ODST Foam Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I based mine off of Andrew DFT. I'm probably going to start a Mk II version of the helmet in the next couple of weeks with further modification to the files. If you want I can keep you posted on how it works out.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Looks good! I saw someone post about punish props, I would also recommend looking at Evil Ted Smith. I pretty much lived on youtube for a couple of weeks before I got into my foam armor. Youre going great though, keep it up!

I think I am repeating myself today. First welcome to the ODST Ranks. Second looks really good for a first build.. Third Keep it up keep trying dont be afraid to rebuild pieces.

It has already been said but I will say it again. Sharpen/change your knife blade much much more frequently. You are going to use a ton of blades but clean cuts will make or break you. If you have the resources I would suggest a hot knife. You still have to clean sharpen the blade regularly but It generates a much nicer edge.

And this one has been a pet hatred of mine since I learned what a difference it makes. Loose the hot glue gun. Super glue will work . But personally I am a true fan of contact cement or Barge cement. It yields a much cleaner joint that you can sand down. Also you do not have to worry about your own body heat softening your joints and or OOpps I left my armor in the car and the joints seperated. If you stick with the Hot glue gun Absolutely make sure you are only using high temp glue in it. Multi temp glue or Low temp will soften from body heat from you wearing it on a sunny day. And or just leaving it in the car. I learned this the hard way. My wife left her chest piece in her car on a fall day. as in 52F or so and the heat generated by the sun shining through her car windows was enough to cause several joints to separate.

The next bit tip. Finish it out and then when you are done wear it to event see what you like about it see where you want to improve on it. And then come home and dont be afraid to start replacing pieces and trying new techniques

Sorry for the no progress lately, work and school have been kicking my but :'c

but on the brightside, I now have permission to work on my costume at my Studio room at college! so hopefully I can have a much more spacious area to work with!

I think I am repeating myself today. First welcome to the ODST Ranks. Second looks really good for a first build.. Third Keep it up keep trying dont be afraid to rebuild pieces.

And this one has been a pet hatred of mine since I learned what a difference it makes. Loose the hot glue gun. Super glue will work . But personally I am a true fan of contact cement or Barge cement. It yields a much cleaner joint that you can sand down. Also you do not have to worry about your own body heat softening your joints and or OOpps I left my armor in the car and the joints seperated. If you stick with the Hot glue gun Absolutely make sure you are only using high temp glue in it. Multi temp glue or Low temp will soften from body heat from you wearing it on a sunny day. And or just leaving it in the car. I learned this the hard way. My wife left her chest piece in her car on a fall day. as in 52F or so and the heat generated by the sun shining through her car windows was enough to cause several joints to separate.

Oh! Thank you for the tip on glue! I didn't even think about that. I live in the Midwest so hot and cool day seem to be unpredictable. As for the Armor its self I do plan on rebuilding once I get the chance to show it off! I want to make it the best looking I can on my first try though c:

Oh! Thank you for the tip on glue! I didn't even think about that. I live in the Midwest so hot and cool day seem to be unpredictable. As for the Armor its self I do plan on rebuilding once I get the chance to show it off! I want to make it the best looking I can on my first try though c:

believe me I understand the first run thing. Mine has been an up and down story. I build my first suit based on DFT work. I wore it to a january event. It was good but I wanted better. So from January to June I totally rebuilt the entire suit based on my accurate info and files done buy others that I converted to foam. I have images of the evolution in my build thread which is linked below. But I built version 2 from january to june. Version 3 which is just an upgrade on some part came this last year. Version 4 has been in the slow works again since the show in june. Will really get serious once I get past Halloween and into winter. Again that will mostly be upgrades and replacements of worn parts with me starting to harden my pieces instead of them just being soft foam. And hopefully by next year I will have a game accurate under suite done.

Might get one of Sean's helmets now, they look really good. Great work on the build so far, I like how the shoulders came out.

UPDATE TIME!

Well I got in the art studio and started work on the smg
1003161413.jpg

A wip shot from the beginning of class

1003161614.jpg
And the close to finished product!

Just need to mock up the silencer, sand and paint!

1003161615.jpg
And just a fun shot :)

More to come soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back