Reach EOD Helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. As I understand, the process of moving up in the community is New Recruit, then the required 50 post/90 day good standing, followed by regiment application, armor completion, and deployment. In that order. Did I miss anything?

Currently it's at 50 posts and 90 days of continued good service. That may change down the line. However, the rest is fairly spot-on - though it may be worth contacting your local area's Regimental leader, you may be able to speed the process up. You won't be able to Deploy without a completed costume, however.

2. Since I am still designing my Halo character, options are wide open for what I end up building. Everything revolves around the Reach EOD helmet I am currently building, since it inspired my research that led me to the 405th. (I do not like the other iterations of the EOD nearly as much.)
There was a section of the forum I read regarding deployment that mentioned the full armor builds must be something you can wear in-game. Since my build revolves around the EOD helmet, I dug through the file archives for any other EOD armor and came up with shoulders and chest piece. The rest I had planned on borrowing from the master chief suit from Halo 4 since I really like that design, and the files are readily available since 117 is so popular. Would mixing armor elements from different Halo games affect successful deployment? I ask because there are not a lot of EOD resources out there and I would be willing to select armor specific to Reach if that is the case.

Deployment, and the procedures surrounding it, are very much up in the air at the moment. We're still working on the specifics, and again, this may change down the line - however, current standing is that we'll be looking primarily at 'canon' builds (that is, games that are possible within game). That's not to say that we discourage custom builds at all - please, feel free to mix and match as you want - but right now we're looking at grading costumes that are possible in-game.

3. How can this place be so AWESOME? I have never met a community so organized and willing to offer advice, while also making it clear that resources are out there for me to find for myself. I'm really glad to have dived straight in.

It's taken a lot of time and hard work to get where we are - and I say this from personal experience, having spent a lot of my free time managing the File Archive and providing other resources to the community. The community is only as good as the effort put into it, and we're really lucky to have staff and members that are passionate about it.

As for 'awesome'... well, I don't mean to brag, but you do have me on board....

4. I built a list of all the armor pieces I plan to build and created a progress tracking sheet, making rough estimates of the time it will take to completion. This was a smart move and very eye opening. I will not complete a build of quality in the original 3 months I allotted for this first suit. Only if I am very dedicated will I have a complete suit in 7 months, and I expect it will take longer because there will be hiccups along the way. I may also be surprised and find the work gets easier over time. We'll see.

Glad to hear you've seen the light. Imposing deadlines on yourself only makes things harder in the long run when you panic and find out you can't meet them - again, something I've learned from experience. Take a piece at a time, work slowly and methodically, and if you find yourself hitting a wall, take a break. This is a hobby, not a job. But, I really look forward to seeing your full suit completed, I'm sure it'll look great. I know of a few EOD lovers who are going to take an interest in this kit as it comes along.

Welcome aboard Spartan! Excellent pepping by the way! Also, the helm with the craft foam looks like it held its shape very well! Definitely admire your willingness to do most if the research yourself. Most people that join up ask questions before they even get there hands dirty. I give props to you. Also, about editing tabs, it is better to have a row of tabs on one edge, and then to have them join to the other edge with no tabs. Staggering tabs can be a pain to work with. Once edges have been selected as to where the unfolder wants the parts to be separated, they then hit the unfold button. It's just that the Pepakura program automatically places the tabs that way after hitting the unfold button. I always go the extra mile with my Unfolds by further editing the tabs. Another tip, to help speed up the build for assembling a pep, is to go to settings>other settings> threshold. Threshold is below the settings that allows you to change the look of the fold lines. Set the threshold to165, that reduces the amount of fold lines. Also, I usually keep the mountain fold lines the same, while I for preference, change the valley fold lines to solid. Makes it way easier to distinguish between the 2 fold lines. I'll definitely be checking in often to see your progress!

One more thing, look at Robotchickens thread for the armor build. Look through pages 17 through 25. One of those pages he has a picture of the resin that he uses. It's what I use to. It's from Smooth-on products. This resin is totally worth every penny.!

Also, I can answer any questions you may have about the Cameo to. I've been using one myself.

