CAD program and export a printable file. I'm even having trouble with files that are supposed to be printable, versus something just pulled off 3d warehouse.

Here is a HUGE problem . there is Mech CAD and other ..... solidworks and inventer and fusion 360 are all mech cad... Maya and blender are NOT industry Mech cad.
In my last job in aerospace We used solid works ....

Yes you can use both but its a PITA to mod some files . you can see it IN the way the Polys are arranged .

Netfabb IS the gold standard for repair in my home. its never failed me in a way I cant work with.

Bender IS the gold standard for mesh to soild . Its VERY good and its FREE and runs on a toaster to a full PC . No OS ties.

Meshmixer is OK for a interum viewer and for scaling . for pre slice . * diceing * I use the plane cut command and its Great !
I can lob off chunks at a time .
I can also wrk with the shells and get rid of extra polys .

The cool part is all the progarms I use are Cross platform. I can be on my mac book pro * right now * and do work. OR be on my Desktop on W7 and do Heavy work
then my laptop I have tied to the printrs are in W7 .....

Thanks Peterthethinker, I've recently become aware of the wider set of tools that are available through these free/open CAD programs. For example. Meshmixer repair either does bizarre things to the STL files (thingiverse, maybe that's my first clue) or it crashes. I've been exploring combinations of tools to get from "someone else's print" to what I want, so your tips will be a great time saver for me. And if not for my latest project, where I have only two objects left to print, the time it takes to modify a set of files versus just drawing them from scratch in fusion360 (for example) are looking to be the same.

Agreed on Meshmixers cut plane function. Much easier to use for just lobbing stuff off an object. Though I like how I can quickly zoom in to the sub-millimeter views in Netfabb and absolutely nail the transition from one sub-component to the next.

Bender IS the gold standard for mesh to soild . Its VERY good and its FREE and runs on a toaster to a full PC . No OS ties.

Got to agree with peterthethinker on this one. Blender is my go to when creating anything from scratch to manipulating existing models(obj, stl). Takes a little work getting used to if you are learning from scratch like me, but well worth the invested time.

Got to agree with peterthethinker on this one. Blender is my go to when creating anything from scratch to manipulating existing models(obj, stl). Takes a little work getting used to if you are learning from scratch like me, but well worth the invested time.

I'm happy to help you out with questions - I've been using Blender for probably seven or eight years at this point, starting from self-taught basics, so if there's anything you're unsure of, shoot me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back