RVB Sarge Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TutlarAce06

Hello everyone,

I have been a member of the 405th for a long time now and I have watched in excitement as everyone built their armor. I figured it was high time I get myself in gear and try my hand at building a set for myself. With some encouragement/inspiration from CommanderPalmer the armor I have decided on building is Sarge's armor for RVB. This is my first attempt at actually building something since a motorcycle accident that left me with some nerve damage in my right arm while I was in the Army, I cant feel the right underside of my arm from my elbow all the way to the tips of two of my fingers. The damage results in some control issues, I cant feel how much pressure I am putting into things and I drop things if I am not concentrating on them . So build time will be slow, please bare with me.

Here is the progress I have made so far:
I started with setting myself up a color scheme so I don't confuse the valley folds for the mountain folds.
IMG_20161111_074733915_HDR.jpg

From there I scored the folds and started assembly and this is what I have so far.
IMG_20161111_074742151_HDR.jpg

I knew that small areas would really be a problem for me but I think this is a pretty decent job.
IMG_20161111_080300077.jpg

I want to thank you all. Each and every one of you have put in some monstrous hours to build some truly epic pieces of art. You have inspired me to create one of my own.

Take as long as you need soldier. This is a project of patience. All the best.

This most certainly is a project of patience, I've been working on mine since 2013.

Those smaller areas look really clean, if that's the level of work you can do im excited to see the rest of this take shape.

This most certainly is a project of patience, I've been working on mine since 2013.

Those smaller areas look really clean, if that's the level of work you can do im excited to see the rest of this take shape.

Thank you for the boost in confidence.

Build's coming along great, can't wait to see your progress! I expect an intense southern/pirate accent from you when your done! :p

I do have a question for whomever can answer. I am using super glue on the 110 card stock but I am using a "dot" technique that allows me to make sure everything is going where its supposed to. BUT, the glue does not spread across the full tab. Will that bit me in the end and should I grab another glue (like an Elmer's stick or white glue) and coat the tabs on the inside of each section? Or should I just be really careful when doing the hardening process?
And what I mean by careful is do layers so thin you can barely tell.

I do have a question for whomever can answer. I am using super glue on the 110 card stock but I am using a "dot" technique that allows me to make sure everything is going where its supposed to. BUT, the glue does not spread across the full tab. Will that bit me in the end and should I grab another glue (like an Elmer's stick or white glue) and coat the tabs on the inside of each section? Or should I just be really careful when doing the hardening process?

You're good so long as your glue job is sturdy enough to handle (not constantly falling apart). The resin will penetrate all of the paper and seal up anything your glue didn't. You should always be very careful when you resin otherwise things may sag or cave in and then it will harden like that. Your first coat on the outside should be so thin you can barely tell. After that you are good to apply as much as you want. I generally do a thin coat on outside first, then another thin coat on the outside, then a really thick coat on the inside, all before fiberglassing.

I've used super glue for my chest piece and so far ive had no issues with it, but im not to the resin stage yet. I would say if you're concerned about it to do a line of super glue or hot glue across the back side of the model in the places you worry about.

Awesome, thank you both for your advice! Once everything is together I know there is going to be some warping due to not being able to be perfect in the same exact way for every join so I will be doing some reinforcements to try and get the shape as perfect as i can before I harden.....BUT, thats a long way off right now. I just didnt want to make bad mistakes that would hurt me later lol. Thank you both again!

Awesome, thank you both for your advice! Once everything is together I know there is going to be some warping due to not being able to be perfect in the same exact way for every join so I will be doing some reinforcements to try and get the shape as perfect as i can before I harden.....BUT, thats a long way off right now. I just didnt want to make bad mistakes that would hurt me later lol. Thank you both again!

Mistakes will happen most of em fixable. The cardinal rule I try to go by is the more time spent during preparation the less time you will have to spend during clean up/ finishing.

I keep having issues with the paper not fitting right and when I try to line things up is causes waves in the paper.
IMG_20161115_180057463_HDR.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this? Also, should I restart this build due to these imperfections in the pep build?

