First Build, GEN-II Recon Pep Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay wow has it really been nearly a week since I last did an update? Didn't realise I'd been that busy but I guess work, doctors appointments and doing that being social thing take up a lot of time!

So I managed to add the other side to the front area and finished off the triangular piece in the middle too.
image.jpeg

And I built these little doodads that attach the rear and front areas together at the shoulder, little concerned about how I'll fibreglass them though as they're now completely enclosed? Any has any thoughts on that I'd appreciate it!!
image.jpeg

And the next area is the back, which I nearly have everything cut out for then it's onto scoring it all then assembly! Probably another day or two before I get this bit done!
image.jpegimage.jpeg

This is also the first post I've done that ISNT at silly o'clock in the morning...

Okay so due to sibling intervention I'm having to start the front of the chest piece again as they crushed it.
Except I've so much work coming up it's going to be a while before I can start a new one

Okay so due to sibling intervention I'm having to start the front of the chest piece again as they crushed it.
Except I've so much work coming up it's going to be a while before I can start a new one

Dang, sorry to hear that! I can imagine the loss of so much time and effort would be a huge disappointment. Glad to know your not giving up though. If there's one thing I've learned since starting all this, it's the value of patience. Also, choosing to see setbacks as learning and progress helps a lot too. Some days I get tired of working on the helmet because I'm making two back-to-back, and I'm really impatient to start the next pieces in the set, but when I consider how much better the second helmet is turning out thanks to the patience and practice that came before, it's worth it. The same applies in your case. This torso will probably turn out even better than the first thanks to your extra experience.

there were a few areas I wasnt happy with on the front area anyway so this will be good and I can use the built portion as a reference.
Just very annoyed as its been brushed off as oh it's only one of Lewis's weird things he does never mind.....

Been concentrating on other costumes this week anyway so taken my mind off it a little.

I can relate, i lost almost an entire set of armor due to unforseen circumstances. Your progress looks amazing keep at. The chest piece looked awesome can't wait to see how the second turns out now that you have had practice.

Finally sitting down and writing down the new scaling, work was crazy last week and finally got today to do some work on the new torso, but revised all the scaling as the helm and torso were ever so slightly too snug.

Excuse the the very bad handwriting
. image.jpeg

It does pay to go a bit bigger on the build, even if you have to put a little padding to make it fit just right, but don't go to much. Then you'll look like a bobble head or like a kid wearing their parent's clothes . Looks good so far and don't worry about re-dos. we've all had those "Technical Issues Beyond Our Control". So that just means you're in good company.

It does pay to go a bit bigger on the build, even if you have to put a little padding to make it fit just right, but don't go to much. Then you'll look like a bobble head or like a kid wearing their parent's clothes . Looks good so far and don't worry about re-dos. we've all had those "Technical Issues Beyond Our Control". So that just means you're in good company.

After building the first helmet I completely agree. It fit but after fibreglassing and all the rest of it it probably would have been marginally too small! Ah well everything is a learning point!

theres a few fiddly areas especially on the Chest that I wanted to redo as I'd mucked them up by not being delicate enough so so a re-do,doesn't bother me at all really, will allow me to improve a few areas

At least now you have exp on this piece and I've found that subsequent rebuilds go much faster the 2nd......3rd........4th(?) time..... ok I'm on #7 w/ my helmet............

theres a few fiddly areas especially on the Chest that I wanted to redo as I'd mucked them up by not being delicate enough so so a re-do,doesn't bother me at all really, will allow me to improve a few areas

That's the nice thing about pep. In the end, despite the time investment, it's just paper, which is cheap. One of several reasons I am wary of trying any foaming is that messing up is way more expensive.

Glad to see you're still persevering. We kind of started around the same time so I definitely want you to succeed.

Yeah, I've had to slow down due to starting work at the start of October and a seemingly high number of friends having birthdays and events this past month and a bit but finally sat down and started with cutting and scoring the new Chest piece tonight and got about 1/3 of it done (Mostly all of the front area)

A proper cutting mat and hobby knife have made things so much easier than the phonebook/box cutter set up I had going before as well!

How do I scale foam counting the thickness?

image.jpeg

Is is looking much cleaner this time round! And I'm progressing pretty quickly too, should finish this part today and move onto the back before the days out!

You're pep work looks really clean so far, keep up the good work!

Cheers!! It's certainly gotten a lot better than it was!

Just needs the "wings" on the back building and attaching and I'm onto Resining this bad boy!
Got some magnets on the way so that I can magnetise the armour so that it's actually useable ( can't get both shoulders through the bottom when stuck together!) just not sure whether I could possibly hinge the top shoulder area or whether it'd be stronger/safer/easier etc to just magnetise both areas??
or if I should do something completely different!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back