Currently it's at 50 posts and 90 days of continued good service. That may change down the line. However, the rest is fairly spot-on - though it may be worth contacting your local area's Regimental leader, you may be able to speed the process up. You won't be able to Deploy without a completed costume, however.

Great. I'm not one to cut corners, but if my work is up to par then I wouldn't mind the fast track.

Deployment, and the procedures surrounding it, are very much up in the air at the moment. We're still working on the specifics, and again, this may change down the line - however, current standing is that we'll be looking primarily at 'canon' builds (that is, games that are possible within game). That's not to say that we discourage custom builds at all - please, feel free to mix and match as you want - but right now we're looking at grading costumes that are possible in-game.

I'll proceed with my custom build. Since most of the pieces will be from H4, I may just make an additional helmet to match at the end if I feel like it.

It's taken a lot of time and hard work to get where we are - and I say this from personal experience, having spent a lot of my free time managing the File Archive and providing other resources to the community. The community is only as good as the effort put into it, and we're really lucky to have staff and members that are passionate about it.

You have my sincere gratitude for that.

As for 'awesome'... well, I don't mean to brag, but you do have me on board....

This is true ;) I've seen many of your posts around the forums.

Glad to hear you've seen the light. Imposing deadlines on yourself only makes things harder in the long run when you panic and find out you can't meet them - again, something I've learned from experience. Take a piece at a time, work slowly and methodically, and if you find yourself hitting a wall, take a break. This is a hobby, not a job. But, I really look forward to seeing your full suit completed, I'm sure it'll look great. I know of a few EOD lovers who are going to take an interest in this kit as it comes along.

This was the most exciting thing I read all night. Generally I am a watch from the sidelines kind of guy, but to think that I can actively contribute to the community from such an early start is highly inspiring. Thank you!

Welcome aboard Spartan! Excellent pepping by the way! Also, the helm with the craft foam looks like it held its shape very well! Definitely admire your willingness to do most if the research yourself. Most people that join up ask questions before they even get there hands dirty. I give props to you. Also, about editing tabs, it is better to have a row of tabs on one edge, and then to have them join to the other edge with no tabs. Staggering tabs can be a pain to work with. Once edges have been selected as to where the unfolder wants the parts to be separated, they then hit the unfold button. It's just that the Pepakura program automatically places the tabs that way after hitting the unfold button. I always go the extra mile with my Unfolds by further editing the tabs. Another tip, to help speed up the build for assembling a pep, is to go to settings>other settings> threshold. Threshold is below the settings that allows you to change the look of the fold lines. Set the threshold to165, that reduces the amount of fold lines. Also, I usually keep the mountain fold lines the same, while I for preference, change the valley fold lines to solid. Makes it way easier to distinguish between the 2 fold lines. I'll definitely be checking in often to see your progress!

All of this is valuable information I will be putting to use, thanks! My main concern with changing the valley folds to solid is that I might mistake them for cutting edges. Certain pieces in the pattern have interior cutouts or tabs and I wouldn't want to miss or mess up.

One more thing, look at Robotchickens thread for the armor build. Look through pages 17 through 25. One of those pages he has a picture of the resin that he uses. It's what I use to. It's from Smooth-on products. This resin is totally worth every penny.!

Went through those pages, very helpful. RobotChicken is one of the primary reasons I ended up joining 405th. His work continues to astound me.

Also, I can answer any questions you may have about the Cameo to. I've been using one myself.

I'm on the verge of buying one, so I will be picking your brain for sure. Any recommendations on model, or is the latest Cameo worth getting?

UPDATE TIME!

Last night was slush-casting, and it went phenomenally well. My friends were laughing because I was so pleased with the results. Huge shout-out to ImpactProps for the introduction to Smooth-On products.

This first pic is the leftovers from my first test with Smooth Cast 300. All following photos are progress on my Practice Helmet (EVA foam).

Cup.jpg

Next, some shots of the interior.

Pre-1.jpgPre-2.jpg

Then the results. There were several areas that weren't sealed by the resin that I missed, which explains why the visor and faceplate are so messy.

Post-1.jpgPost-2.jpg

This is the first time the helmet has really felt like a HELMET. It now has some heft and is fully rigid. I haven't been this excited since I got my last Bionicle action figure.

