First Build - H3 ODST Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwinMustang

Jr Member
So, this will be my first build. I've never built a cosplay before, but this seems like as good a place to start as any.

The first thing I'm doing is the Body armour, starting with the chest, then the back

Pictures to follow. Wish me luck!!

T

Welcome fellow Spartan

Your not the first person to build ODST armour recently so I would recommend checking those threads out and befriending them so you can work as a team to build your armour.
In the other forums I have suggested checking out Andrew DFT on youtube, he recently did a Reach ODST which might be helpful as a tutorial. I know its from a different game but you can take what he teaches and apply it to your armour. Aside from that, just check out other threads here on the forum and ask questions there, we are all here to help.

If you're inclined to do a bit of guesswork and free-form pattern making Andrew DFT has in the past done pseudo-templates for a Halo 3: ODST style which can be dug up through the wayback machine of his Facebook page. They're what I used as a start to figure out some basic shapes and then modified them as needed.

If you do get stuck, I have the foam patterns that I did in SketchUp scaled for myself (5'9", 170lbs, hockey player build) in PDF form ready to print on 11"x17" paper.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm terrible at free-form patterning. I was starting to learn from my armouring mentor (steel and leather for armoured martial arts), but work forced me to abandon my training with him to move 1000 miles away.

I'm planning to do a couple pre-patterned suits first before I try striking out and modifying my own patterns.

I'm using Andrew DFTs templates. It is a great start. I was going to straight off the template for the main parts but go back and add to them. get a blade sharpener if you don't have one. Well worth the investment (inexpensive investment at that). Looking forward to your build!

If you're inclined to do a bit of guesswork and free-form pattern making Andrew DFT has in the past done pseudo-templates for a Halo 3: ODST style which can be dug up through the wayback machine of his Facebook page. They're what I used as a start to figure out some basic shapes and then modified them as needed.

If you do get stuck, I have the foam patterns that I did in SketchUp scaled for myself (5'9", 170lbs, hockey player build) in PDF form ready to print on 11"x17" paper.

I'd like those patterns! maybe this will be my first halo build. I will PM you my email addy.

On the picture of your chest plate it looks like there are a bunch of holes in the middle. Those might be hard to hide. But good job so far. One tip for you is before you plastidip or however you are going to seal your foam, I would put some qwik seal along the seams to give them a more finished look and to fill the gaps up. There is a video on YouTube that Evil Ted Smith has that talks about using qwik seal on foam, I would highly recommend watching that before you think about qwik sealing your foam.

keep up the good work!

Thanks! Those are pins. I haven't actually glued anything yet, as I'm still unsure what glue I'm using. The type of glue will determine the order of construction. If I use hot glue, I need to heat form the pieces first, then glue. Vice versa if I use other less heat-sensitive glue.

Welp, the helmet I had in the works turned out to be too small for my apparently overlarge head. Back to the drawing board!

I'm dismantling the rim for now, but I'll eventually finish it and use it on a static display.

I think I'm going to alter my build a little. I'm going to play through the games again, but I'm leaning towards a Mark V or VI build, since it's so iconic.

T

Alright, looks like i"m focusing on the Halo 5 Spartan IV Helljumper build. Same basic idea, but the patterns agree with me a little more.... ish... I'll have to play with them in Designer to fix some overlaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back