ODST foam build- Veronica Dare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all :) the case will be latched up into place so it can't fall, just figuring how best to do that :)

My best guess to keeping everything in place is to hide a pair of buckles on the reverse side of the MDF box so that it's being held up by webbing straps and buckles as well as with friction. It won't tip in the horizontal as long as the packs foam is rigid enough.

that is mazing! so much attention to detail! great work, I cant wait to see the finished product painted! really love the pack! great idea!

Running over those last detail bits now, like adding the webbing strap loops, dremel work, and detailing I missed on my first run over :) While hubby has very nicely been starting on the sealing with PVA glue (thanks Jobe Devian!)

What do you get when you combine two bobby pins, some wire, craft foam, clear plastic shelf liner, the cut off end of an old wooden paint brush, a hair clip, super glue and a set of sports headphones with their wires cut off?

temporary_zpscypafrnu.jpg

temporary_zpszir3ioka.jpg

It's close enough for my liking anyway and sits just above my hairline to sit flat :) Painting it on the other hand could be interesting...

Attachments

• temporary_zpscypafrnu.jpg
    temporary_zpscypafrnu.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 159
  • temporary_zpszir3ioka.jpg
    temporary_zpszir3ioka.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 146
It looks great, and to see a sister Dare is wonderful. There are a few of us. I have the backpack as well. I like how you did yours. Mine is magnetized to my back plate and has an opening door on the front instead. The headset is NOT easy to make in the least bit.

For the shoulders get an old backpack and take off the straps with their padding. It makes just about the right look for what goes over her shoulders and attaches to the breastplate.

If you want I have a pattern for the undersuit that has the leatherish material on the shoulders that Dare has on hers. You can see the link for it in my signature

It looks great, and to see a sister Dare is wonderful. There are a few of us. I have the backpack as well. I like how you did yours. Mine is magnetized to my back plate and has an opening door on the front instead. The headset is NOT easy to make in the least bit.

For the shoulders get an old backpack and take off the straps with their padding. It makes just about the right look for what goes over her shoulders and attaches to the breastplate.

If you want I have a pattern for the undersuit that has the leatherish material on the shoulders that Dare has on hers. You can see the link for it in my signature

thanks that would be amazing! That was going to be my next step after the upcoming event, and a pattern will help greatly even if it is only the starting point! For now my shoulder straps are foam but I'm not happy with them in the long term. For now, with the tight schedule I'm on, they will do however.

the paint I've used is a bit lighter than I expected and than I would have liked but again, it'll do for now. I'm going to need to do more painting later anyway so I'll review it all after this event, but if I am the general right colour and all put together then I'll be happy at this point!

Okay, this is one very shiny ODST but I don't care right now- my armour is almost all put together. Thats good enough for this event. Detailing, adjusting of the paint colour, weathering etc can come later.

temporary_zpsfbzix9n8.jpg

temporary_zpsumfzvj0f.jpg

temporary_zpscquxnf3l.jpg

First time with all the armour on- yes, I know, I am missing my knee plates, inner thigh pieces, gloves, crotch plate and headset, I'm holding my ab plate in place and ignore the undone shoe laces, pieces not quite centred, messily shoved up hair and the extra pouch on my belt. The belt is also used for trooping with my Reach armour and the pouch is very difficult to remove, and since I'm wearing the Reach armour Saturday and ODST on Sunday, I'd rather not remove it for trial fits.

This last week has been two steps forwards one step back, and I hands down haven't had luck with the paint. The gunmetal grey came out much lighter than I was expecting, so I'm gonna have to do more layers later and darken it. I got some vinyl paint to do the headset which stated it was charcoal grey... it's more a mid to light grey, so again not happy... but again it will have to do for now. Today I also discovered that one of my pieces- the crotch plate- got completely missed when it came to painting. It remained under a pile of stuff on my lounge and I just found it today when I went hunting for it to attach it and realised it wasn't with the painted bits. Then I thought I had enough snaps, only to find tonight that I didn't.... Sigh. The hassles of costuming!

I do need help/ opinions with a detail however. On Dare's chestplate she has the UNSC symbol but I'm having a hard time trying to identify what it is. In the promo style shots of Dare (like the one on the Halo wiki page) it appears to be the more standard one like this, but possibly with longer font and not the UNSC letters:

latest?cb=20150929040338

However when you look at in game shots, it looks more like it could be this symbol with the triangle and eye, and the font does look like it is long enough to say "Office of Naval Intelligence"

ONI_emblem.jpg

Problem is, when you zoom in on the screen shots all you get is a vague blur, and different angles make it look different- even the in game shots vs the in between mission vids shots it looks different! So I'm not sure which is the 'right' answer in this case. Any pictures I try to find online aren't detailed enough to show definitively which it is. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Attachments

• ONI_emblem.jpg
    ONI_emblem.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 145
  • latest?cb=20150929040338
    latest?cb=20150929040338
    97.3 KB · Views: 173
  • temporary_zpscquxnf3l.jpg
    temporary_zpscquxnf3l.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 153
  • temporary_zpsfbzix9n8.jpg
    temporary_zpsfbzix9n8.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 147
  • temporary_zpsumfzvj0f.jpg
    temporary_zpsumfzvj0f.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 144
Some photos from the weekend- the suit is far from done and there is a lot of work left to do, including a bit of trimming and changing bits, but it is at least recognisable as an ODST suit and it was well received at the small con :)

temporary_zpsq2psqjbj.jpg

temporary_zps6sbwkeed.jpg

temporary_zpssvyvhe8k.jpg

temporary_zps9b1ijdir.jpg

temporary_zpsazlgmh7q.jpg

Attachments

• temporary_zpsq2psqjbj.jpg
    temporary_zpsq2psqjbj.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 151
  • temporary_zps6sbwkeed.jpg
    temporary_zps6sbwkeed.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 148
  • temporary_zpsazlgmh7q.jpg
    temporary_zpsazlgmh7q.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 161
  • temporary_zps9b1ijdir.jpg
    temporary_zps9b1ijdir.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 154
  • temporary_zpssvyvhe8k.jpg
    temporary_zpssvyvhe8k.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Jme
Okies, finally got back to this after other costumes, getting sick, Christmas, more being sick, getting injured and more being sick... It's been an annoying and trying few months!

This is being worn for Oz ComicCon Perth pretty much in the current state in the photos below, though there is a LOT more work still to come once thats passed :) First and foremost as far as change, I resprayed to a darker grey as I was unhappy with how light the previous gunmetal grey was. Now I'm much happier with it!

A table full of parts!

temporary_zpsxlhkgarw.jpg

Thanks to Command getting the Dare game textures up in the archives, I could finally get her chestplate emblem done (a combination of hand stencilled and hand drawn in)

temporary_zpse08bdbmr.jpg

First test fit since repainting and light weathering (ignore my messy hair :p). The shoulder pieces are in production, the headpiece is sitting outside drying from being resprayed as well.
temporary_zpslh3tw0n1.jpg

temporary_zpsfhlzgsbg.jpg

temporary_zpskjbpjxyc.jpg

temporary_zpshnnx2aps.jpg

Great job on the suit....it looks FANTASTIC!!!!! Like it's right out of the box new.......sniff.....sniff.....paint is still drying.......getting a head rush.

not quite, it has been lightly weathered though that's hard to see in photos coz the metallic paint shines through from underneath :) since Dare isn't as battle worn as the others I didn't want to go over the top with weathering, especially when I just have to redo the thighs and bracers with the camo finish after this anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back