Schankerz' First Halo Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small update: ODST plate is all glued together and I'm really happy with how it turned out! All I've got to do is detail it up a bit and stick this sucker on one of the biceps. Which brings me on to other news that the other bicep is finished which means ODST plate #2 is on its way!

image (29).jpegimage (27).jpegimage (28).jpeg

Update! Both biceps are finished as well as their ODST shoulder plated counterparts!
Very happy with how they turned out and now I'm moving onto the thighs!

Just a bit of KwikSeal on the gaps and I'd say you're golden. Good work mang.

Nice bulk on the shoulders. My biggest pet peeve is when the body armor looks too small, giving the costume a cartoonish look with the large head. I seriously doubt you'll have this problem. Where did you get so good with EVA? Because this stuff is great.

Nice bulk on the shoulders. My biggest pet peeve is when the body armor looks too small, giving the costume a cartoonish look with the large head. I seriously doubt you'll have this problem. Where did you get so good with EVA? Because this stuff is great.

Bulk and scaling were a huge thing for me coming in just because I'm more of a creative type and if I make something disproportionate in any way it upsets me very, very much. :p Just takes a whole lot of planning, measuring and a little faith! Also this is my first time ever using EVA for ANYTHING so everything you see here is me taking a months worth of scanning this site and youtube for every tip and trick in the book and doing my best to apply it here.

Update: Thanks to the long weekend I was able to complete both thigh pieces, they still need a bit of fine tuning and a lot of KwikSeal but they fit nicely and I'm ready to move onto the shins!
image (35).jpeg image (34).jpeg

Thank you all for the support and I'll see you among the forums! (Go Jays Go!)

You're patient! I found this site and read around for about two days before I decided I had to jump in. Thighs look solid, keep it up!

So I've run into a bit of a problem that I knew was going to bite me in the a** sooner or later. I'm way to freakin tall. Particularly my legs, which with the pepakura files Iv'e been able to find, are too long and too skinny to scale properly with the file. If i try to scale the file larger to fit the length it becomes to bulky/wide and won't fit my leg anymore. So I've decided I'm going pepakura free on this one, not only that but given this new opportunity I've decided to try and make the shin armour (and knee guard) from the noble six concept art I'm using as my template for my suit.
haloreach_character_unsc_noble_member_noble_six_by_isaac_hannaford.jpg

It's going to take a bit of work and measuring to put this thing together but I have a reasonable amount of confidence I can pull this off.
Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

Attachments

• haloreach_character_unsc_noble_member_noble_six_by_isaac_hannaford.jpg
    haloreach_character_unsc_noble_member_noble_six_by_isaac_hannaford.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 220
I feel you on that. I'm 6'4" myself, so getting the Pep files to fit properly can be a challenge.

I realized that luckily before I've gotten too far into my build. What I've started doing, is printing the foam files out in pep, then just mocking them up by cutting out the pieces on cardstock, and taping them together real quick to get an idea of the finished dimensions of the piece. From there, I can see exactly what I need to adjust. I also check for better ways I can design certain pieces. Some pieces and angles just don't translate very well from the model to foam. From there, I basically design and create my own foam templates, and build from those. I'll build one piece first as a tester, and if all goes good I just build the second one. If there are some small changes that need to be made, I'll adjust accordingly, and then build again.

In the end, its a much longer process, but overall the general shape and design of the piece is far superior. Well worth it in my opinion.

OOoff those shoulders, they are amazing :O :O
It's looking amazing so far and I am totally jealous!!

Keep it up!

As I said before I love that Shin armor and wish there was a pep file for it, alas it is concept art so we must improvise... I cant wait to see the finished product! When I was doing my ODST I made the templates myself for the shins because I was designing them off the live action trailer (we are ODST) and they had not made a pep file for it, in the end I was pleasantly surprised with my own templates. I think you get an extra bit of satisfaction from your own designs and creations ;) Best of luck Bro and keep up the amazing work!

Small update on the shins, I've got the basic shape cut out and glued together, I've got a few more pieces I'd like to add and a lot more detailing but so far so good.

IMG_2473.JPGIMG_2469.JPGIMG_2470.JPG

Here are the paper templates I made for it if anyone is interested in them, I don't know how much use it is without measurements but if someone asks I'd be happy to give them.
IMG_2466.JPG

Nice but how are you keeping the pieces on your body? I'm also working on my first eva foam build and am running into this problem a lot. Oh and as a last resort this may help
it is a Halo reach odst tutorial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but how are you keeping the pieces on your body? I'm also working on my first eva foam build and am running into this problem a lot. Oh and as a last resort this may help
it is a Halo reach odst tutorial.

I have more layers of foam inside the armour so it fits better and stays in the right place but they do still slide around so I'm going to have buckles and straps to keep them in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update! (IT FITS! WOOO) The shin piece has it's details in place and aside from a few patches that need kwik seal I'm all set! Just got to get the other one done now and the knee guards.

View attachment 32655View attachment 32656View attachment 32657View attachment 32658View attachment 32659

YASSSS!!! they look amazing bro! I'm filled with absolute joy right now that someone was able to execute these shins. do you plan on adding more or will you add details behind your shin on the under suit?

YASSSS!!! they look amazing bro! I'm filled with absolute joy right now that someone was able to execute these shins. do you plan on adding more or will you add details behind your shin on the under suit?

Thank you very much! Took me a while to proportion it with my giraffe legs but it turned out good!
Detailing on the back depends on what my under suit situation will be, I do have a default one right now that's just my skiing under clothes but I may just get something better later on. I do plan to add details on the back of the shin regardless though, whether it be on the under suit or the piece itself. Unfortunately as you can see from the concept art they don't show the back to often on this or any of the other reach spartan concepts, it's kinda just a mess of lines which means more improvising on my part...yay.

Update, and then there were two!
image (47).jpeg

Sorry about the recent lack of progress, unfortunately, there's a lot more to this senior project than just making the suit, there's papers and journals and all that fun stuff (not).

Edit: Also just realized, 50 posts!!! Only 22 days now until that New Recruit title says goodbye! (Yes I've been counting)

Looks super good so far!

I'm actually really curious to see how this turns out, as I am also 6' 7" and think it would be sweet to have a suit for halloween and events and stuff. It's pretty close to chief's actual height, so I think it would be a pretty intimidating effect. I've just never gotten around to it.

Not sure if I missed it somewhere but what foam are you using and where did you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back