3D printed sniper rifle (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRobotGuy

I've been wanting a Halo sniper rifle for a while now, so a while back I decided to 3d print one.

The concept was to build a rifle around a couple of pieces of PVC pipe using 3d printed parts (with a few screws from the hardware store).
The first attempt, which served as a proof of concept for the sizing of the rifle, looks something like this:

IMG_20160828_135146336 - Copy.jpg

My original thought was that I would print out the rough model (shown above), then replace some of the rougher components (like the blocky handle) with a more refined version once I had the basic structure in place, and some more time to CAD up a better looking part.

Phase 1 was about 6 months ago. Recently, I started from scratch with a phase 2 design, shown below. Like phase 1, the phase 2 concept is built around PVC pipe, giving the gun the necessary rigidity, and keeping me from needing to 3d print the barrel, which would be a little painful. Unlike phase 1, where each component was designed to be the size of the bed of my 3d printer, phase 2 is designed to be a complete model, which will then need to be broken up into subsections before it can be printed.

SniperRender1.png
This is a rendered model of the current state of the phase 2 model. The modeling is being done in OpenSCAD, which is easy to work with, but regrettably doesn't render things very nicely.

SniperPipeColored.png
The same model, with the PVC components shown in orange. The PVC barrel runs the entire length of the gun, which stands a full 5 feet in length.

SniperMag.png
Detail shot of the rear of the gun. The magazine is removable, with the hollow portion of the magazine sized to fit a .50BMG round.
SniperScopeAndBrake.png
Detail shot of the scope / front of the gun. The bipod feet are a departure from the design in the game, so that they can accommodate a couple of large bolts as feet (see first image for example).
Also, I added the RvB project freelancer logo to the round thingy on the side, because Agent North is my favorite.

IMG_20160828_135207830 - Copy.jpg
I printed the current model at about a 1/10 scale so that it would fit on my 3d printer bed. When printed at full size, the magazine will be about the size of the bed. As you can imagine, this will be quite the undertaking. Fortunately, there's still a fair bit of detail work that needs to be done before I have to start worrying about that.

If there's any interest I can distribute the current OpenSCAD file for people to play with.

Cheers,
- RobotGuy

Good work so far! I see you're attempting the Halo 3 Sniper Rifle - in which case, THIS may be of further interest to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back