Resin fiberglass, Pepkura Weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemretas

If using ordinary printing papar as pepkura MA5C, can I use fiberglass and resin to make it sturdier, or would the resin just make it soggy, and not stay flat?

it'l warp, and not look good. if you really wanted you could bondo it after, but its probably just easier to go out and buy the card stock. 110 lb is good. you can get at walmart, or michaels or any craft store.

my idea would be to make half of the gun, say make one side, and make the other, and make it so you just need to connect a few tabs and the two become one piece, resin and glass the two halfs inside, then glue to tabs and make the gun 1 pep piece, then resin the outside.

Btw, NEVER USE PRINTER PAPER FOR PEPAKURA OR PAPERCRAFT

it will sog down and die.

Cardstock never sags down when resined unless it's overweighed

AoBfrost said:
my idea would be to make half of the gun, say make one side, and make the other, and make it so you just need to connect a few tabs and the two become one piece, resin and glass the two halfs inside, then glue to tabs and make the gun 1 pep piece, then resin the outside.

Btw, NEVER USE PRINTER PAPER FOR PEPAKURA OR PAPERCRAFT

it will sog down and die.

Cardstock never sags down when resined unless it's overweighed

Unfortunately, this doesn't work.

Just do what I do.
Finish your pep, resin the outside with two coats.
Take a dremel with a cutoff wheel, and cut the weapon in two pieces.
Fiberglass the inside with two layers, then epoxy it back together.
That will give you enough sturdiness to add details with clay etc, then make a two piece silicone mold.

The Pistol is small enough, if you use 110 lb and fill it with hot glue as you're making it, it will hold up to a silicon mold
with just a couple layers of resin. Than, once you pull a resin of the pistol, use that to add your clay too for details etc.

Then, pull the detailed master.

Easy Peasy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only bad thing about a cut off wheel is it cuts a small amount off from the middle of the weapon, otherwise, it is the best to do, but then again if you dont cut it perfectly straight, it may not fit perfect.

AoBfrost said:
The only bad thing about a cut off wheel is it cuts a small amount off from the middle of the weapon, otherwise, it is the best to do, but then again if you dont cut it perfectly straight, it may not fit perfect.

Frost, the amount of material cut away is nominal, at most, approx. the width of a sheet of 110lb cardstock.
As for not cutting it straight, I use snap chalk to make the lines on either side. "Technically" you could cut all the way around in a zig zag pattern, and still put it together easily.

Another tip, is to cut in a key. I just cut in a box on the top and bottom of the longer guns. So I have something to match up with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back