WIP Reach Mk V foam and pep build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicRob434

So to begin with, this isn't my first build. My first build was Mjolnir gen II, which looked like this:
Screenshot_20160730-142127_1.jpg
I wasn't satisfied with it because I didn't fill the obvious seams, I didn't seal the foam properly, and i completely rushed the helmet. So i decided to take a step back to the Mk V armor and make a completely different suit. So far I've completed the chest piece and I'm currently working on cutting out the biceps.
IMAG0422.jpgIMAG0425.jpgIMAG0431.jpg
I'll be using contact cement for everything because it's a stronger join and the seams are less noticeable.
*EDIT*
All my files were found on the file archive, if it's worth the mention.

Update time! A major problem with my last suit was that i didn't properly seal the foam. Meaning not at all, rookie mistake. So, in between cutting and gluing pieces for the bicep I decided to test a sealing method.
This little piece is the product of 2 layers of watered down latex caulk and 5 layers of plasti dip.
IMAG0432.jpg
I think this method will work just fine, if anyone has any others ideas lemme know.

Looks like you are going to get a nice smooth surface with your sealing method. How does it flex? Do you get any crease lines from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sealing foam with latex works very well and is commonly used too.
I recommend checking PunishedProps on YouTube, they have very helpful videos.

Recently Punished Props released a video where they ran through a bunch of different common methods of sealing foam and did some basic stress tests on them which is extremely handy since you can basically gauge the method on your price point/ability/material requirements and have some insight into how the finished product will turn out.

Badabing I made some progress. Took longer than I would've liked honestly.
IMAG0437.jpg
And a look at the front of it
IMAG0438.jpg
They turned out a bit tight so what I'll end up doing is slicing the inner part and add a small expansion piece.

Six days of no progress up until now. I'm assembling the forearm and it seems rather large on the back end but it'll be fine.
IMAG0440.jpg
I did have to step away from contact cement because of how difficult it would have been for certain areas like this.
IMAG0442.jpg
I've found that in areas where you need to glue have three edges surrounding it, it's best to hot glue it but be careful about it and to keep edges flush.

Thoughts on superglue for those tight areas? I'm hot gluing 99% of my first suit due to time constraints, but the next one will be as much contact cement as I can, as I won't be stressed for time.

Everything is looking really good. Can't wait to see the progress/ completion

Thoughts on superglue for those tight areas? I'm hot gluing 99% of my first suit due to time constraints, but the next one will be as much contact cement as I can, as I won't be stressed for time.

I used superglue for those exact pieces on the arm and it's held up really well! I did reinforce it with hot glue after it was cured just to be sure but I haven't had any issues and I wear my armor a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any problems with hot glue melting in hot weather? Or do you use high-temp hot glue?

I've had vinyl transfers start to peel up in 30'C heat with direct sun but I've never had hot glue start to let go. I'm not sure what the temperature extremes are for your neck of the woods but I wouldn't imagine it to be an issue for you even without high temperature glue.

I considered super glue but contact cement came in much larger batches. And i believe it's stronger could be wrong though.

I keep forgetting to take more progress pics. Eh whatever I'll do it later. Anyway I made the GUNGIR shoulder pieces in about two hours
IMAG0447.jpg
They turned out nice but im gonna layer up more foam to give it a bit more pop
IMAG0449.jpg
I'm gonna slap the UGPS, made out of foam onto a forearm next. I'll stick an old phone under it and run a video for a few hours on it to give it a "tactical" feel.

Haven't updated in awhile so here's one now. Decided to scrap the UGPS idea until much later when I detail everything. I traced all the individual pieces for cod piece three days ago.
IMAG0454.jpg
I really hate the tracing stage for each part. It's unbearably tedious. It took about two days to cut out all of them because I was being as precise as possible.
IMAG0455.jpg
On to gluing!

Gluing was an absolute pain and took too long but that's what i get for choosing contact cement
IMAG0459.jpgIMAG0460.jpgIMAG0462.jpg
I was able to do a quick fitting test to see if it sits right. I had to take it apart so the contact cement didn't completely set. It's kinda snug and I'm gonna have to use webbing's on the butt plate to make it travel friendly.
IMAG0461.jpghalo-reach-20100524102959012.jpg
I think it sits in the right place. What do you guys think? (sorry about how blurry it is btw.)
A little over halfway there its all downhill from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back