help with armor making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaredes291

hi i am new to making armor
so i need to know if i use foam or fiberglass is one cheper?

what files do i need to download?
halo 2 style
and is there a TUT i can use?
thanks

Everything you need to get started is in the stuck threads, best to check the top most one in this area if the forum as itll lead you to all the useful threads you need to answer these questions!

As for the Files, you find what your looking for in the file archive, price difference I can't help with, I'm planning a pep build atm and haven't looked into foam as I don't trust myself with it!

i wouldnt decide what to use on price but on what you prefer take your time with builds so even more xpensive ones can be done over time. i would recommend watching a lot of foam and pepekura tuts on youtube and this site to see what seems to fit you more. and maybe you count do some small test projects first to see what you like more.

price wise both aren't exactly cheap and depend on what brands and materials you buy.

Hi, welcome!

For foam, not sure if you live in the US, but this stuff is extremely cheap: http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-4-pc-61607.html.
If you have a Harbor Freight near you can you pick up a few packs. I believe other places like Home Depot, Ikea, Lowes may sell it also. Sometimes they're on sale. I bought some last weekend and single pack is 4 25"x25" mats. This should be enough to do most of a suit (depending on your size), so for roughly $20-$25 you can have most of what you need as far as building material, not including glue gun, glue, hot knife and/or exacto knife, etc.

Check the file database for Halo 2 files you can download, you'll probably need Pepkura Designer, or Pepkura Viewer to look at them/print them out.
As mentioned, for tutorials there's plenty of sticky threads on this site you can look through, as well as Youtube.

Hi man! I am currently also making my first build, and I find that EVA garage padding foam is really cheap, and is strong and flexible! if you go to Costco(At least in my area) they have 8 2x2 feet pads for 8 bucks! So i would suggest that foam, and as for the templates, you will need to reply to me and tell me what type of armor you are looking for cause Impact Props actually has a lot of EVA armor templates, but they don't have the helmet or the chest-plate, which the 405th does have. If you look up "Halo foam templates", you should find something. Also. keep in mind that the EVA foam is about a centimeter in thickness, so you will have to cut edges to glue the pieces together. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!!!

i viewed the files but i still dont know what to download and i do need a Pepkura Viewer what do you recommend?

- - - Updated - - -

just a standard master chief armor thanks

You want to get Pepakura Designer so that you can re-size and manipulate the files if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are thinking Halo 2, I believe that it is Mark VI armour and the only real difference between Halo 2 and Halo 3 armour are the hand plates (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

You may want to take a look at Deathlydanny's thread where we're were just discussing the foam files.

Here is the link

First Foam Build, Halo 3 Mk VI

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...3&share_tid=48123&share_fid=6554&share_type=t

Also, Do a search for Halo 3 Mark VI armour to look at some other peoples builds (I have one in the go right now) as they can be very helpful in discussing problems and solutions to the builds.

Just get the most recent version of Papakura Designer (it looks like 4.0.2 right now). As for downloading files, when you view the file you want, you'll see a section with files. Either click on the file name, or on "Download All Files."
download.png

I'm not a foam builder, but I would not really recommend a soldering iron to cut foam. Can't attest to its ability to work, but a soldering iron is NOT a hot knife, and quite frankly, with a good sharp utility knife you don't really need to buy a hot knife either.

and will a soldering iron work to cut the foam?

A soldering iron with a cutting attachment becomes basically a hot knife and it works very well for cutting foam. Make sure to keep your blades sharp though. Clean cuts save a lot of hassle down the road.

I must have been typing as you were replying ZP!

It is a full set but you may need to either add some parts or modify the pepakura based on how detailed you want it to be.

And I would suggest using a different forearm. Most low def files in the archive can easily be used/modified for foam.

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

I used Flyingsquirel's. They should be in the archive.

6224fb248a2c89b2baa67929139488c6.jpg

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Attachments

• 6224fb248a2c89b2baa67929139488c6.jpg
    6224fb248a2c89b2baa67929139488c6.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 157
My pleasure.

Welcome to the 405th.

If you're asking about the price, foam is cheaper way. Resin, fiberglass and bondo are definitely more expensive, but you're not spending 100$ (or more) at once.
Making armor will take you few months, so you may be spending 10-25$ monthy, more or less. With both resin and fiberglass.
While you may need around 10l resin, some body filler, fiberglass and paper. But if you go with foam, you'll need more than few big foam sheets, glue and more.

I don't think you should decide on what's cheaper. More like - what do you prefer. What do you think would suit you to work with.
You can try both on small pieces to see what you prefer.
I myself, I thought first I'd craft with foam, when I was testing it, I didn't enjoy it. Then I tried pepakura and I loved it, so I chose this way.

If you want Halo 2, so basically you want Mark VI as it's the same armor in both games.
Just depends on how detailed you want your armor to be, there are different versions of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back