Permission To Come Aboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so dial pinned it then eh? nice! think i may try to go with tongue and groove on my build but still rolling the idea around

One of the ideas I had tooled around with was height increase today as well. Now granted I'm already 6'2'' (little over 187cm) in height. From what listings I've seen most of the Spartans post augmentation were in the 6'3'' to 6'7'' range with a few above and below that average. Master chief in particular coming in at 6'7'' and with Mjolnir armor on standing at an even 7'0''. I've a feeling that MC is going to be my first attempted 3d print starting next spring. Now I cant very well do an 8 inch boost with anything but stilts or by modifying a pair of boots to have an 8 inch platform which doesnt seem to be a difficult thing to do but teaching myself to be able to move in a tactical fashion with that much of a platform under me as well as the modification needed on the Mjolnir boot section needing to be stretched downward an additional 8 inches seems like it would displace it a bit more than Im willing to work with. I do however have a pair of black leather military style boots that have about a 3.5 inch platform that would put me nearer to 6'6'' and in those I loose none of my mobility and a 3.5" armor extension I doubt is going to displace the design very much but Ill have to see what happens once I get everything together

One of the ideas I had tooled around with was height increase today as well. Now granted I'm already 6'2'' (little over 187cm) in height. From what listings I've seen most of the Spartans post augmentation were in the 6'3'' to 6'7'' range with a few above and below that average. Master chief in particular coming in at 6'7'' and with Mjolnir armor on standing at an even 7'0''. I've a feeling that MC is going to be my first attempted 3d print starting next spring. Now I cant very well do an 8 inch boost with anything but stilts or by modifying a pair of boots to have an 8 inch platform which doesnt seem to be a difficult thing to do but teaching myself to be able to move in a tactical fashion with that much of a platform under me as well as the modification needed on the Mjolnir boot section needing to be stretched downward an additional 8 inches seems like it would displace it a bit more than Im willing to work with. I do however have a pair of black leather military style boots that have about a 3.5 inch platform that would put me nearer to 6'6'' and in those I loose none of my mobility and a 3.5" armor extension I doubt is going to displace the design very much but Ill have to see what happens once I get everything together

Invictuss, in solid works you can add a feature, at least you should be able to... and then save as an STL file. you can add those holes and then tap them if you want, i did that with some armor, i added 1/16" dia. holes and then used toothpicks as the connection with epoxy to bond them. it worked great. it wasnt armor so to speak but the concept should still work for pieces larger than what youre printer can make!

we should chat, whats your email address?

Invictuss, in solid works you can add a feature, at least you should be able to... and then save as an STL file. you can add those holes and then tap them if you want, i did that with some armor, i added 1/16" dia. holes and then used toothpicks as the connection with epoxy to bond them. it worked great. it wasnt armor so to speak but the concept should still work for pieces larger than what youre printer can make!

we should chat, whats your email address?

Correct and Ive done it several times in Solidworks but I dont hold a personal copy of the software myself and work is pretty stingy about doing work that doesnt involve the company or i would just load up and go. I may just have to take a look into getting the plastics edition of the software I mean that would be an across the board thing for this medium anyhow so its probably worth it in the long run

Correct and Ive done it several times in Solidworks but I dont hold a personal copy of the software myself and work is pretty stingy about doing work that doesn't involve the company or i would just load up and go. I may just have to take a look into getting the plastics edition of the software I mean that would be an across the board thing for this medium anyhow so its probably worth it in the long run

there should be a way to get a hold of a "student version"... I used to have free student discs from school laying around my basement... all 2008 versions but still good enough to do what we need... i have since given them all to friends... :)

If you have files, I may be able to modify them for you... I'm not the greatest at Solidworks anymore since I got moved to engineering manager, and i haven't used SW consistently in over 5 years. but id give anything a try.

I sent you a PM with my email address...

Correct and Ive done it several times in Solidworks but I dont hold a personal copy of the software myself and work is pretty stingy about doing work that doesnt involve the company or i would just load up and go. I may just have to take a look into getting the plastics edition of the software I mean that would be an across the board thing for this medium anyhow so its probably worth it in the long run

also Dassault offers student versions for like $150, its expensive. You cant print drawings, but you can save to stl files, and really that's all you need, unless you're importing into cadcam?
http://www.evanyares.com/cad-for-the-unemployed/

there should be a way to get a hold of a "student version"... I used to have free student discs from school laying around my basement... all 2008 versions but still good enough to do what we need... i have since given them all to friends... :)

If you have files, I may be able to modify them for you... I'm not the greatest at Solidworks anymore since I got moved to engineering manager, and i haven't used SW consistently in over 5 years. but id give anything a try.

