Advice on how to fill in gaps and rough spot's in foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xektrix

I basically followed this tutorial found here:

Mine turned out ok, but this is my first prop like this. So my shaving wasn't the best and it's sort of rough around the handle's and tight spot's. Also there are obvious gaps around the part's I had to hot glue on. The guy I watched filled in his with wood glue, but I'm not sure if that's going to help to much or not. I'm trying to think of something more like bondo that I could spread on and then sand it down afterward's to make it look super smooth and professional looking. I also want to make sure I don't use something that will eat at the foam (the guy mentioned that he noticed with lower quality wood glue's, it started eating away at the foam). I'm also broke, so the cheaper the better lol. Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try some paintable caulk. It fills the gaps nicely and doesn't shrink and will flex w/ the foam. Bondo and glue are very ridged. It holds but once past the stress point, it will tear the foam. It isn't easily sand-able but it can be done. Iv'e even heard some people use the hot glue as a fill for those small areas. Now I know from experience that, the hot glue sands down nicely but wears out my sanding sponge very quickly.

You could try some paintable caulk. It fills the gaps nicely and doesn't shrink and will flex w/ the foam. Bondo and glue are very ridged. It holds but once past the stress point, it will tear the foam. It isn't easily sand-able but it can be done. Iv'e even heard some people use the hot glue as a fill for those small areas. Now I know from experience that, the hot glue sands down nicely but wears out my sanding sponge very quickly.

Does the hot glue last on filling the gaps, or does it have to be reapplied after a certain amount of wear?

I use htoglue to glue the parts together, and use caulk to fill in gaps and seams

Evil ted uses a product called Kwik Seal. Which is pretty good. Its like a water based sealer

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kwik Seal paintable acrylic caulk. You can buy a small tube of it at Walmart, in the paint and caulk department for under $5. You can get it in both clear, or white base. It is water clean up, but then dries smooth. using a little water will also help smooth the caulk and get it into the locations you wish it to be. A scrapper is also a good idea to help get it feathered so that you cannot tell where it starts as easily. I typically use it for foam work, not ABS. It should still work well on ABS though.

Another option is what is called Spot Putty, or Miliput Epoxy putty. Milliput is available I know at Hobby Lobby. It is also water clean up and dries harder.

Kwik Seal paintable acrylic caulk. You can buy a small tube of it at Walmart, in the paint and caulk department for under $5. You can get it in both clear, or white base. It is water clean up, but then dries smooth. using a little water will also help smooth the caulk and get it into the locations you wish it to be. A scrapper is also a good idea to help get it feathered so that you cannot tell where it starts as easily. I typically use it for foam work, not ABS. It should still work well on ABS though.

Another option is what is called Spot Putty, or Miliput Epoxy putty. Milliput is available I know at Hobby Lobby. It is also water clean up and dries harder.

Oh, ok cool. Thanks. I've worked with caulk, but only the silicone type for plumbing and making cute phone cases. E6000 is great for abs, cause if you mess up you can pull it apart or even cool it in the freezer (it becomes really brittle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back