working on my first build, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timber3

So I'm currently building my first pepakura armour I'm making an ODST suit and I'm fisihed the fiberglass in stage but what I'm wondering is what do you guys do next?

I figure I need to add the bondo layer to even out the details on the pieces. My question is what product do you use?

I hear bond is extremely fragile so it might not be the best for the outside layer? My dad suggested I use a kind of plastic (honestly I forgot what the product he said is) But I figured bondo would be the better option. Just wanna see what you guys use, as another option!

Edit: (holy crap... A) can you rotate pictures? B) pictures don't like getting posted do they?)

Picture time! I was planning on doing the gauntlets today but it was pouring rain and way too cold... and I think it shall be cold for a while cause as we all know... "Winter is coming...." and thus our hero.... Manny, is getting ready for a harsh winter....

20160624_193224.jpg

This helmet was the first one piece that I pepped and everything. I started out with bondo glass... and quickly realized that the way I was going..... would bankrupt a person.... since Bondo Glass only comes in such big tubs... Speaking of which these are the tools I used:

Started out my helmet with Bondo Glass... fully, only the top was hardened, then I got the Idea to switch to the cloth cause that is just cheaper...
20161021_220213.jpg20161021_220136.jpg20161021_220119.jpg

So I using Hughs unfolds with a Kirrou shoulder. (I believe I Got the Kirrou files from the archive as well) I'm just shy of 6 ft so I just used Hughs unfolds as is. Manny is 6ft

Shoulder x2 - Done
20161021_230459.jpg20161021_230416.jpg
(The right shoulder is Kirrou, I know its bent weirdly atm but it has no supports on it, it does bend into place when on Manny. I'm thinking of making the straps out of leather)

Belt buckle - Done

20161021_231011.jpg
(Why did I bother with this piece lol...)

Hip front and sides - Done

20161021_230917.jpg
(Do people make this into a belt like thing, that's what I was thinking of doing with them..)

Gauntlets - Resined 1 layer

20161021_230636.jpg20161021_230710.jpg
(Technically 2 layers... inside and out, but as you can see its a very thin layer from this a pictcha right herya ^ this is also a demo that the pieces fit snugly)

Shin x2 - Done

20161021_231122.jpg20161021_230404.jpg
(nothing but the hips pieces have been cleaned up.. I broke my scissors doing that lol)

Thighx2 - Done
20161021_230756.jpg20161021_230803.jpg
(I left out the straps on the hip plates [hence Manny holding them up :p] I plan on making them out of some other material.. perhaps leather again.. I'm not sure.

Chest core - Done (thinking of tossing and just buying a motorcycle under suit or something)
20160624_174125.jpg Something to note that is obvious with this picture, every piece that us multi parted ( the back, shoulders, core, front chest etc..) is held together with twine atm.. for the core if I get rid of it that wont matter much...but if I keep it I was thinking of using RVT silicone (which is the "plastic" I mentioned earlier (cause I'm smart... silicone = plastic...) that said:
(This.... I just don't like...period....)

Helmet - Done

20161021_230541.jpg20161021_230600.jpg
(I'm planning on not doing the traditional helmet for the ODST instead where the jaw parts are I was planing on putting 2 LED's on each side)

so here is where my original question comes in, for the helmet. if you look at the first picture as it hardened it kinda warped a little bit and in the left picture the top of the dome on the right side (the side with the foot on it, cause technically its the left side... ooof this is confusing o.0) looks like a dent, as well as it actually dented as the right picture shows. the bondo would be to try to fix all that up.

I suppose I should say, I left out the boot caps and the fanny pack... mainly cause.... why? The boot covers are just heavy duty boots and the fanny pack... just lawl

Attachments

• 20161020_234438.jpg
    20161020_234438.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 222
Its all one of those things what do you plan on doing with your armor is it just to wear then bondo will do just fine and yes it can be fragile but if you don't drop it or do anything really rough it will last just fine.

If you plan to be more active with your armor then i would not recommend using bondo and i would say take the foam rough will hold up better for abuse.

what do you mean? I plan on using EVA foam as well, on the inside of the armour piece, but what I mean is the outside layer to make proper shaping, it is a just to wear thing but whats a good alternative to bondo if that's the case?

Body filler (I use bondo brand) is your best bet to make a clean looking set of armor. The key is to use very thin layers, and not to goop it on. Not all of your armor needs to be covered in bondo, as areas with sharp, angular details can just go with a light sanding after the inside is fiberglassed.

I agree with Fllschrmjager and FlyinPhil on this. If all you plan on doing is wearing the suit to cons or whatnot, then body filler is your best, easiest, and cleanest option. If you were to use the suit to film action sequences, however, pep would not have been the best way to create the suit.

Post pictures man! Don't hold out on us.

I agree with Fllschrmjager and FlyinPhil on this. If all you plan on doing is wearing the suit to cons or whatnot, then body filler is your best, easiest, and cleanest option. If you were to use the suit to film action sequences, however, pep would not have been the best way to create the suit.

Post pictures man! Don't hold out on us.

I have pictures, but I'm on mobile (usually) you can't post pics from mobile. But I do intend on posting pictures soon! I just have the gauntlets to fiberglass atm then I'm done all of that stage and I'll post pics!

As for the bondo, that's what almost all DIYs say to use but the fragility of it had me worried. It's not that I want to film with this or anything but I just don't want it to break. But it seems bondo is the best bet!

I have pictures, but I'm on mobile (usually) you can't post pics from mobile. But I do intend on posting pictures soon! I just have the gauntlets to fiberglass atm then I'm done all of that stage and I'll post pics!

As for the bondo, that's what almost all DIYs say to use but the fragility of it had me worried. It's not that I want to film with this or anything but I just don't want it to break. But it seems bondo is the best bet!

The only issue with bondo is that it can chip. As long as it is later on fairly thin, you shouldn't have any issues as long as the inside of each part is reinforced with a couple layers of fiberglass. Corner of armor are something that need to be maintained, however, and I usually just dab on some silver paint if I get any chips... Adds a bit of character ;)

It isn't really fragile, but is designed for applications where is is less than a couple mm thick. If you try to add more than that, it does become fragile, and you could have issues with it cracking.

An option to maybe try out wold be Bondo-glass. It's basically bondo, with fiberglass fibers in it. It's gotten popular in the automotive industry. It's stronger the regular bondo, but still sandable. It may be good for a base layer on the outside of the armor, and then you can finish any small details or crevices with regular bondo. I'm not too sure if anyone has done that, or if it will work in costuming applications, but it may be worth a try.

An option to maybe try out wold be Bondo-glass. It's basically bondo, with fiberglass fibers in it. It's gotten popular in the automotive industry. It's stronger the regular bondo, but still sandable. It may be good for a base layer on the outside of the armor, and then you can finish any small details or crevices with regular bondo. I'm not too sure if anyone has done that, or if it will work in costuming applications, but it may be worth a try.

Funny you should mention bondo glass, I started out using that :p (as the edited OP now shows)

Heres how that turned out

20161021_220033.jpg20161021_220049.jpg

Honestly I kinda do love BG it feels like a full on helmet when hardened lol... the ease of the cloth, though was not to be passed up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back