I am guessing I did not do a high enough detail because there are folds that are not showing up on this level of detail. If that is the case, should I start over with a higher level of detail in the pep files?

I keep having issues with the paper not fitting right and when I try to line things up is causes waves in the paper.
View attachment 33653

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this? Also, should I restart this build due to these imperfections in the pep build?

I am guessing I did not do a high enough detail because there are folds that are not showing up on this level of detail. If that is the case, should I start over with a higher level of detail in the pep files?

The waves should be able to be smoothed and adjusted during the finishing process with minimal issue, unless its warpping the whole piece I myself wouldn't start over.

P.S. A++ on the keyboard choice

HAHA Thanks. It's a little dusty because this is my work bench for pretty much everything.

But as for the warping. it's making me nervous but I am going to give it a go. All else fails this will teach me some lessons and only improve my skills for the next go around.

Well, it looks like my helmet is going to be just a tad too small. I am going to continue the build on this helmet for two reasons, one: it might be big enough to still fit and do what I need to do with it (add fans, lights, etc) and two: if it doesnt fit then I have gained some much needed experience.

Progress on the build is slow going but I do have some. I have started on the back half of the top (this is how I found this might be too small).
IMG_20161116_110958686.jpg
IMG_20161116_111007346.jpg

Your lines look neat and straight but also very thick. I know you are using the color method to distinguish valley and mountain folds. Perhaps the type of pen tip you are using is throwing the fold off just enough to produce those waves in the paper but like KRI667 said, all of those can be smoothed out during a later stage in the build.

Your lines look neat and straight but also very thick. I know you are using the color method to distinguish valley and mountain folds. Perhaps the type of pen tip you are using is throwing the fold off just enough to produce those waves in the paper but like KRI667 said, all of those can be smoothed out during a later stage in the build.

I actually am doing two things with the colors. The pens are both uni-ball gel pens , along with a ruler I go over the lines multiple times (maybe too much) with the valley fold I do both front and back. I follow up by scoring with the back of my knife. But as for the waves; I think its a combination of too much scoring and not matching up the edges perfectly that later cause other pieces to be slightly off (and then I try to make them match) lol. We will see later if they smooth out. They are not too bad. All else fails if this helmet turns out to be too small....my wife will have a brand new helmet :D lol.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give a heads up on my build. I am continuing my build but at a very slow pace. However, I will be stopping after I complete the Helmet for now. I have set a goal that will help me health wise which will also help save the eyes of anyone who happens to look in my direction as I wear a skin tight under-suit. I am needing to lose some weight, I am currently 275 pounds. It is not all fat as I have 17.5 inch biceps, a neck just as big and I can run a mile in under 9 minutes (recent achievement). The problem is everything else. I am disabled from the military which has left me in a cycle of "I hurt too much to work out, but I need to work out to lose weight as to not hurt so much". SO, long story short I have decided not to make up anymore excuses, suck it up, get my fatness into a gym and do something about my problems. I have a personal trainer that is NOT taking it easy on me and the support of my loving wife to push me to better myself. I just wanted to tell everyone one that may be watching my build that I have not given up, in fact I am more motivated than ever!

Thank you,
TutlarAce06

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to give a heads up on my build. I am continuing my build but at a very slow pace. However, I will be stopping after I complete the Helmet for now. I have set a goal that will help me health wise which will also help save the eyes of anyone who happens to look in my direction as I wear a skin tight under-suit. I am needing to lose some weight, I am currently 275 pounds. It is not all fat as I have 17.5 inch biceps, a neck just as big and I can run a mile in under 9 minutes (recent achievement). The problem is everything else. I am disabled from the military which has left me in a cycle of "I hurt too much to work out, but I need to work out to lose weight as to not hurt so much". SO, long story short I have decided not to make up anymore excuses, suck it up, get my fatness into a gym and do something about my problems. I have a personal trainer that is NOT taking it easy on me and the support of my loving wife to push me to better myself. I just wanted to tell everyone one that may be watching my build that I have not given up, in fact I am more motivated than ever!

Thank you,
TutlarAce06

Don't worry about finishing your armor until it's a good time for YOU. Best of luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back