Getting into Cosplaying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyJonas

Hey everyone, Im excited to start getting into cosplaying! Im starting off doing a halo reach noble six cosplay, and I need a lil bit of guidance for making the armor templates for me. (besides the helmet) What Ill be using is EVA foam and anything else that yall might suggest. I hope on joining the regiments when its done! Thank you!

Hey everyone, Im excited to start getting into cosplaying! Im starting off doing a halo reach noble six cosplay, and I need a lil bit of guidance for making the armor templates for me. (besides the helmet) What Ill be using is EVA foam and anything else that yall might suggest. I hope on joining the regiments when its done! Thank you!

Welcome to the community! I'd recommend doing lots and lots of reading here, as all of the info is present for you to complete an armor set! Good luck with your research and building, and I look forward to seeing what you can create.

FlyinPhil is correct. Lots of research. Lots of very sharp knife blades a blade sharpener to go along with them to keep them sharp. Dont even start out with hot glue go straight for the contact/barge cement. Patience patience and dont give up. Build and learn new tricks lots of them lurking around here to learn.

Jumping right into deep water. Kusak and FlyinPhil are right, start reading the 'Stuck' threads and then check out other builds similar to what you wish to build. If your going to start with an ODST then I'd recommend checking out Andrew DFT on youtube. If your going to do a normal spartan suit then search for the armour's name and you should find something. If not, just ask the question and if its necessary, throw in a picture.

Welcome

And don't forget, there are a ton of tut (tutorial) videos on Youtube. Welcome to the 405th.

FlyinPhil is correct. Lots of research. Lots of very sharp knife blades a blade sharpener to go along with them to keep them sharp. Dont even start out with hot glue go straight for the contact/barge cement. Patience patience and dont give up. Build and learn new tricks lots of them lurking around here to learn.
Thanks man, means a lot for just a community like this to look after each other! Anyway what brand should you recommend for barge cement?

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the community! I'd recommend doing lots and lots of reading here, as all of the info is present for you to complete an armor set! Good luck with your research and building, and I look forward to seeing what you can create.
Thank you so much for lookin out! Ill be building soon!

Thanks man, means a lot for just a community like this to look after each other! Anyway what brand should you recommend for barge cement?

Barge is the company name that makes that type of contact cement. If you're not in US though be prepared to either pay an arm and a leg to ship in Barge or to go hunting for a similar quality contact cement made by a different manufacturer. Right now I'm experimenting with a few different cements and adhesives from LePage which is a fairly common brand to find in Canada.

Welcome to the 405th! As Dirtdives has mentioned there is alot of knowledge to be had, and if you are not already browsing youtube, and or pinterest (yes i said pinterest) because they pull from all of the DIY places and its convienent to see what others have done there... my recommendations as seen above, blades, lots and lots and lots of blades, and sharpen after about 3 or 4 cuts. i bought this sharpener from amazon, and its great! pick up a decent heat gun as well... great for forming and shaping.

good luck and have fun building!

pick up a decent heat gun as well... great for forming and shaping.

Just an addition to this, if you can find a heat gun with different nozzle attachments I highly recommend it. Some times you'll want to only hear a certain area or in the case of my visor, along a certain line, so things like a flat blade nozzle can be extremely handy.

Just an addition to this, if you can find a heat gun with different nozzle attachments I highly recommend it. Some times you'll want to only hear a certain area or in the case of my visor, along a certain line, so things like a flat blade nozzle can be extremely handy.

YES! What Turbo said! also a neat trick if you want to bend a shape on one side of a piece score the opposite side with a soldering iron and while the foam is still melted stick the scored sides together. makes an excellent sharper formed shape! plenty of youtube videos on it, its pretty easy to do, and it feels like you're making a 3d puzzle!

Thanks for adding onto the heat gun comment Turbo, I totally forgot about the attachments!

YES! What Turbo said! also a neat trick if you want to bend a shape on one side of a piece score the opposite side with a soldering iron and while the foam is still melted stick the scored sides together. makes an excellent sharper formed shape! plenty of youtube videos on it, its pretty easy to do, and it feels like you're making a 3d puzzle!

That's the best thing about forums like this, you get to learn so many little tricks that people use and their alternate uses for tools that most of us have kicking around anyway. I tend to keep my soldering iron away from foam (computer engineer protective of his lab equipment) but do use a similar trick with a hot knife and wood burning attachment.

