First Build 3D Print File Request (Reach Spartan V Male)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFire

I'm planning on 3d printing my build instead of doing pepakura because my inkjet printer is a troll and won't print card stock easily. I was looking around for some 3d printable files on the archive and I can't seem to find really any. What I'm trying to print is a full Reach Spartan Mk V Armor (Male) suit. I just need a reasonable resolution .stl model to print. I'm willing to size the model myself, but it would be greatly appreciated if someone could do it for me (As I have no idea how). Also, if anyone has any advice on how to print, what type of spool to use, or whether I should still bondo the plastic before painting, I would be happy to hear it. Thanks for the help guys! BlueFire

My 3d Printer Specs
6 in x 6 in / 15.24 cm x 15.24 cm

Also, I have some translucent plastic spool. Would it work if I used that as the visor instead of buying one?

the files arent really there because only a few people print their armor due to the fact its expensive and heavy. if you really want the files you could commison someone to make it. for material i would recommend PLA since its easy to print but others might have diffrent opinions but sure as hell dont try try ABS with an open printer. and if you print your armor you just to clean the prints prime and sand it before painting.

You would have to test print anything with that fillament to instantly realise that it won't be seethrough... More like a translucent material that would scater the light because of all the layers instead of letting it pass trough normaly...

Buying one may be the way to go, there are multiple options : motorcycle helmet visor, the ones Kill Kill Kill sells on etsy ( these ones already have the hexagonal pattern on them ) or, if you are doing any helmet resembling the eva or pilot you will need to print and finish the visor part of the helmet and use it as a buck to vacuform yourself a visor of any shape required by your particular helmet. I can personnaly attest that both first options are a viable way to go... And after testing both, the flexible ones from kill kill kill are very efficient for what you pay, the hex is flawless and evethough none of the reach visors had hex ingame, it realy gives it that spartan look... Plus you dont have to work with shatter proof material ( the motorcycle visors ) that are hell to cut with anything other than a band saw ( tried bandsaw and dremel).

Anyways the choice is yours but I would be against printing one...

You would have to test print anything with that fillament to instantly realise that it won't be seethrough... More like a translucent material that would scater the light because of all the layers instead of letting it pass trough normaly...

Buying one may be the way to go, there are multiple options : motorcycle helmet visor, the ones Kill Kill Kill sells on etsy ( these ones already have the hexagonal pattern on them ) or, if you are doing any helmet resembling the eva or pilot you will need to print and finish the visor part of the helmet and use it as a buck to vacuform yourself a visor of any shape required by your particular helmet. I can personnaly attest that both first options are a viable way to go... And after testing both, the flexible ones from kill kill kill are very efficient for what you pay, the hex is flawless and evethough none of the reach visors had hex ingame, it realy gives it that spartan look... Plus you dont have to work with shatter proof material ( the motorcycle visors ) that are hell to cut with anything other than a band saw ( tried bandsaw and dremel).

Anyways the choice is yours but I would be against printing one...

tottally agree i once made a small commison with that stuff fot a magical lamp or something its good foor shattering light but far from see through

the files arent really there because only a few people print their armor due to the fact its expensive and heavy. if you really want the files you could commison someone to make it. for material i would recommend PLA since its easy to print but others might have diffrent opinions but sure as hell dont try try ABS with an open printer. and if you print your armor you just to clean the prints prime and sand it before painting.

Why do you mean it's heavy? You don't have to print 100% infill.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you want someone to make the full Reach armor, well... It can cost you few $$$. ^^'
I can recommend a guy named Fabian, he does amazing models and I'm very fond of his work.

