A Greeting & 4 Questions In One!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkham Kane

Hello All,

This is my first post and I wanted to introduce myself and get four questions off my chest right away.
(If posting more than one question is frowned upon please let me know?)

About me:
  • I am a 42-year-old Army vet.
  • I live in the Boston Area.
  • I am newly obsessed with Cosplaying/Costuming as a whole.
  • I am about to launch a new website - If anyone is interested in collaborating? (www.cosmiccosplay.com)
  • I just started my own YouTube channel - If anyone is interested in collaborating?
  • I am looking forward to completing my first build...

With all that said, here are my questions:

1. What is the better adhesive? Contact Cement or Barge?
  2. Does anyone know of a good source for Foam templates aside from this forum and the RPF?
  3. What is the best source for good armor crafting tutorials?
  4. In your opinion, what is an easy "First" armor build for beginners?
  5. BONUS: What the hell is the deal with the current Election? (This one is a joke of course)

Thanks, and nice ta meet ya one and all!
AK

Welcome to the 405th.

1. Barge is contact cement, or at least people call it like that, most commonly Barge cement.
2. Pepakura library on facebook or Onekura website.
3. Punished Props on YouTube has a LOT of tutorials, especially for foam.
4. I wouldn't call anything easier. It's just your preference what would you like to do more. Easiest is definitely the low-poly armor from Halo: Combat Evolved, because it has no details at all. But... I'd just say, rather do what armor you like most because everything will take a lot of your time.
5. No idea. It's like it's Del Rio...

An other good thing to do for tutorials is to look at ones on things which aren't on halo Because a lot of the skills can be transferred over and build a wall around America :lol
Ps a big warm welcome from the land down under

Re: A Greeting & 4 Questions In One!

Welcome to the 405th.

1. Barge is contact cement, or at least people call it like that, most commonly Barge cement.
2. Pepakura library on facebook or Onekura website.
3. Punished Props on YouTube has a LOT of tutorials, especially for foam.
4. I wouldn't call anything easier. It's just your preference what would you like to do more. Easiest is definitely the low-poly armor from Halo: Combat Evolved, because it has no details at all. But... I'd just say, rather do what armor you like most because everything will take a lot of your time.
5. No idea. It's like it's Del Rio...

Thanks for all of that.
I know that Barge is contact cement... (Or I suspected) I am currently using Weldwood Contact Cement, and I was just curious how it compared to Barge. (I know it is less expensive)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You Spartan55

- - - Updated - - -

Also, how do I change my profile picture? Can't find the option anywhere....

Welcome to the 405th, mate.

1, 4. Go with what Palmer said.
2. Not sure. I personally tend to make my own, but only because I have access to the right software for it.
3. Like Palmer mentioned, Punished Props is always a good source to refer to. That, and a healthy bit of trial and error to go along with it.
5. American politics escape me.

Also, how do I change my profile picture? Can't find the option anywhere....
The gear up in the top right, next to your username, takes you to your options. From there, you want "Edit Profile Picture" and "Edit Avatar", which can be found under "My Profile" to the left, in the "My Settings" area.

Welcome to the 405th, mate.

1, 4. Go with what Palmer said.
2. Not sure. I personally tend to make my own, but only because I have access to the right software for it.
3. Like Palmer mentioned, Punished Props is always a good source to refer to. That, and a healthy bit of trial and error to go along with it.
5. American politics escape me.

The gear up in the top right, next to your username, takes you to your options. From there, you want "Edit Profile Picture" and "Edit Avatar", which can be found under "My Profile" to the left, in the "My Settings" area.
Awesome! Thanks.

What software do you mean?
I have the following:
Blender
Photoshop
Pepakura Viewer

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions?

I recommend downloading Pepakura Designer. It lets you make changes I don't think Viewer will do. As well, I believe Maya is compatible with Pepakura Designer.

If you haven't already gone thru the page with all the links for "New Recruits", I highly recommend it. Don't skimp on blades for your craft/utility knives. Sharpening is a good way to extend their life. When cutting EVA foam, I've found the best result by a couple passes over a steel after between 6 and 10 inches of cutting.

I hope that helps! I'm on my first build as well, so we're in the same boat!

I recommend downloading Pepakura Designer. It lets you make changes I don't think Viewer will do. As well, I believe Maya is compatible with Pepakura Designer.

If you haven't already gone thru the page with all the links for "New Recruits", I highly recommend it. Don't skimp on blades for your craft/utility knives. Sharpening is a good way to extend their life. When cutting EVA foam, I've found the best result by a couple passes over a steel after between 6 and 10 inches of cutting.

I hope that helps! I'm on my first build as well, so we're in the same boat!

Thanks! I don't know if I am ready to pay for Designer yet... I will take a look at that list of links you mentioned.

Right now I have a whole work table setup going on... I even bought a Kershaw sharpening tool for my blades.

Here are a few pics:
DESK LEFT .JPGDESK RIGHT.JPG

AK

If you are going to work with Pepakura at all you need to get Designer. It is the only way to change the scale of the templates. It is worth every penny.

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back