Halo and Cosplay Library Program, Chicago Area, Illinois, November 12th saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

sassmaster

hello everyone if you didn't know i currently work at a library in Illinois and we tend to have cool art programs for people to sign up to take/participate. since getting a new director for the library she has been pushing for more programs that are unique for the public and after attending anime midwest i talked to the programming director about having a panel to discuss/how to make different types of halo armor/show how to make a simple piece of armor. she really like the idea, so far i have been discussing it with her and i was hoping to have it in octobber but i was too late to the punch cause the newsletter came out already. anyway im going for a weekend in november to set up shop and so far it is looking good, im hoping to have some other members that live close to the area where i work so the patrons can see what a completed set of armor looks like. I'm still carving out the details and things can change and i'm open for other ideas for the panel, well here is the rough draft of the agenda i made which can be changed later on. (hopefully i can post something like this, and if not my bad i'm still new to the site)
21.png

Re: Halo armor making panel at a library...KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!!!

This might go with cosplay isn't consent, but my friends and I have wanted to spread around a rule that might fit in well with this. it's called "butts on the floor, photos no more." What is meant is that if a cosplayer is sitting down (floor, chair, or otherwise), someone can ask for a photo, but not just take one of them sitting there. It is also the right of the cosplayer to deny any photos at that moment.

I've had this happen where people have just taken pics of me sitting down while waiting in line, or eating lunch or various other times. Very rarely have I ever turned down a photo, but for those who I have, don't storm off all miffed because it's late sunday, I've got all my bags, and headed out to my truck (yeah, that happened too).

yeah, that is one of the biggest things i wanted to tell people who have not attended a con before, even though some people may be wearing a saucy cosplay doesnt mean you can act any way you want. what you said can also go into the talk, like i said earlier this paper is only a rough i just typed up when i had some free time at work

im not trying to sound whiny, but i know a decent amount of people viewed this and im trying to shoot for this panel to happen at my library, the library is located at "1405 S Park Ave, Streamwood, IL 60107". i just like to get everything sorted out early on so if any unforeseen circumstances happen i can deal with them. even if one person can help out when i do the panel it is much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

I think it's really nice that you're offering us this event. If we could narrow it down to a specific date, you may get more response. While we do have a few people in the area, keep in mind you're heading into the time of year where people are planning on spending time with family and may be travelling out of state. I'm sure you would get participation from the public, cosplay is a growing subject that people like to get information on.

As a side note, I can offer to help with outlines and other background work if needed.

i was thinking of having it the first weekend or second weekend of November

That's a great start. If you can pick one, maybe we can help get the word out that you're needing help on that specific day :)

AJ, I understand your frustration with no one posting an interest in actively participating in you event yet. However, you need to realize that:

Your thread has only been up for 2 days. Yes there are many "Views" on it, but, people in other Regiments, and even regular non Regiment Members can see this part of of the MidWest Regiment's Forums. They can just not post in it. There is no guarantee that those views are from members of our Regiment. Additionally many members of our Regiment do not check these Forums everyday, or even every week. It is a big goal of Division Command Staff to bring more people back to the Forums to help generate more community and to help small events like this get more notice. The push to the Forums is still an ongoing process that we are working on.

Further more you have not provided a set date, only "a weekend in November." People tend to be hesitant agreeing to attend an event with no specific date, and even more so the further out it is. Also, before your last post you did not specify which part of Illinois your event was in. People are also hesitant to agree to an event when they do not know where it is.

Perhaps if you edited the Title of your thread to be more specific like "Halo and Cosplay Library Program, Chicago Area, Illinois, November [Date]" you might be able to attract the attention of people in the near by vicinity who can assist you.

yeah that is completely understandable, im sorry for getting upset. i didnt realize the views could be from people that cant post. you are completely right Cadet, i guess im not use to these sort of things yet. i just have to figure out how to change the name of the thread

yeah that is completely understandable, im sorry for getting upset. i didnt realize the views could be from people that cant post. you are completely right Cadet, i guess im not use to these sort of things yet. i just have to figure out how to change the name of the thread

It's okay. You are excited about your event, that is just want I want to see in our Members. I've been involved with Costuming Organizations, mainly the 501st, since 2003. I know a lot of tips and tricks about organizing and running events. There is a pretty good Template we used to use in my old Garrison when posting events. I should make a pinned thread here in our Section about guidelines/tips for posting events to help out people like yourself. One of those things that I've been doing for so long that I forget that that not everyone knows the best way to advertise their event. That's on me, and I do apologize for not better getting that kind of information out there.