Basically you can go on Ebay to pick up the visor for about $25-$30 that is already pretinted to either Gold, Blue or Purple Iridium(there may be more than these 3 options but they seemed to be the ones in my opinion that stand out the most as being closer to game reference material)

to do the pattern for the hexagon is going to be a bit time consuming but unless you wanna drop $75-$80 for one with it already applied you could try using a hex stencil like this one: https://bd15decals.com/products/a4-size-hex-sheet which runs about $15

and do a very thin layer using spaz stix ultimate mirror chrome aerosol paint. Ive seen several videos using this and Im not pushing the product just using it as an example

or if you have access to a vacuuform system you could do a clear visor and just apply a metalic film to it.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/193364395/flexible-metallic-visor-material
this ones just an example I came across

There is also this one i came across on etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/209765864/visor-only-vacuum-form-custom-master
from the reading on this page it was custom fit for a member here at the 405th but according to the page they take custom orders

hope some of this is useful

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you mean it's heavy? You don't have to print 100% infill.

- - - Updated - - -

Well if you want someone to make the full Reach armor, well... It can cost you few $$$. ^^'
I can recommend a guy named Fabian, he does amazing models and I'm very fond of his work.

even without printing on 100% fill witch almost no one ever does (besides very specific things) it can still become pretty heavy one of the biggest complaints i hear from people who printed their armors. though i dont like the lloks of 3d printed armors either though

even without printing on 100% fill witch almost no one ever does (besides very specific things) it can still become pretty heavy one of the biggest complaints i hear from people who printed their armors. though i dont like the lloks of 3d printed armors either though

Compared to EVA foam everything is heavier.
Printed armor isn't heavier than pepakura armor, when finished.

Compared to EVA foam everything is heavier.
Printed armor isn't heavier than pepakura armor, when finished.

fair enough still think pepekura is the better options from what i have seen from your work i like well done pepekura way more then printed

Depending on what you're printing I can help you get in the right direction. I wouldn't recommend making it all out of 3D printed parts, too time consuming with printing and by the time some parts are finished printing you could of made it out of foam. For my armor I've just 3D printed the shoulders, handplates, knife, sheath, and knees. For the shoulders and knees I used the obj file on the 405th file archive and fixed them up a bit. I found a higher quality one of the Commando shoulder somewhere else though. As CommanderPalmer said, you don't need to use 100% these parts use 7% infill and they're pretty strong and durable for what I need.

Knife: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/halo-reach-combat-knife-4256
Sheath:https://www.myminifactory.com/object/halo-reach-sheath-for-combat-knife-5081
Handplates: https://www.myminifactory.com/object/halo-reach-spartan-iii-handplate-male-3610

Let me know if you need any other help!

Thanks for all the feedback guys! :D I would like to ask though, what exactly do you mean by 7% or 100% infill?

So depending on the software you are using for your 3D printer, when printing something you can set the amount of material in the interior of whatever your printing to strengthen it so if it slightly bends or something it won't just break.

3DP-Infill-Percentage-1024x745.jpg

Attachments

• 3DP-Infill-Percentage-1024x745.jpg
    3DP-Infill-Percentage-1024x745.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 333
Oh! That makes sense! I would probably do like 15% infill then. Wouldn't the bondo strengthen the exterior so it wouldn't need to much infill? (Lol 3D printer plastic be weak af) Also, sorry about not quoting, I still don't know how XD

BlueFire you copy paste their name to mention
you say weak what matirials do you use and what wall thickness?

- - - Updated - - -

becuase pla and abs can be pretty damn strong dropped my helmet countless times

infill is half of it .... Wall perms are the other..... you want 3-4 perms Min to keep shape.... Else things can get freeky.. and also with more wall you can sand In to it more and not expose the infill core.

peterthethinker is right id reccomend first getting to know more about printing and some smaller projects then to start on a complete armor we all had to learn first

3 suits later . I made some HUGE mistakes .

Look at it this way .there are 100 ways to print a suit..... Ive tried 3

Of those 2 are meh.. the 3rd is much better and just so happens is also the same conclusion that the other armor printers here have done.

I have some time these next few weeks . If you dont mind a 10+ min video I ll gladlyshare what I did and this way people here dont have to try things that are a total failure and waste of time and pastic

peterthethinker thats pretty cool i have no interest in printing a suit just tried to help him but i am curious how much filemant went into yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back