Help first try of helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SofiJunkhead

Well, I'm trying to build a helmet by myself without help for the first time (the halo one, a friend of mine made it). This is the result :/ I'm a bit ashamed of it but I really want to make it and get better in this. I just don't know what am I doing wrong.
I'm thinking about leave the foam and start over again with resin and fiberglass, building on paper is more easy and faster, at least seemed to me the first time I tried it.
169fb4312684f2e0d0d6356f55b9a5be.jpg
fd3beb31c6b26a52a2e96401e1f4d93f.jpg

The green one is mine, the grey one came in the file I downloaded, but it has some custom fixes by the person who did it.
I should say also, I'm stucked with this helmet, I've been looking for it for years and still I can't find a single file well unfolded. I found this on a blog and the pieces are in jpg, no pdo archives founded. It's the doom marine helmet.
I think some of the pictures were bad folded and the size in some also were a bit wrong, what makes it more impossible to do right.
And on this other pic, I tried the same but with paper, looks ugly as well but better than the foam attempt.
cfb223581d7cb43d771da207623f7289.jpg

I'm frustrated [emoji26]

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Attachments

• 169fb4312684f2e0d0d6356f55b9a5be.jpg
    169fb4312684f2e0d0d6356f55b9a5be.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 217
  • fd3beb31c6b26a52a2e96401e1f4d93f.jpg
    fd3beb31c6b26a52a2e96401e1f4d93f.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 202
  • cfb223581d7cb43d771da207623f7289.jpg
    cfb223581d7cb43d771da207623f7289.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 211
Exactly which helmet are you trying to build? We have plenty of files available in the Archives, if you need help I can have a look for you.

Exactly which helmet are you trying to build? We have plenty of files available in the Archives, if you need help I can have a look for you.

I already asked you some weeks ago [emoji14] it's doomguy but from quake 3 arena. I found the new doom helmet here but it's harder than this one.

Ah, fair enough. Do forgive me, I'm sleep-deprived and I think I'm about to die.

XD it's okay, me too, of depression
I should give up and start doing something easier but I'm infatuated with doom now

Ah, fair enough. Do forgive me, I'm sleep-deprived and I think I'm about to die.

Spartans don't die. They duck for cover and forget to get back up..........and there is no dying w/o filling out the proper forms in triplicate first. Besides, we need you........you're too valuable to the group. :)

It all comes down to practice practice practice! The more you build the better you become and the more techniques you learn. We all start somewhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick question, what kind of paper are you using? From the pic it looks like standard copy paper. Otherwise looks like it will be a good build. Good luck and remember, the forum is always here to help

for test pieces, I like to use 90 lb paper. It hold its shape better than regular copy paper and it cost less than the 110 lb paper which is better for doing the fiberglass route. 90lb paper is also good for the templates for the foam builds as well. copy paper has a tendency of curling when tracing out the shape on to the foam.

What thickness foam are you using? I can't really tell from the picture but if it's below 6 or 5mm in thickness then that might be part of the problem. From my experience, anything below won't hold because it's too thin. You end up with a wobbly mess! D:
Another problem might be that you're not using the proper cutting techniques. Remember to cut beveled l/ l\ edges according to the shape of the model. That's very important.
Finally, remember that this is a learning experience after all. Everyone gets frustrated at times but don't let it stop you. I encourage you to look through the forums as it's filled with a wealth of knowledge and soon enough you'll be having fun building stuff.

What thickness foam are you using? I can't really tell from the picture but if it's below 6 or 5mm in thickness then that might be part of the problem. From my experience, anything below won't hold because it's too thin. You end up with a wobbly mess! D:
Another problem might be that you're not using the proper cutting techniques. Remember to cut beveled l/ l\ edges according to the shape of the model. That's very important.
Finally, remember that this is a learning experience after all. Everyone gets frustrated at times but don't let it stop you. I encourage you to look through the forums as it's filled with a wealth of knowledge and soon enough you'll be having fun building stuff.

It's 5 mm, But for the Halo armor used the same measure of foam :c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back