As for the Cameo I bought the latest version. Also, I don't think you will have an issue with cutting edges, if you were to change the valleys to solid lines. Show me an example you get some time.:)

Quick update before bed. Finally got some gear to work more safely and effectively.
IMG_0788.JPG
Dont mind the scowl. It's all for effect :D

And a side-by-side of both my helmets:
IMG_0787.JPG

Started the resin process on the paper helmet. It took a lot of self control to stop with the top and part of the faceplate. My productive side kept saying "Keep going, you could cover the whole helmet in one go," but the wiser side held back for structural reasons. The paper soaks up resin in a way that the EVA foam does not. Since this is my official helmet, I'm playing extra safe on each step for a better outcome.

IMG_0790.JPG

First forays with Bondo. I really like it. This may be my favorite stage so far. I used scrap cardboard as spatulas. Between the cool weather and perhaps not enough hardener, we'll see how it shapes up. Also covered a bit more of the paper helm with resin.

IMG_0793.JPGIMG_0792.JPG

Ok, since I plan to make virtually all of my armor set from H4 except the EOD helmet, I have been perusing other helmets from the game to match up for eventual deployment, that way I have the helmet I like but can apply for deployment with a suit that will hopefully achieve at least tier 2. That's me, always daydreaming 10 steps ahead of where I am.

I've really fallen for the soldier helmet:
IMG_0795.PNG

When I first saw this screenshot, it almost looked like an Elite because of the angle and coloration. For some reason that really captures my imagination. What kind of strategy would be behind such an idea? It would be pretty radical to run with that vision. Maybe in May 2017 when I've wrapped up the entire build I can see what happens.

It rained today, so no helmet progress. I've been keeping busy optimizing the EOD torso. This shot is the organization stage before I start swapping tab locations:

TorsoOptimizeBack.png

I also ordered a Silhouette Cameo 3. It should arrive this weekend.

Caught a bug from a coworker, so feeling pretty crappy today. Chemical fumes would not be a good combination, so it's onward with the pepakura unfold optimization. Listening to Halo: Cryptum book on Youtube.

This is the only EOD armor piece in the file archive that I can't find a reference picture of anywhere. I won't print it until I see how the shoulders are oriented and their size relative to the wearer. Any help or screenshots would be appreciated.

EOD ShoulderOptimize.png

Cameo is slated to arrive Tuesday. I expect my production will increase dramatically once it arrives and I familiarize myself with it.

Today has been fantastic! The weather is unexpectedly warm and dry, and I took full advantage of it by finishing the exterior resin coat on the paper helmet and adding more bondo to the foam helmet. I need to pick up a dremel set to get the details into the faceplate, which is why I haven't covered it yet.

IMG_0800.JPGIMG_0848.JPG

This is the only EOD armor piece in the file archive that I can't find a reference picture of anywhere. I won't print it until I see how the shoulders are oriented and their size relative to the wearer. Any help or screenshots would be appreciated.

Let me know what your colour scheme and preferred customisation loadout is - helmet, torso, forearms, legs, shoulders. I'll get something set up for you that should help you out.

Let me know what your colour scheme and preferred customisation loadout is - helmet, torso, forearms, legs, shoulders. I'll get something set up for you that should help you out.

Anything EOD from Halo 4. For the sake of seeing details, white works as the color scheme and grey as accent. I'm not entirely decided on the final paint yet.

I already have the H4 EOD torso pep file, and obviously the helmet is from Reach. The shoulders shown above were the only other EOD armor piece in the file archive. I was kind of playing around with the idea of making the remaining pieces of armor from Master Chief's H4 set because the files are very easy to find, but ultimately would like to create a complete EOD set. I just don't have the 3D modeling skills to develop my own unfolds, and pepakura is the most time-conscious method of getting this armor done right now.

I know that's a haphazard answer and I apologize. There are a lot of factors at play in the decision making process, but thank you for your help!

Edit: I should also add that as much as I love Halo I don't actually own any of the games, which makes armor names and references a bit harder to come by, in case that helps explain.

Edit: I should also add that as much as I love Halo I don't actually own any of the games, which makes armor names and references a bit harder to come by, in case that helps explain.

