Help needed (Non Halo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrig

Hey guys, I need some help building the Fury's Song from COD. I know what most of you are thinking, "cod sucks, play a real game like halo". I know, I just love how this sword looks.

It has the perfect blend of angles and elegant curves. I'm using a method of making a cardboard cutout then hardening it. I have done the hardening of both sides with a 1/8 inch thick layer of fiberglass resin. Once most of the angles are sanded in im going to smooth it out with bondo and sand some more. The problem that I have run into is the issue of it being too flexible.

One idea that I had to counteract this is to make a silicon mold once all of the work is done, then cast a model using smooth cast 300, possibly putting an aluminum rod into it for support.

Another was making a big brick of micarta (spelling?) then purchasing a scroll saw to cut out the patterns. That way it would be more like grinding a real sword (which I would do if I could afford carbon steel).

I will appreciate any help that you guys can offer me. I might be doing this all wrong so please help me! I'll also try to post some pictures if you guys need them. I'm on my phone at the moment but ill try to do it soon.

IMG_0236.JPGIMG_0235.JPGIMG_0237.JPGHere's some photos.

Lots of times I see people do swords with a sheet of plywood and bondo. I think that that would probably be the best direction to go with this build. Honestly though, I don't know what you can use to make a sword that doesn't flex at all besides metal.

This should be directed to the non halo costume section. But most that I have seen who have made swords and knives use MDF wood or Pine or Oak if you have the tools for those. MDF and a a couple of tools might be the best way to go unless you have or know someone who has a CNC cutting machine.

I agree with eiros and Frosty, however there might be a third option that would make things much easier, but may be a little more "risky" if you plan on taking this thing to cons. just from the pictures you showed, the sword reminds me a LOT of those garbage made in china "tactical ninja" swords you can get in the mall for cheap, so it might save you a lot of time to just buy one of those (a quick look on amazon got me this, which should be a great start) and use it as a "core" for the sword and work on your sculpting skills with bondo/sculpty. however i'd HIGHLY reccomend blunting the blade (if its not blunted when you get it) so you don't have any accidents during the build process. and as always, we'd love to see the build!

I agree with eiros and Frosty, however there might be a third option that would make things much easier, but may be a little more "risky" if you plan on taking this thing to cons. just from the pictures you showed, the sword reminds me a LOT of those garbage made in china "tactical ninja" swords you can get in the mall for cheap, so it might save you a lot of time to just buy one of those (a quick look on amazon got me this, which should be a great start) and use it as a "core" for the sword and work on your sculpting skills with bondo/sculpty. however i'd HIGHLY reccomend blunting the blade (if its not blunted when you get it) so you don't have any accidents during the build process. and as always, we'd love to see the build!

I wouldn't use the blade for core, even when dull some cons would consider it "live blade"

Just keep in mind if you make it from wood, it can get heavy. Have you thought about using thermo-plastics, like worbla or wonderflex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back