405th versus 501st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying that we should look at these guys as comrades and not as competitors.

We stand to learn an awful lot about how to do this professionally by looking at how they have done it

CGClone said:
With a movie that just celebrated its 30th Anniversary (Star Wars came out in 1977) and a costuming group/charity organization that is 10 years old (This is our tenth anniversary), give any group with that much effort, loyalty and time and you will get there.

I need to point out a few errors, not to thump the 501st chest/stand on a soapbox, but correct facts are important for accuracy.

There are close to 4,500 members worldwide, not 2,000.

Armor makers are NOT referred to as vendors, they do NOT "give out" their kits and no profit is made from those ventures.

The 501st is Lucasfilms proffered and endorsed fan/costuming group.

Halo has an immense fan base, but costuming is a difficult and expensive avenue for a hobby as most of you are finding out. A stormtrooper set of armor may not cost as much as the elite halo suits, but understand that 10 years ago it surely did. Nowdays, there are aluminum vacform molds, etc. If you want to talk about intensive and complicated costumes, try creating a Boba Fett or Darth Vader costume with any kind of accuracy. My Vader is about $3,000 in the making, Jango about $,1500, etc etc etc.

Hang in there guys, regardless of being a Star Wars fan or not, if the quality of leadership here stays on the level it is, things will start up nicely. The 405th has a tremendous amount of potential.

Sorry about the mistakes. I made some assumptions on my part.

Thanks for correcting me CG!

- Fitz

Last edited by a moderator:
Female Spartans have no outwardly appearing armor difference....

501st is not greater than the 405th, and the 405th is not greater than the 501st. But the 501st is a great template organization if thats where the 405th is headed

If a trooper wants to play chief, so be it.

As for identical looking armor... I am here to let you know that if it were possible to have mass manufactured armor, it would be going on.

If it were going on 405th would have a lot of the same chiefs running around. There are Spartan armor permutations, and different helms, but the same is true for storm trooper armor...

And who do I have to email to get a female battalion of Troopers to show up at my 25th B-Day?

Spase said:
And who do I have to email to get a female battalion of Troopers to show up at my 25th B-Day?

Sign me up too please. Spase has the right idea here.

SpartanForever said:
Ya i guess so but they have backing from lucas, lol i dont think Bungie is gonna be hooking us up with anything any time soon.

backing? LOLOLOL..no, just a statement.

what i meant was that lucas wont shut them down because of the costume is a copy, but i can tell you this, Bungie would probably make a huge deal out of it.

I just reached a bigger level or respect for 501st, why? Because I saw the pretty ladies in the skimpy storm trooper attire, sure, the armor doesn't look very detailed, but hell, they sure do add to it's appeal

On that note, I'd also like to know who to email to get a battalion of female troopers at my 15'th b-day....though, lol, I just realised why that's a bad idea, nothing will come of it.

As for halo female based armor, I have an idea for more "female" armor. Why not put a bit of originality into it? We don't have to copy halo suits 1:1 perfect, it's good to do, but for the sake of some added fun, couldn't we also design our own halo-themed suit? or maybe make a few mods to a mjolnir to get it "female friendly"

ok now I feel sexist :eek:

honestly, we aren't going to get as far as the 501st without some love from Bungie, perhaps we do have the resources/somehow get the resources to do the same stuff as 501st, but it will be useless if bungie keeps us down, vs how lucas arts supports the 501st....it's a tricky situation. For now, be thankful that we can all use this site in order to help make bad-ass mjolnir armor and then walk around public places making people think it's the master chief.

Oh one last thing, the mass-production vacu-formed storm trooper armor I don't really like, storm trooper armor as is already has a distinct lack of detail, making it more like simple armor plates and a slightly fancy helm. No custom paint either, but it can look much better if it is made to look metallic, and has battle damage. This is why I like more advanced trooper armor vs regular storm troopers, clone troopers were and are my favorite.

Speaking of Bungie are they EVER gonna come back to us about becoming 'official' (idk if it is the right term but what the hell).

SpartanForever said:
what i meant was that lucas wont shut them down because of the costume is a copy, but i can tell you this, Bungie would probably make a huge deal out of it.

Hi all Thought I would chime in. I am in the 501 ID-3378. The rank thing is based on state gropes. Like Tampa Squadron of the Florida Garrison. You vote for your leaders every year.

So lets go to Dragon Con in 2008 and show of what we do. The Fire Fly club did the parade this year. But we have to set the standers for costumes.

Mr Lucas told the 501 to keep up the good work, and is a member too. Bungie may come to that if we show them that we help there sales.