Thank the heavens for me then, right? Whipped this up in 20mins, I'm hoping it will help you with at least the fit and detail on your pieces - if not the colour scheme. If you need futher help, just let me know and I'll do what I can to get you sorted.

Attachments

• render_godwolfen_back_result.jpg
    render_godwolfen_back_result.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 228
  • render_godwolfen_front_result.jpg
    render_godwolfen_front_result.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 225
  • render_godwolfen_left_result.jpg
    render_godwolfen_left_result.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 236
  • render_godwolfen_right_result.jpg
    render_godwolfen_right_result.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 196
  • render_godwolfen_top_result.jpg
    render_godwolfen_top_result.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 220
Thank the heavens for me then, right? Whipped this up in 20mins, I'm hoping it will help you with at least the fit and detail on your pieces - if not the colour scheme. If you need futher help, just let me know and I'll do what I can to get you sorted.

You are a godsend. This is incredible! I am completely at a loss for words to accurately express my gratitude. From now on I won't be flying blind.

*Salutes* THANK YOU SIR!

Glad it'll help you out. As I said, if you need any alterations, please let me know - the set uses the Halo 5 Recruit legs, arm and colour scheme, though if you stumble upon a leg/arms set that you prefer more, I can very easily swap it up for you and re-render the project.

Glad it'll help you out. As I said, if you need any alterations, please let me know - the set uses the Halo 5 Recruit legs, arm and colour scheme, though if you stumble upon a leg/arms set that you prefer more, I can very easily swap it up for you and re-render the project.

I actually like the look of the render, a lot. And the fact that the recruit files are all available in the archive is a huge plus. Obviously this is a mish-mash of games, but I can always build upon it later.

I'm surprised at how much I also like the color scheme. My symbol in Reach was a grey pentagon with a white wolf paw in the center, so this fits that look. And it has some really great contrast between the black, white, and grey. Might just make this the plan.

My going is very slow. The weather is getting colder. My Cameo 3 didn't arrive and I had to call amazon to see what the heck is going on, because according to the tracking the package was delivered at midday. They basically said I have to wait 36 hours before they will do anything, so that sucks.

Been trying to decide if my cardstock helmet is slightly too big. I can't really wear it to decide.

Practice helmet is a mess, as expected. I made the rookie mistake of putting way to much bondo onto way too many faces of the helmet. Live and learn. I should just go ahead and watch every single video CerealKiller has ever made to save myself some headache.

I'm torn between wanting to push foward with the official helmet and wanting to learn from ongoing mistakes. At this point it would take a lot of time, effort, and bondo to get the foam helmet looking remotely decent, and that is time and materials I could spend on the pep helm. At least bondo cures well in cold weather!

Have also been plodding along with the pepakura optimization. Finished the shoulder, need to get on the rear rocket attachments for the torso. I figure I can save time by optimizing one, then flipping it for when I actually print (or eventually cut... grrrr.)

It's worth mentioning that the keyboard on my only working windows laptop is beginning to have problems, which is making pepkura work a real hassle.

Godwolfen;770251 I'm torn between wanting to push foward with the official helmet and wanting to learn from ongoing mistakes. At this point it would take a lot of time said:
If this is the practice helmet, don't use the bondo then. Use Caulk. Its cheaper. Fill in the gaps and use a wet finger to smooth out. It will dry in an hour or 2, enough that you can try it on for sizing purposes. You aren't going to get the same exp from foaming as you would from peping. Its 2 different techniques in building that are required.

If this is the practice helmet, don't use the bondo then. Use Caulk. Its cheaper. Fill in the gaps and use a wet finger to smooth out. It will dry in an hour or 2, enough that you can try it on for sizing purposes. You aren't going to get the same exp from foaming as you would from peping. Its 2 different techniques in building that are required.

That's an interesting idea. The main point of the practice helmet was to get hands on experience with the materials like bondo and resin which I have never worked with before, but there are significant differences such as how 3mm eva foam responds to being sanded (terribly). I'll probably "finish" off the practice helmet enough to get a little paint practice before I start bondo on the exterior of the official helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back