Help making a Halo 4 Recruit Helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Primer

Hi everyone, I'm making my first Halo costume, and even though I have experience making costumes in general, I need help with this helmet. I'm going to use Pepkura with EVA garage padding foam. Do you all think that would be a good idea, or no, or have suggestions? Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Sounds like a good plan indeed - I'm pretty sure that EVA foam padding has been used before, although I'd personally go for something a little more light-weight and breathable, to ensure you don't end up roasting your head like a potato in an oven.

I'm pretty sure that EVA foam padding has been used before, although I'd personally go for something a little more light-weight and breathable, to ensure you don't end up roasting your head like a potato in an oven.
I personally use yoga-mat foam, which doesn't soak up your sweat at all and is easy to clean with water. It's also really strong, but difficult to work with (It doesn't reform with heat etc). It works quite well, it's *just* the right amount of squishy to not crush your head and give you a nice padding altho it IS a gigantic isolator and good ventilation is VITAL when you use it. I'm fairly certain the foam (garage padding foam?) in question would bring the same effects.

Even tho it's entirely possible to use EVA for padding, and it works quite well, it might be better to invest in a motorcycle helmet padding set, or even scavenge one out of a (old) second hand helmet. Good luck!

What material do you think? 6 mm foam? maybe?

Entirely depends on how large the space between your head and your helmet is. I suggest to build your helmet first, and think about the padding later.
I personally use something which looks to be around 6mm, altho it is not the same density as (for example) floor mats. It's a lot more squishy.

What about upholstery foam?

Also, better not pad the whole helmet but just the key areas - giving you the room to breathe and keeping you comfy at the same time.

You might wanna look into pepping out your helmet with card stock and fiber-glass/resoning your helmet? That's what we did and it has some pretty decent air flow, and it is more durable as well.

There are lots of tutorials on here that can help you with figuring out the best way to do the paper pep of your helmet.

I know a guy on Facebook who is selling two casts now if you'd want to just buy one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It's not a bad idea, I say go for it. Whatever you think is best for you, go for it.
From my experience, it's a fairly easy helmet to build. That's not to say that it doesn't have it's tricky parts but it's definitely on the "for beginners" side of the spectrum. I made mine out of EVA foam too, hardened it with PVA glue and now I'm thinking of what color I should paint it. Go for it!!

Edit: nvm, I misread. But ah well. I still say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back