Halo Reach CQB

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanW

Sup Nerds :p,

So, I wasn't originally going to post anything about my project, but now that I've started.. I figured, what the heck. :D

Ever since the CQB was introduced in Halo 3, I've been crazy about it, and used it well into Reach. Although, I have to admit I did start to drift towards the JFO variant in Reach, but the CQB has always remained my first love. I've even started designing a new CQB variant... but that's a story for another time...

After some advice from Chernobyl, and some snooping around in the 3D thread, I decided to try my hand at cleaning up a model, and unfolding.

This is what I am hoping to accomplish:
CamoCQB.jpg
(Ignore the Visor colour.. that's not happening :p)

- I would like to use a fan to blow air out of the vent above the visor, and use the top 'nuts' and the equipment mounts, as vents.
- For the inside, I'm going to use the lining and cheek pads from my old bike helmet since both lids are close in size.
- The visor will be removable, by a few mounting screws.
... and who knows what other knick knacks, and paddy whacks I can think of... but for now, that's mainly it.

Here's where I am currently at (Not sure why the first two rotated..) :
IMG_0711.JPGIMG_0712.JPGIMG_0713.JPGIMG_0715.JPG

More to come!

Daaaaaang:eek That is some clean pepping. I like the ideas for vents and stuff, i will have to remeber them. Good luck on the rest! And for the sideways pics crop them to make them landscape photos. The wide side is horizontal.

Damn thats some amazing work ! Would love to use your file to build a CQB helmet if you are willing to share :) if not its okay

MrHolmes, Totally! I'm not sure how to share these things.. lol

CMR Palmer, haha when I saw that movie and that Sam had the CQB I was like, "BOO FRIGGIN YEAH!".. but then he died..

[EDIT]
MrHolmes, I just uploaded the Pep file into the File Archive :) Just an FYI, the front support didn't join when I transferred the file over to Pep Designer, so I've put a note saying to cut your own tab to connect the two faces.
Enjoy!

[UPDATE}

So, I've started glassing the inside of the lid. Got halfway through and I'm not sure if the resin went through the gloves, or some other reason, but my hands were on fire... also I was having trouble with getting the impregnated glass to stick for me, so I had to stop. Hoping I didn't screw myself over, and planning to do some roughing up, and scoring to help the second portion of glassing to stick to the first. What I learned? Glass matting is incredibly strong and sturdy, but also heavy and a massive pain to lay where you want it unless it is cut properly. If i were to do this again, I would get fiberglass weave...

IMG_0764.JPGIMG_0766.JPG

Anyways, I have a question for the glassing pros out there who have done this before (hopefully they are looking at this thread), how did you deal with the resin smell on the inside of the helmet? Mines pretty rank, and I don;t really feel like sniffing fumes while I'm wearing this thing. Gelcoat? Paint? Do I just hang a 'Little Tree' in it? :p

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

[UPDATE}

Anyways, I have a question for the glassing pros out there who have done this before (hopefully they are looking at this thread), how did you deal with the resin smell on the inside of the helmet? Mines pretty rank, and I don;t really feel like sniffing fumes while I'm wearing this thing. Gelcoat? Paint? Do I just hang a 'Little Tree' in it? :p

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have as much experience with fiberglassing as the rest of the guys on here, but I have found that after maybe a week or so the smell does go away completely :)

(I do like the idea of a little tree though ;) )

how did you deal with the resin smell on the inside of the helmet? Mines pretty rank, and I don;t really feel like sniffing fumes while I'm wearing this thing.

If you're desperate to clear the smell out quickly, talc will absorb some of the smell and fumes. Otherwise - leave it in the shed or something for a week.

It's been almost a week since I've glassed it, but I'll let it sit a bit longer. It still is pretty strong. Maybe I mixed it wrong somehow, but I followed the instructions. It's weird... anyways thanks again, I'll see what it's like in a few days.

Great job so far......As for the fiber-glass mat or weave...you could try using some spray stick first.....either spray the helmet in the area your working on or the fiber-glass piece itself first then put it in the helmet....wait a bit for the adhesive to take hold and then apply the resin. The stick spray will keep the piece in place while you paint on the resin w/o moving the piece.

The smell does go away eventually but if you're desperate....try a little Neutra-Air or Frabreeze to get rid of the smell. Only use it after your last layer of fiber-glassing has cured/dried......not sure what chemical reaction would happen if used while still "wet".

Thanks! yeah, a friend of mine is doing the commando lid from Reach and that's what he did. I may end up doing that for the last bit of this helmet.

As for the unknown chemical reaction... experiment time? :p

FullSizeRender.jpg

Finished glassing last Friday, and today the supports are out! Still have some cleaning up to do yet...

After a bit of cleaning up, it looks pretty good, test fit the visor buck and looks like i have some gappage issues I need to deal with...

IMG_0852.JPG IMG_0853.JPG

Keep in mind that the fiber-glass visor portion isn't going to be your actual visor, which might have some flex to it. you may have to use a filler to close up those gaps. You can either build up a portion of fiberglass at those spots, use a self hardening (air dry) clay and then just file it down a bit. Or if you are making your own visor w/ either worbla or some other similar martial, while its till malleable, just bend to compensate for the gaps.

Keep in mind that the fiber-glass visor portion isn't going to be your actual visor, which might have some flex to it. you may have to use a filler to close up those gaps. You can either build up a portion of fiberglass at those spots, use a self hardening (air dry) clay and then just file it down a bit. Or if you are making your own visor w/ either worbla or some other similar martial, while its till malleable, just bend to compensate for the gaps.

Yeah, I won't be adding much to the visor buck as it is pretty close to where I want it, but I think I will have to dial back my perfectionism lol. I just have troubles with things looking 'uneven', and the cheek portions that meet the visor look like it will be like that. But maybe I can do what you suggested once I have the visor vacuum formed, and mold it to the helmet. Hopefully it won't look too goofy.

I also wonder if I can heat up the glass and mold that upper visor support out a bit to lessen that gap...?

Well if you have been following PerniciousDuke and his reach suit build w/ Brute Shot, he can attest to the fact that resin and bondo are still pliable when heat is applied........Sorry about the BShot Duke.....you'll fix it. Any way, RomanW you can definitely heat up the visor after vacuum forming it......as a matter of fact, just after you form it, that would be the best time to tweek it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I think I have success. It is much better than it was.

After some research on some body work forums and some people I know who have worked with glass before, in complete rebellion to what they advised me, I broke out my heat gun and threw all caution to the wind. I had to form it twice in cycles, and I didn't have any cracks or disform happen while fixing this. Heated it up, used gloves and pushed the two corners in, and stood in front of a freezer to cool it down quicker. Now to just fix the mouth area.... I'll probably build up the mask buck with bondo to fit the mouth contours at the front. Thanks Dirtdives for the help!

Further up, and further in!

IMG_0913.JPG

I'm very surprised that you're not simply assembling the project with the visor attached, as opposed to doing the two parts separately and then trying to join them up later. It'd make a lot more sense to assemble the project with the visor and then cut it out later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back