Schankerz' First Halo Reach Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic looking. Lines are straight and clean. A bit of filling in and sanding but Fantastic job. Question: The small cut sections, are you using a regular blade or the hot knife? I can't seem to get the smaller cuts as clean w/o going over the lines like you can.

Thank you! This piece is far from completed finished I assure you, lots of work yet to be done! As for the small cuts I am using a regular blade, and it is in every way a colossal pain in the butt to do. To avoid going over my lines I cut in as much as I can without going over any lines and once I've done everything I could I flip the piece over and find where the section I want cut out is underneath and start cutting it out from underneath. After I've spent a while whittling away at this I get to the point where I can rip that sucker out without causing much if not any damage. Sorry if that explanation is a bit wordy, I suck at tutorials. :unsure

Ok, small update. Finnaly got my nylon straps and buckles so I was able to finish the cod piece, still needs a bit reinforcing and such but for now it fits and I'm pretty happy with it.

IMG_2552.JPG

Secondly I started doodling around with how I want the design of my helmet to look like, and I came up with this. (CommanderPalmer I think you particularly are going to like this)

IMG_2551.JPG

This is is a wolf design I based off of Commander Wolffe's helmet from Star Wars. The main colour isn't going to be white though, it is going to be a greyish black with the orange design you see here. Any thoughts on how this looks? Any constructive criticism for this would be much appreciated!

Great job so far man, really digging the helmet design. If you do decide on something like that, one thing you could do is have the design also be on the rest of the suit, just enough here and there to make it match.

The wolf design looks really cool. It's especially fitting to an odst helmet since they usually have more personalized armor.

Ok, small update. Finnaly got my nylon straps and buckles so I was able to finish the cod piece, still needs a bit reinforcing and such but for now it fits and I'm pretty happy with it.

View attachment 34003

Secondly I started doodling around with how I want the design of my helmet to look like, and I came up with this. (CommanderPalmer I think you particularly are going to like this)

View attachment 34002

This is is a wolf design I based off of Commander Wolffe's helmet from Star Wars. The main colour isn't going to be white though, it is going to be a greyish black with the orange design you see here. Any thoughts on how this looks? Any constructive criticism for this would be much appreciated!

Damn looking good! I wish I had thought of that idea of just reinforcing with more foam, I just wrapped nylon strap on the interior and covered all of it in a nice layer of hot glue to reinforce. But this seems much better pure Genius bro! And the Helmet looks great! Love the Star Wars Halo Montage, 2 of my favorite sci-fi things thrown into one nothing wrong with that :thumbsup

Damn looking good! I wish I had thought of that idea of just reinforcing with more foam, I just wrapped nylon strap on the interior and covered all of it in a nice layer of hot glue to reinforce. But this seems much better pure Genius bro! And the Helmet looks great! Love the Star Wars Halo Montage, 2 of my favorite sci-fi things thrown into one nothing wrong with that :thumbsup

Thanks! I had originally thought of using the strap around the whole thing but I've got this bucket full of those detachable thin sections of the EVA foam mats lying around and I thought, hey, wouldn't those work just as good as nylon straps? Turns out they work really well as they are easily bendable and if you buy a lot of foam mats you'll eventually have a pretty big collection of those suckers to use. In fact I've started using them to reinforce sections in my torso piece and gluing them on the inside of some of my leg and arm pieces to make them fit better. I'd highly recommend keeping these parts around like I did, they're more useful than you may think!

Also thanks for the feedback on the helmet design! I really wanted a personalized paint design for my helmet so of course I went scrolling through clone trooper helmet designs which if you guys haven't looked up for inspiration before you definitely should, there's some really fantastic designs there. Here's hoping the actual helmet lives up to the design! :thumbsup

Oh and Thom, I for sure will be implementing the helmets design into my other armour pieces, more sketches of that to come later for sure!

Aright folks, big update: Chestpiece is built and although it still needs quite a bit of kiwi seal and a few details here and there I'm happy to move on to the helmet.

IMG_2569.JPGIMG_2570.JPG

Here's a a closer look at the little control panel thingy-ma-bobber in the center, it was a bit of pain gluing those little pieces (suckers would NOT come off my fingers when I tried to place them down to dry) but I really like the end result.

IMG_2571.JPG

And as a little extra i did a test fit with my arm and cod pieces and I gotta say it felt pretty awesome. :thumbsup

IMG_2572.JPGIMG_2568.JPG

I've already started work on the helmet and while the pepakura file I'm using is a bit daunting, I'm pretty confident I can pull this off!

:eek WOW!!! so clean so nice!!! looks awesome dude very good foam work bro, loving the abdomen console. And wow those ODST shoulders looks really great with a MARK V torso and forearms, plus that feeling of test fitting your first MARK V is pretty awesome haha. Definitely keep the confidence going bro looks great cant wait to see the helmet!

So sexy keep it up :D. For the chestplate are you going to buy pouches or make some out of foam?

Why thank you! :D I'm going to an army surplus store sometime soon to see if they have anything that'll work, if not I'll probably be making the pouches from foam.

Dude!!!! Looks killer. FANTASTIC!!!! Cut lines are pin straight, nothing is pulling and the detail.....wow!!! Great job! ......now...about the water stain streaks on the mirror.........:facepalm

The chest piece looks SUPER good. One question though- Is it supposed to be so much larger than everything else, like Jorge's armor, or did you make the chest piece larger?

The chest piece looks SUPER good. One question though- Is it supposed to be so much larger than everything else, like Jorge's armor, or did you make the chest piece larger?

Thanks! I think I may have made the chest a little bigger than it's suppose to be but I did want it to be quite bulky to avoid the chance of the helmet being too bobbleheadish.

Wow, really like the chest piece. Good idea on a military surplus store, that is something I will probably also do for mine when I get to it. Yeah the chest looks a little bigger but I think it fits just nicely, it looks good that size on you.

Thanks! I think I may have made the chest a little bigger than it's suppose to be but I did want it to be quite bulky to avoid the chance of the helmet being too bobbleheadish.

Oh ok, a slightly oversized chest piece definitely looks better than a bobblehead helmet!

The detail looks fantastic. You guys doing the Mark V armours are really knocking it out of the park.

Fit test feels great eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on the helmet, so I know it's far from perfect, it's a bit off balance in a few places particularly the top front above the visor but hopefully I'll be able to fix that once the visor is installed. There's quite a few places that need Kwik Seal as well and it was made a bit to big but I think with my larger chest piece it looks ok. (My picture taking also sucks and makes it look much less flattering than it actually does) Other than that I think it turned out pretty good, making it from a non-foam modified pep file certainly wasn't the easiest but I think I pulled it off pretty ok.

IMG_2581.JPGIMG_2583.JPGIMG_2584.JPG

I also got to making the helmet mod from the noble six concept art. And for my fellow concept art armour pals I've got the template I made if you guys want to use it. The section on the left can just be flipped to make the one on the right.

IMG_2585.JPGIMG_2586.JPG

Doing a great job. Looks awesome!!! If you heat the helmet you can kind of stretch/bend it in to place to take away that wobble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back