Foam or Fiberglass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermithy

I'm making an Emile Suit and this is my first costume I've made. I can't decide whether to make it out of foam or fiberglass? Any other advice would be appreciated.

Foam is cheaper to purchase, and its far lighter. In addition fibreglassing requires more work to create smooth curves. Once applied you need to add bondo or any other body filler to smooth out the surface. Foam just requires a small amount of heat and it flexes into shape. Also when it comes to adding raise details all you need is craft foam.

Either process, you will need Pepakura's files to form the templates.
The Visor is a different problem, I guarantee theres a few members who can tell you how to achieve that.

I think you should read a little (or a lot) about both foam and fiberglass ways here on the forums, on the internet and look on YouTube.

Foam is cheaper to buy and faster to work with from start to finish. Some people say it's easier, but it really isn't, you'll have to get the shapes, the curves, gluing the EDGES right, so the costume will look nice.
Foam is lighter, but it foam, so it will make you to very fast, so there is a bigger chance of overheating and dehydration, if you're building a MJOLNIR armor costume.

Fiberglassing is a longer way. I don't call it harder, just a little bit longer process. You have to glue the paper pieces together, then resin and then fiberglass. This doesn't take that long. What really takes the time is bondo'ing and sanding - it depends how much time you're willing to spend. Some people leave it out, and just paint it - then the costume didn't take as long, you could compare it to how long the foam did take.
If you're willing to go into details - it can take a lot more time. But, it's understandable - working with foam and adding more details would take more time too.
Also, fiberglass is hard material, not flexible like foam, and it's heavier.

You can screw up at foam and fiberglass. I've seen foam costumes fall apart after 15 minutes in the convention, because someone did something wrong. But, it was just the fault in the construction, the costume looked nice.

But, you can win at foam and fiberglass as well! Both have pros and cons. That's why I advised to read forums, internet and look on YT by yourself, because I was under impression you did no research foam or resin way of making a costume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back