Advice on Hardening and Smoothing my Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qis4Question

Hello!

I'm back again, and this time with a Destiny cosplay. I'm doing a hunter, and need some advice on how best to do the helmet. I did do the woodglue method for my previous build, but I'm only making my helmet and accessories out of paper. What would be the best way to reinforce the paper, and smooth it without losing the details and not use traditional resin? I also have a gap that I need to fill in, what's best for that? Thanks in advance!
IMG_0901.JPGIMG_0902.JPGIMG_0903.JPG

The most common method of hardening a paper pep build w/o loosing detail is to harden it from the inside. You could continue using wood glue but add layers of newspaper strips in the paper mache technique. I've even heard of someone using strips of cloth instead of newspaper. It will make cutting out the visor a bit more difficult but the helmet will be much stronger.

Now for the smoothing out of the outside.....bondo. If you harden the inside correctly, the bondo will fill in that gap you have nicely. Layer it on thinly w/ multiple layers (Sand between applications) only where you need to smoothen it out and you won't loose the details.

Many methods of hardening the helmet/ armor parts, fiberglass and resin for the inside of the parts. There are some who use Rondo, which is a mixture of resin and bondo. There are some who use just resin like smooth-on. Some use pieces of cardboard as well as resin to re-enforce the inside. As for the outside Bondo is your way to go, like dirtdives said a little at a time sand smooth then apply more. Be sure to use support structures on the inside to prevent the helmet or armor piece from warping and shrinking.

Thank you two for replying. I'll think about doing the wood glue method on the inside. I also looked into smooth-on, but I'm concerned about being able to cut out the visor. That's my only concern with using smooth-on. Otherwise I was planning on using Bondo. Thanks eiros for the support structure tip, that's something I didn't think about before. Thanks Dirtdives for the tips on applying Bondo.

Thank you two for replying. I'll think about doing the wood glue method on the inside. I also looked into smooth-on, but I'm concerned about being able to cut out the visor. That's my only concern with using smooth-on. Otherwise I was planning on using Bondo. Thanks eiros for the support structure tip, that's something I didn't think about before. Thanks Dirtdives for the tips on applying Bondo.

You can cut the smooth-on resin. You'll just need a Dremel and a mask, the dust isn't good for your lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back