That's the best thing about forums like this, you get to learn so many little tricks that people use and their alternate uses for tools that most of us have kicking around anyway. I tend to keep my soldering iron away from foam (computer engineer protective of his lab equipment) but do use a similar trick with a hot knife and wood burning attachment.

very good point! i have a $4 soldering iron for costume builds and my other soldering gun doesn't come anywhere near the foam! :) although i don't do the electronics more just wiring in cars and what not. not as detailed as your work! i am going to have to keep you in mind for electronics ideas for future projects. what is your favorite aspect of comp engineering? as a mechanical engineer myself i would have to say the most fun part of working with cars is making all that go fast!

its hard splitting your time up among multiple hobbies...
3KGT.jpg

very good point! i have a $4 soldering iron for costume builds and my other soldering gun doesn't come anywhere near the foam! :) although i don't do the electronics more just wiring in cars and what not. not as detailed as your work! i am going to have to keep you in mind for electronics ideas for future projects. what is your favorite aspect of comp engineering? as a mechanical engineer myself i would have to say the most fun part of working with cars is making all that go fast!

its hard splitting your time up among multiple hobbies...
View attachment 32051

I specialized in control systems and mechatronics so the easiest way to describe it is "ROBOT, ROBOT, ROBOT!".

I'm just starting to add electronics to costumes since it's easier to mount things into 3D prints than wood/foam. Oh yeah, sparkly new 3D printer sitting on my desk that I've been working on making some models for the 405th on and then looking into doing casts of them.

I specialized in control systems and mechatronics so the easiest way to describe it is "ROBOT, ROBOT, ROBOT!".

I'm just starting to add electronics to costumes since it's easier to mount things into 3D prints than wood/foam. Oh yeah, sparkly new 3D printer sitting on my desk that I've been working on making some models for the 405th on and then looking into doing casts of them.

where do you live, and when can we put together a build party? you just said my 4 top favorite things in one post! Robotics, (that was my favorite classes in engineering school), 3D printing, Castings (i want to learn how to do this) and adding electronics into costumes...

seriously. i hope you live close to the Chicago land area.

what brand printer did you pick up?

seriously. i hope you live close to the Chicago land area.

Sadly not even close, Victoria on the West Coast. Due to paying down student loans and saving up for a home down payment I don't often come out East unless on a business trip.

what brand printer did you pick up?

It's an M3D Micro which is babby's first printer while I learn the ropes of printing and modeling. I've only had it for two weeks so far and I've been printing like a mad man so it gets my thumbs up. The obvious downside is the small print bed but it's great as a desktop printer and the price was right for a point of jumping into being a PLAer.

It's an M3D Micro which is babby's first printer while I learn the ropes of printing and modeling. I've only had it for two weeks so far and I've been printing like a mad man so it gets my thumbs up. The obvious downside is the small print bed but it's great as a desktop printer and the price was right for a point of jumping into being a PLAer.

very good starting point. I'm building my own printer, its just taking forever to build... I've gotten all of the frame pieces machined from aluminum and i just sent them to anodizing. its a mendel max 2... i got the heated bed so i can do ABS as well... hopefully i get that thing done this year, otherwise I should probably just sell it.

Definetly correct Barge is a name brand of one version. Barge cement is actually a bit stronger than DAP Weldwood. Joann fabrics stores carry Barge but they dont always have it in stock. You can order it directly from Tandy Leather and Joann Fabric. Now in my case because of having to order it. I am using DAP Weldwood which is available at Lowes or Home Depot and most other home improvement stores as well as Wal Mart. You can find it in anything from a 4 oz bottle up to a 1 Gallon can. I have one of the smaller bottles that has the brush in it and I get the little one pint cans that I work from. The bottle for the brush. We also carry one of the bottles in our Cosplay repair kit. I switched to the pint cans even though they are a bit more expensive than the quart can simply because I hit the point that the quart can wouldnt close and I lost about a pint.

Definetly correct Barge is a name brand of one version. Barge cement is actually a bit stronger than DAP Weldwood. Joann fabrics stores carry Barge but they dont always have it in stock. You can order it directly from Tandy Leather and Joann Fabric. Now in my case because of having to order it. I am using DAP Weldwood which is available at Lowes or Home Depot and most other home improvement stores as well as Wal Mart. You can find it in anything from a 4 oz bottle up to a 1 Gallon can. I have one of the smaller bottles that has the brush in it and I get the little one pint cans that I work from. The bottle for the brush. We also carry one of the bottles in our Cosplay repair kit. I switched to the pint cans even though they are a bit more expensive than the quart can simply because I hit the point that the quart can wouldnt close and I lost about a pint.
I finished my cosplay just in time for Alamo city comic con! it came out perfect for a first try! Now I just need to get into a regiment. Which Idk how to do...

50 posts and 1 month? I think.......Don't spam every thread w/ 1 word just to get to posting level. Once you reach that level, contact either the CO of your Regiment or FANGS ​and she can insert you in to the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back