Hello! New and Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEKaTEK

Hello! I'm new to cosplaying but ALWAYS wanted a halo costume, So that's why I'm here

I've seen plenty of videos on how to work with foam and what not as well as videos on what pepakura is all about, and so I decided to do my first build using pepakura

Downloading templates and reviewing them, I noticed something that has me really confused, what is that thing in the top left?

d6e7cc1734613365743c4aa1d5ceac70.png

I know it's part of the build, but then why is it excluded? I'm trying to create what's displayed on the left but when I select everything that will be printed, I only see these it's described as a foam edit by the way

5b29e1f36bf852d347682e316ce19254.png

I assume what is in front of the white background is what would be printed, so why does it only encompass less that a half of the entire build? Do I have to create 2 copies and mirror them?

With many other parts, there are similar issues, some missing large parts of their design, from the print area at least

SIDE NOTE

I'm looking to build to have my first set of armor from the newer generations of halo games, like 4 and 5. I LOVE the dead shot helmet yet not sure of a good, and somewhat easy, combo that also looks cool, fits the theme and what not, I also don't know if I can make the pepakura version of the helmet fit with foam

Please throw many any suggestions if you got any, thanks

First, welcome to the 405th.

Question #1: That jumble of template pieces are what is not needed when building a foam item. Peping is the process of building the armor piece from card stock paper, 110 lb, and then using fiberglass and resin to harden it. Those use every piece of the templates involved. Foam builds however can't get that type of detail so those small er pieces are discarded. You can create some of those details by using craft foam or thin EVA foam.

Question #2: Since you are looking at a foam specific build file.....you only need some of the templates. You can create the other 1/2 or the "mirror" piece, just by flipping the template over and cutting the foam.

As for building helmets w/ foam.....it can be done. Most people that I've seen here build their helmets via pep even if their suit is foam. It depends on your available material, time, skill, determination and preference. Hell, take a look at Redshirt's build. He did his out of cardboard. Look through the archives carefully. You may find both foam and pep versions available for what you are looking for.

Looking forward to seeing build.

Hey, and as Dirtdives said; Welcome to the 405th!

as you might know, this will be a learning experience for you. It sure was for me.:D

for starters, this is what happens to us costumers:
We TRY, we FAIL, we LEARN, we IMPROVE, we STRIVE, we ARE the 405th! know this, and you will be unstoppable. just know patience as your friend. and coffee.:D

another tip is: Always wear eye and face protection for sanding and painting. you don't want to damage your lungs.

I'm new to the armor building too :) I've seen on many threads that if this is your first time doing pepakura, try with something smaller to get the hang of it. I have made one mask for different cosplay out of pepakura, just haven't fiberglassed it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back