Keep it up...
Rob W. ID TK TX 3378

Rob said:
Hi all Thought I would chime in. I am in the 501 ID-3378. The rank thing is based on state gropes. Like Tampa Squadron of the Florida Garrison. You vote for your leaders every year.

So lets go to Dragon Con in 2008 and show of what we do. The Fire Fly club did the parade this year. But we have to set the standers for costumes.

Mr Lucas told the 501 to keep up the good work, and is a member too. Bungie may come to that if we show them that we help there sales.

Keep it up...
Rob W. ID TK TX 3378
Exactly! We should go to some con and show off what we got and then maybe we can prove to people that the 405th are no joke. But Rob is right we will have to set standards for costumes, for example no cardboard i know that would be tough on a lot of people but it must be done to see that we are taken seriously.

cardboard only if you plan to resin and stuff and it comes out good, you mean?

sorry, but after seeing what people on here can do with different "non-serious" supplies, like cardboard, I doubt it's a good idea to make anything against the rules...next thing you know some person comes out of nowhere with an awsome set of duct-tape armor that he uses as a basis to make super-awsome armor.

SpartanForever said:
Exactly! We should go to some con and show off what we got and then maybe we can prove to people that the 405th are no joke. But Rob is right we will have to set standards for costumes, for example no cardboard i know that would be tough on a lot of people but it must be done to see that we are taken seriously.

We the 501 have a group that you send a pic of you in armor and with helmet off to prove it is you, They tell you yes or no. you pick 4 #'s and get the first one that is open. TK is for stormtrooper TX spc. Opps. (BLACK ARMOR) etc. I vote (nominate) for Brian or Adam To be the first CO for the 405th and set that up. Then we nominate 50 State Leaders (10 members + in your state) and go for it. Dead Guy talked to the 501 last year about the Idea for a Halo Club and at that time they were all about helping.

We need by laws FIRST.
I will do what I can for this... Except hold office as CO Fla.

Rob W.

I am 501st and I am also 405th. My armor is on it's way and I plan on incorporating thet things I learned with Star Wars armor into my Spartan. As CGClone said, we have been around for 10 years, have nearly 6k members and have made a lot of mistakes along the way. 501st is a great template to use, and then you won't make the same mistakes as we did along the way. I have been there 5 years, and it comes with lots of bumps. You get that many people together and the armor is the only thing that some have in common. You can tear yourself apart fast.

The fact is, we are costumers, and it is that commonality that needs to be embraced. I think there is a lot to be learned from both groups. It is purely the love of nerding it up in armor that is the true joy. For me in a Star Wars suit, it is knowing that I wanted to be that 6 year old having Darth Vader to shake hands with. Now we do that for 6 years olds, and Spartan armorers are doing that now for kids of all ages.

Once enough people gather in one area, you will get your armies! For now I am the lone Oregon Spartan. When that armor comes in I will be all over the place. I can't wait to build it. I have so many great ideas for the suit. It is going to rock and I will be very proud to display it on these boards!

PillowFire said:
cardboard only if you plan to resin and stuff and it comes out good, you mean?

sorry, but after seeing what people on here can do with different "non-serious" supplies, like cardboard, I doubt it's a good idea to make anything against the rules...next thing you know some person comes out of nowhere with an awsome set of duct-tape armor that he uses as a basis to make super-awsome armor.
Take a look at the stormtroopers in the 501st you wont see one set of cardboard armor in their ranks, i just think it must be molded or something that looks like it could actually be used in a battle.

They have a much higher maturity level.
No offense to anyone but there are probably only 2xxx of the 4xxx members on this site that are older than 15, let alone 18.

Sean Bradley said:
I'm just saying that we should look at these guys as comrades and not as competitors.

We stand to learn an awful lot about how to do this professionally by looking at how they have done it

exactly Sean! rather than looking at the differences and trying to make a vs. thing we should be working to emulate them. in our own way, but still most the costuming communities follow their pattern to some degree.

Colonial Marines (Aliens)
76th Independents Battalion (firefly/serenity)
Starship Troopers
lots more etc etc

all these are established pseudo military fan based costuming groups. none of them, including the 501st, get any kind of backing or funding from any source other than their members.

costuming group need to support each other, there is much to be gained from being unified in purpose as apposed to being splintered factions focusing on rivalry.

