Star Wars Stormtrooper- TFA Armor Build (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulbxsaur

Well Guys I have always wanted a set of Stormtrooper armor, but don't really want to buy the kit so i'm deciding to make a full Set of Star Wars The Force Awakens StormTrooper Armor!
I had started a build a couple years ago on halo 4 armor but due too school was never able to finish it. One of my problems i think was doing the resin and bondo too the pieces as i went, So learning from my mistakes i'm first committing to doing all of the Paper Pepakura armor pieces First. Once im on the last stages of the armor i plan on carving in Ephesians 6:10-18 -( Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked: And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.) Not sure where im going to carve it in but in a small place somewhere :)
So Far I have started The helmet and completed It Here are some pictures of the Process
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3607.JPG IMG_3608.JPG
And now here is the Finished Pep Of the Helmet!
IMG_3609.JPG IMG_3610.JPG IMG_3611.JPG IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG
And this is how it fits on my Head
IMG_3619.JPG IMG_3621.JPG Hope you all like my progress so far and join me on this adventure! :)

IMG_3603.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

IMG_3606.JPG

IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3611.JPG

IMG_3612.JPG

IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Really looking forward to seeing one done. daviduffy had to stop building his, but you might find some helpful stuff in his build thread if you haven't seen it already. Goodluck! Helmet looks great btw.

Got Some progress Done on the chest and back pieces the pep work came out good for the most part. Hope ya'll like it!
Here Is the pepakura file I built off of.
IMG_3627.JPG
The Chest and back are both 2 separate pieces but they fit well so far Once i have the ab plate, lower back, shoulders, biceps ill post a picture of Me in the armor to test fit it for scale and what not.
Forgive me for the dark picture i finished these pieces at night
IMG_3629.JPG IMG_3628.JPG
And Here is the finished pep.
IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3639.JPG
Right here where i'm holding the two pieces in place, I plan on adding support braces for the resin stage due too warping the paper and so they both can line up and fit perfectly.
IMG_3640.JPG IMG_3641.JPG
Hope you guys Like it! Please leave some feedback for encouragement and tips and tricks for better pep work or anything really. Hope to have another update to show y'all SOON! :)
(And if anyone can tell me why my pics are coming out small that would be nice too unless its normal lol)

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3628.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3640.JPG

IMG_3641.JPG

Well Just completed the shoulder and biceps. They fit good cant wait to post update wearing the whole armor (so Far) Next Piece to get done will be the back and abs along with the thermal detonator.
IMG_3644.JPG IMG_3645.JPG
Now here are the shoulders not much but everything is coming along very nicely
IMG_3646.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3648.JPG
And while looking at the thermal detonator it seemed to com out of the holder so that might pose a little problem and i would have to spend a little more time on the resin bondo stage but until then! Hope y'all like it

IMG_3644.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3646.JPG

IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3648.JPG

I went ahead and Finished all of the paper pieces so that is why i have not posted lately, instead of Posting them all 1 by 1. Ill be Posting a Big Update tomorrow Evening to show all of the pieces and all of them with a resin coat as well! It came along really nice ill be posting likewise a upper body pic of the armor to show some of the scaling. It looks like my foot wont fit to squeeze it in the shin pieces so ill be having to cut them apart im not sure what ill be doing but if anyone knows a good way to assemble a shin that's in 2 pieces let me know i was thinking some Velcro but well see. Remember Jesus is Mighty and have a good night!

Well i Just finished putting a resin coat on each piece of the armor. I bought some Styrofoam board that i used to create the inside support beams, this helped ALOT in warping. Virtually i have no significant warping whatsoever!
First Though here is a upper body picture of the armor so you can have a idea about the size and fit. Forgive me the right bicep slipped down a little and i didn't notice :p (Sorry there sideways Picture ill make sure next time they wont be.)
IMG_3632.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3642.JPG IMG_3650.JPG
IMG_3663 (26).JPG
Now Here is where i went ahead and worked on putting the resin with the limited space i have in my apartment haha
I went ahead and used some cheap brushes i could pick up at Home Depot, gloves, Respirator to avoid the smell, and i just cut out the bottom of some water bottles and used them to hold the resin
i added about 8-10 drops of hardener for the batches (Some are sideways it was just the way the picture took them sorry!)
IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3720.JPG
IMG_3721.JPG IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3723.JPG
Here are some up close images of each of the pieces before resin.
Back piece IMG_3724.JPG
Shoulders and bicep IMG_3725.JPG
Forarm, Cod, and Butt IMG_3727.JPG
Thighs IMG_3728.JPG
Shins IMG_3729.JPG
Lower Back, Hand, and thermal detonator IMG_3731.JPG
Abs, Knees, Ankles IMG_3732.JPG
Chest IMG_3739.JPG
Helmet IMG_3733.JPG
Now after all of the resin here is all of the armor up against the wall drying
IMG_3734.JPG IMG_3737.JPG IMG_3738.JPG
And last but not least here is a picture of the Helmet drying, i'm happy of how it all turned out!
IMG_3736.JPG
So i Ordered some Smoot-Cast 300 and it should be in, in about a week or so. Until then i hope y'all like how this all turned out. i'm confident The finished armor will look nice! I plan on adding some detail like lines in the bondo phase with a Dremal.
I leave you all with this until next time John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. :)

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3737.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3663 (26).JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

I know its been a while but been busy with Life, but The smoothcast arrived in about a week and i went ahead and Hardened all of the armor
IMG_3741.JPG
I started with the Helmet and made my way through all the armor and here is after the First Coat on the inside.
IMG_3743.JPG And Second coat IMG_3744.JPG
If anyone is going to be working with smoothcast it does get a bit messy so i recommend using gloves After her is a Pic of the Chest Piece before The Cast
IMG_3745.JPG IMG_3747.JPG
For the Thermal Detonator it being a solid Piece i went ahead and made a small hole on the top and poured The mixture inside and then quickly glues a flat piece of paper to cover the hole. Then sanded down the paper leaving the surface flat once more IMG_3749.JPG Here is All the armor Excluding small pieces like ankles, hands, and knees. I Also went ahead and put the first coat of Bondo and each of the pieces. After lots of sanding and applying to each armor piece This is how the armor looks so Far
IMG_3772.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG
IMG_3777.JPG
Now Last i went ahead and cut out the Area where the visor will be installed And here is the helmet sanded down with a coat of bondo
IMG_3778.JPG IMG_3779.JPG IMG_3780.JPG
Hope you all like it so far. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

IMG_3741.JPG

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

IMG_3745.JPG

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3749.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

Looking amazing. I just finished a kit build of ANH armour this year and after looking at your pics, wow you have some pretty great skills! Keep it up, don't get discouraged. If you are ever down and frustrated with a piece remember the original troopers were not symmetrical so there is a little play. But again just wow, really looking forward to seeing your progress on this build, it is looking fantastic.

Looking amazing. I just finished a kit build of ANH armour this year and after looking at your pics, wow you have some pretty great skills! Keep it up, don't get discouraged. If you are ever down and frustrated with a piece remember the original troopers were not symmetrical so there is a little play. But again just wow, really looking forward to seeing your progress on this build, it is looking fantastic.

Thank you It means a lot, I was thinking about buying a kit but i'm too poor xD I should be posting another update very soon!

Bulbxsaur, outstanding! I am really liking your bondo skills on that helmet. So little is needed, yet so hard to control. You nailed it though. Are you using Bondo brand body filler and applying it by hand or with a tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back