comm system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedva Ko

Jr Member
I need someone familiar with electronics from adafruit.com. I'm trying to make a comm system to mount into my helmet. i was thinking of using a flora fona combo but as that requires a 2g or 3g network I need an alternative. Here is a list of attributes I want it to have:
complete open channel. I want it to have a channel that mimics a conference call. All mics transmitting, all speakers receiving at all times. Alternatively maybe the channel opens when someone starts talking.
tactical pad. I want a tactical pad that is wrist mounted. Maybe channel selection shown on it with a flashlight control, allowing it to be used as a morse code transmitter.
data link. I would like to be able to connect to a computer and have a file explorer on the tactical pad. Simple click to download for mission details or completion
disconnect. I want it to be that when the helmet is removed it disconnects from the tactical pad.
Fan control. I would like to be able to control the fan from the tactical pad as I wear glasses and need a fan in my helmet.
There may be more later

I'm thinking that i may have to use XBEE to accomplish the comm part but I am a little lost on what I need for the entire project.

Unfortunately I don't know much about com systems, but this sounds like an interesting project! Good luck finding the info you need!

im using a throat mike and a custom speaker so i dont need help on that. i just need help building the computer that runs it all (computer is used loosely here) and maybe some guidance creating an enclosure that wont easily break when bumping into anyone or falling so no foam and no fiberglass ( both of which seem to me to be a terrible idea when dealing with electronics anyway.) if i can get help designing a tacpad bracer that can be worn in public without looking like a Pipboy that would be great too

My recommendation is to use the 3.5 inch touch screen they have and use a basic android OS. Beyond that, programming a user interface using a devkit shouldn't be hard. It's just an electronic set of on/off switches. In electronics terms, you'd be wiring a bank of spst switches. For the enclosure, the actual components don't need to even be in the bracer. They could be in the backpack/backplate with whatever cooling system you have. All you need is the touchscreen and the wires.

As for construction, I would build it out of aluminum and sink it into a fibreglass bracer/backplate. That said, if you build using another medium, as long as you provide for structural support, it should be fine.

My recommendation is to use the 3.5 inch touch screen they have and use a basic android OS. Beyond that, programming a user interface using a devkit shouldn't be hard. It's just an electronic set of on/off switches. In electronics terms, you'd be wiring a bank of spst switches. For the enclosure, the actual components don't need to even be in the bracer. They could be in the backpack/backplate with whatever cooling system you have. All you need is the touchscreen and the wires.
the only issue with this section is the fact that it would require me using a phone which adds up to alot when supplying 2+ friends with the devices. id rather use a closed mesh network. other than that you have hit upon exactly what i want to do, including the components being off site. it would be easier to put on in a single bracer but it would also be bulky as hell.

As for construction, I would build it out of aluminum and sink it into a fibreglass bracer/backplate. That said, if you build using another medium, as long as you provide for structural support, it should be fine.
i like the idea of an aluminum enclosure. if made right it could probably be hit with a bat or car and still maintain most of its shape so it can probably handle falls and such like a pro. ill just have to make sure that there are rubber washers between the boards and enclosure to protect from shorting out. i might be able to use magnets to secure the tacpad to like a leather or plastic bracer but im not sure what it would do to the electronics. btw i DO NOT recommend testing this by throwing it at a car. could hurt the caror a person.

Actually, if you'd like the input, I'm professionally trained in aircraft maintenance which includes the installation of highly sensitive electronics into aluminum enclosures. Once you have chosen the components, you can send me the list (ideally with images) and I should be able to tell you what insulating components and fittings you need to make this work.

For the comm system, I recommend FRS radios with a VOX setting. Either that, or bluetooth headsets that are similar to xbox/playstation bluetooth systems. You would need to include a wifi adhoc network, which each of the tacpads would be connected to, and include a voip system. These are available, I'm sure. As long as you're within wifi range of each other, you should be able to keep in contact.

I would heavily recommend the FRS radio option though. It's far easier to get working.

Actually, if you'd like the input, I'm professionally trained in aircraft maintenance which includes the installation of highly sensitive electronics into aluminum enclosures. Once you have chosen the components, you can send me the list (ideally with images) and I should be able to tell you what insulating components and fittings you need to make this work.
cool. ill keep that in mind

For the comm system, I recommend FRS radios with a VOX setting. Either that, or bluetooth headsets that are similar to xbox/playstation bluetooth systems. You would need to include a wifi adhoc network, which each of the tacpads would be connected to, and include a voip system. These are available, I'm sure. As long as you're within wifi range of each other, you should be able to keep in contact.
what is frs and vox? i also want the tacpad to control the channel selections and other comm features as well as my fan and lights. i am thinking of using xbee.

I would heavily recommend the FRS radio option though. It's far easier to get working.[/QUOTE]

I am gonna be blunt . If you dont know what VOX is or FRS but you know of Xbee. I am a tad confused .

X bee is used by EE's like me to do smallspeed data on license free bands. you have to be a nerd to know of it... Yet FRS Famlly radio service and VOX Voice actavated transmit are very common .

* puts EE hat on *

So here is the problem . you need a way to read in audio... encode audio. and then put it in packets to bang over a wireless connection .

Let along that WiFI has a stack taht has be be used. EG MAC address. SSID all that coding .

Xbee also has a set up system.

its like inventing a phone.

you are FAR better off with a cheap small android phone and just use WiFI Ad hoc and a app ... Ive seen WiFi 2 way apps. I dont know if they make full duplex Let alone with more then a point to point user suystem .

but there is far less work invoved with a phone then on your own.

I am gonna be blunt . If you dont know what VOX is or FRS but you know of Xbee. I am a tad confused . X bee is used by EE's like me to do smallspeed data on license free bands. you have to be a nerd to know of it... Yet FRS Famlly radio service and VOX Voice actavated transmit are very common .
i know what they are just not what the letters stand for so i couldnt figure out which of the many devices i know of he was refering to. thank you for translating. i know of xbee because of Naigon Elecrical Creations (who make boards for lightsabers)

So here is the problem . you need a way to read in audio... encode audio. and then put it in packets to bang over a wireless connection .

Let along that WiFI has a stack taht has be be used. EG MAC address. SSID all that coding .

Xbee also has a set up system.

its like inventing a phone.

you are FAR better off with a cheap small android phone and just use WiFI Ad hoc and a app ... Ive seen WiFi 2 way apps. I dont know if they make full duplex Let alone with more then a point to point user suystem .

but there is far less work invoved with a phone then on your own.
mainly i need the board that will make this all work. the coding will come next. id rather avoid using a phone and have a system that uses just what i need not give more unneeded apps. however i wouldnt mind a way to connect everything to a phone and have it controlled her.

i want everyone to understand one thing about this project. i dont want a premade solution per say. id rather work with arduino sparkfun or making custom boards. i want to push my boundaries and try new things, to learn new things. i cant do that with premade.

The convenience of Android is that you can modify the OS to provide only what you need/want.

Beyond that, you might try raspberry pi. I'm not familiar enough to know the limits, but I do know that there have been full 3g phones built using it and Arduino, meaning you can use the hardware to build a system that can be loaded with an android OS. Or a Pi OS.

TwinMustang, Raspberry Pi should work on something like this. I don't have the skills, but I've been shooting the idea with a programmer friend of mine for a Fedora network (as a joke, somewhat), using it's Wi-Fi protocols, and boards mounted in hats.

LOL I approve. And with that, I think you should brainstorm with Cedva to figure this out. I don't have the know-how with any Pi systems. I'm merely a novice with system design. I can build anything from a blueprint though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back