First Foam Build, Halo 3 Mk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathlydanny

Greeting to everyone that's part of the 405.

This would be my first ever build of which im planning to build the Mk VI halo 3 chest armour yet all i can seem to find is templates for the paper version and pictures of pre-cut and built/finished foam armour.
Could i ask if anyone has or know of any templates of the chest and back that would work with foam with no work needed other then maybe resizing and printing it.
I've never used Pepakura before so i have no real idea of what i would or wouldnt need, or for the matter how to edit any existing template to make them work with foam

Many thanks Dan

With a bit of searching around I came up with these on the RPF.

It's a pep file but made ready for foam so it should be just a matter of resizing for your needs.

Those were the files I used (except a different forearm) and I added in my own details.

Take note though you will want to attach the circled part of the upper chest together in pepakura. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to make the two sides symmetrical.
c3a76e907fc5c2fefe7960b66e93c435.jpg

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Attachments

• c3a76e907fc5c2fefe7960b66e93c435.jpg
    c3a76e907fc5c2fefe7960b66e93c435.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 192
I did this earlier this year. Your not the only one who was confused by the lack of foam templates and by pepakura.

I spent most of last year once I became a member just learning pepakura. I'd find a model of the suit (I built the same one) and tried to build it. I never failed, its very easy to build with pep, its just time consuming. I'd spent about 2 weeks building one version of the torso I had found in the Archive, but I learnt. I never wished to make my armour in paper, I was always aiming for a foam suit, i just needed to test the measurements I had made until my suit fit snuggly (trust me, you want it to be snug, I can't move in my armour at all).

You can create your own foam templates. All you need is a Pep model and a bit of observation. I found in other foam templates that details were removed and other areas were removed so the foam could be shaped. If you see other templates, elevations that are usually in the full model are not on the 2D window. That is intentional and its because the foam is being accounted for. Its thickness is replacing that elevation. What is also not made clear is that many pieces are joined. In the model that appear to be seperate pieces but in fact they are the meant to be one. If you look at what Jme has circled, those smaller pieces are one with the larger section above them.

It is not hard to make a foam suit from the pepakura files, you just need to look at it logically and carefully, any model can be used for foam. All it takes is your dedication to the build.

Reactions: Jme
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back