I sent you a PM with my email address...

amazing how quick that happens isnt it? I will have a look at the student copy or may possibly check with a bud of mine at work who just graduated he may even have it still, ty for the intel its most appreciated

So its finally the weekend for the graveyard shift people out there. Ive had myself a bit of a laugh using Makehuman this morning attempting to input my measurement data. Now I know Im oddly shaped as I have a shorter upper body and some places thick while others are right in the middle of the bar so basically it comes down to having to make a giant just to be able to scale parts individually lol..... Even the system cant compute me sorry but that I found truly amusing and had to share

Im tooling around with scaling pieces today working on getting used to the programs. I was flipping through some concept art last night and I came across this beauty
ZptyGC0.jpg

Now I know this setup is a bit over the top but I am truly in love with this concept. Once I get a bit more involved with designing I think I may take a stab at this one. The cryo suit that I typically see beneath armor in this appears to be almost like a secondary layer of armor built beneath the Mjolnir I can only imagine printing and piecing something together like this is going to take some time. Yes I know its technically not a game shot from what Ive been reading but this is a thing of beauty

As much as I enjoy the game I think Im going to have to accept the fact that its going to be awhile till I can get myself in shape enough to not only fit into a good suit of spartan armor but to at least semi look the part. Lets face facts here, its going to be difficult for me to look right wearing military robotic style armor when Im big enough to be baymax from big hero 6 LOL. Its all good though it gives me something to shoot for eventually. Just means Ill have plenty of time to practice printing while I wait

Actually.....that big hero six crack kinda just gave me an idea......Im getting into this so I can share something with my kids, why not do it after one of their favorite movies. I mean the armor on baymax is relatively low definition for the most part as compared to most of the Halo Mjolnir and ODST armors. That and its perfectly fluffy dad friendly......Im really contemplating this

Currently Im living in central Pennsylvania out in the mountains, just south of Penn State main campus. Your more than welcome to bend my ear anytime you like where CNC and machining are involved I worked on everything from Bullard Vertical Turret lathes from around 1915-1920s era, all the way up to 5 axis dual head cnc cells with live tooling functionality. Honestly if your looking into it for something of this nature you may be able to get away with using a build it yourself setup designed more toward wood work as it would save you a ton of money and still get you nearly the exact same functionality as a bridgeport. I am in no way saying dont get a bridgeport as I really want one for myself as well. if you ever find yourself sitting on a nice size chunk of a change you could also take a look into Haas mini mill (by nice chunk of change im talking about $30k for a good used one lol)

You good sir are near our neck of the woods. My husband and I are just north of Altoona. We have about 4 to 6 of us that live in and near the Altoona, Ebensburg, Johnstown area.

You good sir are near our neck of the woods. My husband and I are just north of Altoona. We have about 4 to 6 of us that live in and near the Altoona, Ebensburg, Johnstown area.

Excellent I know the area I spent a year running fiber optic cable through Patton. I'm right at the bottom of 7 mountains in Amish country, literally their my neighbor's. Ebensburg I'm also familiar with Johnstown. It's been a minute but that's awesome to know some of the 405 are close by I usually gotta lone wolf it

There is also a BIG convention each year in Altoona that we all have a table or two at and have multiple others from outta town come down for. It is SciFi Valley Con. It will be June 9-11th next year.

There is also a BIG convention each year in Altoona that we all have a table or two at and have multiple others from outta town come down for. It is SciFi Valley Con. It will be June 9-11th next year.

Sounds like good times, I heard state college just had one as well. I didn't find out till after overtime came out and by then was locked in

Penn state will have another in January ish time frame. Then there is Katsucon as well in the winter.

Penn state will have another in January ish time frame. Then there is Katsucon as well in the winter.
I'll have to check it out if possible. I know by then I'll more than likely still be working on this design. I'm a bit over meticulous when it comes to details so when I go to print its gotta be spot on. Paint and body fill I'm not to worry about. From what I can tell it's almost identical to automotive work I've done. I've also got some carpentry fabrication work under my belt so most likely I'll be building a vacuform table. Had an idea I wanted to test on the visor that I seen a friend of mine use on RC cars once
I've got a lot of prebuild stuff to accomplish before spring but nothing I can't handle. Figure if I get most of the prep work and. Layout done while I'm Waiting to pick up my printer it should help for time on assembly later

I definitely understand. I know that we are going to be making a Vacuform table eventually. I know the guys in South Fork are going to have a build day on the last Satureday of Oct before the HALOween party. We also host prop building parties at our house from time to time as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back