SpartanForever said:

the usual agreement between the fan costuming group and the company that owns the copyrights to the intellectual property in question goes something like...

we allow you to use our copyrighted image for the purposes of costuming so long as, vendors selling reproduction of our images do so at cost. that is they "provide" their wears so as to gain no profit. this allows vendors to charge for their craft/shipping/time costs.

usually this relationship is fairly informal, between the fans and the copyright holders.

and there is a usual respect level that needs to be maintained. if the copyright holder feels that people are using their image in a way that detracts from the overall feel or image of their intellectual property, they will also shut down/prosecute copyright infringements.

on the other hand, if the costuming group acts as a positive PR image, does not infringe on the profitability of the copyright holder, and generally "does good" then they get left alone.

as far as bungie goes, does anybody else remember how excited they got when they saw NAS armor? bungie loves us! they are not the intellectual property rights holder however. we need to respect Microsoft, we need to encourage people to buy commercially available products that relate to our interest. we need to squash "m1cro50f7 suxxors" talk and treat them with proper respect if we want any hope of being respect/allowed to exist by Microsoft.

=Jubal=
[ /gets off soapbox ]

Jubal said:
exactly Sean! rather than looking at the differences and trying to make a vs. thing we should be working to emulate them. in our own way, but still most the costuming communities follow their pattern to some degree.

Colonial Marines (Aliens)
76th Independents Battalion (firefly/serenity)
Starship Troopers
lots more etc etc

all these are established pseudo military fan based costuming groups. none of them, including the 501st, get any kind of backing or funding from any source other than their members.

costuming group need to support each other, there is much to be gained from being unified in purpose as apposed to being splintered factions focusing on rivalry.
the usual agreement between the fan costuming group and the company that owns the copyrights to the intellectual property in question goes something like...

we allow you to use our copyrighted image for the purposes of costuming so long as, vendors selling reproduction of our images do so at cost. that is they "provide" their wears so as to gain no profit. this allows vendors to charge for their craft/shipping/time costs.

usually this relationship is fairly informal, between the fans and the copyright holders.

and there is a usual respect level that needs to be maintained. if the copyright holder feels that people are using their image in a way that detracts from the overall feel or image of their intellectual property, they will also shut down/prosecute copyright infringements.

on the other hand, if the costuming group acts as a positive PR image, does not infringe on the profitability of the copyright holder, and generally "does good" then they get left alone.

as far as bungie goes, does anybody else remember how excited they got when they saw NAS armor? bungie loves us! they are not the intellectual property rights holder however. we need to respect Microsoft, we need to encourage people to buy commercially available products that relate to our interest. we need to squash "m1cro50f7 suxxors" talk and treat them with proper respect if we want any hope of being respect/allowed to exist by Microsoft.

=Jubal=
[ /gets off soapbox ]
Did Bungie get let go by Microsoft? So we may be better off?

Another 501st member here (Florida Garrison). I have only been a member HERE for a short time but I see a lot of great information and great team-work on this board. You guy/gals are well on your way to being as good if not better than the 501st... it just takes time and organization.

Rob said:
Did Bungie get let go by Microsoft? So we may be better off?

Yup.

GI: Who owns Halo?

O’Connor: Microsoft owns the Halo franchise, the characters and the scenarios therein. I’m having my lawyers fighting them over the property of Mister Chief, but other than that it’s all theirs. [laughs] All the usual Internet furor out there is kind of misplaced. If you just logically figure out timelines and what we’re working on right now, sure, in the future things will change and we’ll adapt and grown, but we’re concentrating on the 360. We’re part of its success, and it’s a big part of ours.

this is not bad news, it just the way it is.
Microsoft will continue to own the Halo intellectual proerty rights.

GI: This is something that also came out today, and I’m not sure what you can say about it, but there are reports saying that the Halo movie has been declared dead officially. Any comments?

O’Connor: I haven’t seen that, but being declared dead is probably one studio’s viewpoint, and we still own the intellectual property, as far as Microsoft is concerned. Nobody can declare it dead except the owner of the IP.

GI: Considering that Microsoft owns the IP and you’re going to be busy doing a lot of different things—what are your feelings on the possibility that someone else could make Halo 4?

O’Connor: We’re not done with the Halo universe, obviously. Microsoft would presumable always want us to work in the Halo universe, however, we do have good partners like Ensemble Studios working on Halo Wars. We’ve always worked well with third parties. If you have good partners like Ensemble and like Peter Jackson, there’s really not a great deal to worry about. But again, Bungie is not sick of the Halo franchise, and if we ever visit it again, it will be from a different perspective, with a different outlook—and will hopefully be something that we’re all excited about. We certainly wouldn’t touch it again unless we had something cool to do with it.

now to swerve back on 'topic'..

Another 501st member here (Florida Garrison). I have only been a member HERE for a short time but I see a lot of great information and great team-work on this board. You guy/gals are well on your way to being as good if not better than the 501st... it just takes time and organization.
glad to hear that :) if you have tips/suggestions to help us improve I would happy to hear em!

=Jubal=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back