You should be able to edit the title of your thread if you edit your First Post, or, I can do it for you.

It's okay. You are excited about your event, that is just want I want to see in our Members. I've been involved with Costuming Organizations, mainly the 501st, since 2003. I know a lot of tips and tricks about organizing and running events. There is a pretty good Template we used to use in my old Garrison when posting events. I should make a pinned thread here in our Section about guidelines/tips for posting events to help out people like yourself. One of those things that I've been doing for so long that I forget that that not everyone knows the best way to advertise their event. That's on me, and I do apologize for not better getting that kind of information out there.

You should be able to edit the title of your thread if you edit your First Post, or, I can do it for you.

yeah that would be great if you could put up a template of what you used to use and thanks for pointing out how i can change it, i should be able to talk to the program director tomorrow when i get into work and we can decide on a date then i can post it on here.

Re: Halo and Cosplay Library Program, Chicago Area, Illinois, November [Date tba soon

alright so i was talking to my boss and it seems like we are looking at november 5th which is a saturday, again the address is "1405 S Park Ave, Streamwood, IL 60107" Poplar creek public library. i would link the facebook page of the library, however im at work now and they block it *sobs*. right now im just waiting on a reply for the time it will be scheduled, if you are curious the library is open from 9am-5pm so it wont be a late night one

update-8/9/16

the date is set and the time for the panel is from 12-3, i set it up that way since the library closes at 5 there will still be time if the panel runs into overtime

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Halo and Cosplay Library Program, Chicago Area, Illinois, November 5th saturday

should i possibly post this in another form or something?

Re: Halo and Cosplay Library Program, Chicago Area, Illinois, November 5th saturday

Man I really wish that I had the free time to go and/or just be a part of this (#GraduatingStudentProblems) I would only be about 6 hours away but I cant sacrifice a study weekend.

If you need any materials, That I might be able to provide (images, examples) I would love to help the best I can.

but I just wont be able to get out there for the event.

Man I really wish that I had the free time to go and/or just be a part of this (#GraduatingStudentProblems) I would only be about 6 hours away but I cant sacrifice a study weekend.

If you need any materials, That I might be able to provide (images, examples) I would love to help the best I can.

but I just wont be able to get out there for the event.

yeah it's cool that you can't make it,there are things more important than a panel (i know, how dare i say that XD). yeah, im basically making a powerpoint going over the basics. so if i can get examples of other people it would be great. dont worry, i'll make sure to say whose armor it is

yeah it's cool that you can't make it,there are things more important than a panel (i know, how dare i say that XD). yeah, im basically making a powerpoint going over the basics. so if i can get examples of other people it would be great. dont worry, i'll make sure to say whose armor it is

feel free to go through my threads and use any useful information if there is anything you don't have.

I hope your event goes off without any problems. :)

feel free to go through my threads and use any useful information if there is anything you don't have.

I hope your event goes off without any problems. :)

thanks, im sure it will be okay. plus i can probably drag some of my friends to help if no one from here can come:D

should i possibly post this in another form or something?

This is the right area, but, your event is about 3 months away and many members do hesitate to sign up for an event that far ahead of time. I mean, the Dragon Con parade is one of the largest gatherings of 405th members, and an event we have been doing for around 5 years or so, and despite opening up sign ups for it in February, with a limited number of slots, there are still people signing up for it last minute.

You've posted in the right places here, and on Facebook, now we just have to try and hope that members in the Chicago area will check in and be able to help.

This is the right area, but, your event is about 3 months away and many members do hesitate to sign up for an event that far ahead of time. I mean, the Dragon Con parade is one of the largest gatherings of 405th members, and an event we have been doing for around 5 years or so, and despite opening up sign ups for it in February, with a limited number of slots, there are still people signing up for it last minute.

You've posted in the right places here, and on Facebook, now we just have to try and hope that members in the Chicago area will check in and be able to help.

thanks, i just wanted to make sure

Also, FYI, this is the same weekend as the Youmacon Anime convention in Detroit. only way I could possibly help is by sending footage of the con. I mean, just an idea, but the best way to introduce people to cons is to kinda see what one is like right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back