Halo 5 Spartan Buck (Foam Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And done! Well done enough for what we need anyway :) This should make things a tad easier to build on the front details. As time progresses I might garner more patience to do some of the other under armor pieces, but we will see. For now i present the templates to the community! And I've uploaded the file to my mediafire link earlier in the post. File is Torso Undersuite Abs and Cod piece. Cheers and have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Cod and abs 2.jpg

Amazing job! Love how detailed you made those models look like. The pictures look very promising!

You are driving me insane with this Awesomeness you are spewing out!!! Amazing job bro, thanks again for all your hard work and expertise!

Thanks! Although I wouldn't call it expertise, with this is my first foam build. I built out some WoW armor several years ago for blizzcon and it was done with card stock and some...other...method of reinforcement. *cough*severeamateur*cough*, but this is a whole new playing field with its own learning curve. Hoping some of my ideas pan out on how I'm going to work on dorsal chest armor, but time will tell :)

Well sometimes ya gotta fail in order to succeed. In trying to put the arm together it didn't want to come together right. I could go on with why, but at this point I'm just considering it a learning experience and starting over. C'est la vi! It's what I get for making pieces permanent before the whole thing is test fit! lol

Well sometimes ya gotta fail in order to succeed. In trying to put the arm together it didn't want to come together right. I could go on with why, but at this point I'm just considering it a learning experience and starting over. C'est la vi! It's what I get for making pieces permanent before the whole thing is test fit! lol

I'll try and take a crack at the arms after I finish the chest and abs and try to post on it next week, I'll try and give you any pointers with the assembly and see if that helps was it a assembly issue or a fitting issue? If its sizing issues this is a good thread that taught me a lot http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627. Best of luck!

Thanks! And no not a sizing issue, some of the angles that I had didn't agree with other angles and such. And after trying to put this together it revealed a few places where if I make small changes, it should come together a lot easier. I made sure that it fit with a very rough paper build before I started working with foam just to make sure I didn't waste material. And I figured that my first attempt would either be a flop or not come together right. Can't expect to strike gold your first time out :D

Ok so started over and cut out all the pieces, doing something a bit different with the layout. I'm doing a lot more form and test fitting before putting things together this time. So onward and upward!
20161201_200744.jpg20161201_200847.jpg

Attachments

• 20161201_200847.jpg
    20161201_200847.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 147
I had already glued some pieces together without fully test fitting so they wouldn't come together right and it would have had to warp in order to do so. I'm taking a bit more time and trying to test and pre-fit as much as possible. Its hard with such a complex piece, but I haven't figured out how to make it simpler yet. Being my first build there may be a way but this is my first build so there is a lot that is new to me about it.

But here is the latest on progress.
20161204_100628.jpg

Haven't fully glued it together as I'm still working on the opposite side piece making sure it fits right.

Well after a grind here is the nearly completed product.
20161204_171221.jpg20161204_171239.jpg20161204_171302.jpg20161204_171321.jpg

A few gaps to deal with but I think I can take care of those with some putty before I seal it. It feels a bit big, but its the right size from wrist to elbow. Lots of space inside which is good so I can rig up something for it to grab on to. I'm thinking an under suit rig with rare earth or hard drive magnets to help hold it in place.

Anyway, once I finish the elbow cap I'm moving on to the other forearm. With the difficulty of this one I'm almost wondering if I should try 4mm craft foam instead of the really thick stuff. Might provide a bit more flexibility in the build.

Thoughts?

Thanks! It's nice to see it come to fruition but there are several things about it that bug me. I'm coming from a background of building pepakura models for years, and while I definitely see the advantages of foam, my OCD for details is kicking my butt on this. So I think I'm going to switch back to a paper build and go with resin/fiberglass and filler. May take a bit longer than i want, but it will satisfy my craving for details. Plus, it will be cool to see two different builds of the same armor, instead of your Awesome looking foam build, vs my amatuer build lol.

Anyway, off to the pepakura files for some severe revamping!

I will be keeping the foam build files and will put up my pepakura layouts for paper builds as well. I'll repost the link to my mediafire once they are all in place. Or you can dig back thru the earlier posts to find it.

Cheers!

Thanks! It's nice to see it come to fruition but there are several things about it that bug me. I'm coming from a background of building pepakura models for years, and while I definitely see the advantages of foam, my OCD for details is kicking my butt on this. So I think I'm going to switch back to a paper build and go with resin/fiberglass and filler. May take a bit longer than i want, but it will satisfy my craving for details. Plus, it will be cool to see two different builds of the same armor, instead of your Awesome looking foam build, vs my amatuer build lol.

Anyway, off to the pepakura files for some severe revamping!

I will be keeping the foam build files and will put up my pepakura layouts for paper builds as well. I'll repost the link to my mediafire once they are all in place. Or you can dig back thru the earlier posts to find it.

Cheers!

Good to hear, Honestly I really like seeing Pep builds with cardstock. I could never do it myself seeing how much patience it requires, I was always envious of them lol. Would really love to see that come to life though good luck bro!

Yeah the problems I had with foam was the guesswork. I mean I tried to measure 3 times and cut once, but it always seemed to be too much or too little. Plus even with a titanium blade retractable box cutter, I still couldn't get clean cuts. But I will still use foam for the flexible pieces, such as the ab plate, and the hips when I get there.

Any suggestions on an undersuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back