Very first (foam) build. DFT ODST(another one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freefall

Hi everyone. I've wanted to do this for quite some time. Long time lurker here, and now actually putting action on a project. :) Goal is to be done in about 4 weeks. I don't have a lot of time at night, so mostly work on the weekend. But here's where I'm at so far. :) The DFT was the easiest for me to get a start somewhere, due to the video tutorial series with the templates. Some parts I may re-do for more personal spin. Currently it's, for the most part, the template build (as I'm sure you all can tell). Working on the legs now. Will add pics when finished with those.. I think the hardest part so far has been widening the chest piece, since I'm not as fit as Andrew. :)

I cant remember who it was that was getting some recommendations on sharp blades on their DFT ODST thread, but if you're looking at this thread, I got a kershaw sharpener off of amazon and a few swipes across that thing, and the blade glides through the foam. Recommend getting a sharpener. It extends the blade life tremendously.

Anyway, thanks for looking...advice always welcome.

Thanks

odst1.jpg
odst2.jpg

Looks great so far.
I've got to give DFT some props. Though his explanations could use a little work, his recent set of videos have caused a huge surge of people making odsts.

Love it! I haven't used my sharpener on any of my cheap blades yet but you're right, a sharp blade makes all the difference! Now, if only I could make my shoulders as clean as yours are! Andrew did an amazing job on his web series, made the prospect of making my first armor not as scary :D

Looking Really good for a first build. And yes the sharpener is great have one that we use as well even on our hot knife. Keep up the good work Helljumper and welcome to the ranks.

Looks good, nice clean cuts! One tip I have for you is when you're gluing if your using hot glue and you have some spill over, I rub my finger across it and try and get as much of it off as I can while it's hot. Since its already dry you could carefully heat it back up and rub the glue off. Also of course using qwik seal on the seams give it a finished look but your lines look amazing! Keep the good work up!

Thanks for the tip! I try cleaning up the glue. It's a high temp gun and the glue can almost melt flesh hehehe. I should have slowed down some and heed more contact cement. I'll continue to clean up by reheating.

Thanks again!

It looks very nice and clean regardless.
And yeah, touching hot glue while it's hot? Not really recommended for this long.

So....I ran into a thrift store and was looking around and found some youth type under padding for some sport...who knows, but the padding pieces looked really cool to me...so I decided to add them to my chest piece. I added a small piece to the back so i could attach some of the pads there and then added a couple to the shoulders, because they seemed like they fit there. So now my armor is turning more and more unauthentic by the day, but some kind of made up variant of mine. I'm not sure if that's taboo or not. Wasn't intentional....just a happy accident as Bob Ross would say. But here's where I'm at with my chest. I'm considering new thigh pieces that wrap around instead of strap on, as well as possible new shins. But you can see where this has been going over the past couple days...I know I know...the glue looks bad (especially with the light reflection) still working on cleaning that up.

dftodstchest.jpg

I know I know...the glue looks bad
Hey, the glue looks fine, and it could be a lot worse - my first foam build had blobs of glue in odd places, and all over the place, so your start is better than mine was!

So now my armor is turning more and more unauthentic by the day, but some kind of made up variant of mine. I'm not sure if that's taboo or not.
I'd say that unless you're trying to make a screen-accurate ODST[SUP]*[/SUP], things like those are fine. Besides which, custom additions like this can be explained as being mounts for things that were lost in combat, for example. It all adds to the personal flavour of the build.

In fact, now that I think about it, the padding you added to the lower back area brings to mind the vest that's seen there in-game. So there is that.

And if you do want screen-accurate, DFT is the worst place to start.

Never fear being original with design. True artistry is when you take something cool and make it 10x better. Also remeber as an ODST fan it's always nice to update the design of the earlier gear to compete with the newer HD Spartans of Halo 5.

I wanted to use his (DFT) as a base start. And get familiar with technique. I like to watch adft, Bill Doran and evil Ted. Not necessarily in that order. ��. All have great techniques. Going to go with a newer build and slow downing my next one. Already thinking ahead. Work on it over vacation at the end of the year. :)

Worst? He has pretty good and accurate builds especially since they are all free hand

DFT builds are good beginner builds and look accurate at a distance, but key details are incorrect. Gauntlets, and shins are especially off. In the case of the reach odst the thigh plates don't wrap as far around. The knee surrounds lack key detailing and the shape is somewhat similar but much less boxy. The same goes for the gauntlets. On a true odst they are much more tapered, and have much more detail. So in reality it is a close representation, but be aware that game accurate is a term that should be treated with caution. As many purist will quickly point out the obvious.

@ Freefalll Sorry to be a hitchhiker on you thread had to clear that up. However by no means should stop what your doing because man that is some Very impressive foam work. :thumbsup You seem to have figured out the secret to it and is producing what appears to be another epic ODST a build. Cant wait to see the suit painted and what other cool ideas you have to modify it.

That's a great start to a good build! Well done! I'm working on a couple Andrew DFT ODST suits too, for my son and I.

@ Freefalll Sorry to be a hitchhiker on you thread had to clear that up. However by no means should stop what your doing because man that is some Very impressive foam work. :thumbsup You seem to have figured out the secret to it and is producing what appears to be another epic ODST a build. Cant wait to see the suit painted and what other cool ideas you have to modify it.

No worries at all. I appreciate all feedback and points of view. It's how we grow individually and as a group . Hope to start painting this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back