ODST Pep Build-Advice and Constructive Criticism Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks fantastic! I would second the idea of using velcro to secure your suit to the undersuit :) Amazing work :)

Looks fantastic! I would second the idea of using velcro to secure your suit to the undersuit :) Amazing work :)

I actually use Elmers glue sticks for my pep. It applies easy and drys quickly. You might want to consider using velcro to attach your pieces to the under suit. The pieces may seem to stay in place now but when you start sweating they may slide.
After doing a little research, I found that Elmers glue is essentially PVA glue. There are many different forms of it, including carpenters glue and wood glue. It's ideal for paper projects because it's non-toxic (unless ingested), doesn't produce fumes, and dries quickly with a clear, strong bond. Basically, it's the most ideal thing for paper.

As for velcro, I was most definitely thinking of that for the pieces that attach. The shoulders I think would be best if I had a strap from the top of the shoulder base to the inside of the chest core. This is to make sure that the piece doesn't slide too far down. Other pieces would have velcro to attach. I'm thinking of using black straps for the "belt" on the belt base, with the other pieces hanging from the belt at their appropriate places.

Hey all!

Here is a quick update on the project. I've finished the critical components (sans boot covers and backpack). I'm planning on reinforcing the pieces to prevent any wobbliness that may occur. The color I think I'm going with is a blueish gray. I have a silver one way film that I will use for the visor. My girlfriend (who also cosplays) did confirm that the visor doesn't let anyone see me, while I can still see them. Here are the pieces
image.jpeg

wow! looks great, I'm jealous I work very slow getting pep work done got any tips for us

Looks very nice! You're fast.

wow! looks great, I'm jealous I work very slow getting pep work done got any tips for us
I use Elmers Glue All for glue. I use basic 110# card stock. I use a large pair of scissors for most of my cutting, and I use an x-axacto knife to cut out details and score my pieces.

My process: I first print and then organize the paper sheets by components e.g. the knee component of the "shin" design is separated from the actual shin, and the shin itself is separated by the front and back half sheets. Then I cut out the pieces for each component. After, I cut out details and score each piece. Then I fold the scores pieces. After that, I lay out how they connect and start gluing. I make sure I'm following along with the 3-D image. After I make the parts up, I then work to glue them all together. I will say the hardest pieces to glue together were the front and back halves of the shin piece.

My number one tip for working on this (and for when you work on anything) is to work in sections. This way, you see the progress you make while also moving along efficiently. You keep moral high and keep your desire to work on it as high as possible.

Looks great! just kinda strange seeing the shoulder move with the bicep and not resting on the arm

I attached the shoulder and bicep to the shoulder base with elastic (which has prevented damage from passing patrons of cosplay) and used two Velcro pieces to attach to the other half sewn into the shirt. It works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back