Helmet sculpt clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i thought about making a Mold for the helmet since im really good at using clay. and i make all kinds of clay items, (statues etc...) all the time.
But i have never used clay for a mold so thats why im asking your help.

But i just want to check before i start making my helmet what type of clay do i need?
Can i just use normal art sculpting clay or will it break as i make the mold?

I am not going to buy any clay off the internet and i cannot get sculpty (or what ever) clay here from switzerland. (My nationality is Finnish though dont ask how i ended up in switzerland)

So do you guys have any suggestions/ precautions for me considering the clay when i use it as a mold.

Thank you!

(Ps. also if someone knows what is the best way to add layers of fiberglass without screwing up a pep. helmet would be appriciated)

I wouldnt use clay you would use for baking, I'd use oil clay, it stays moist and works very good and doesnt dry out because of it being so oily, wash your hands after using it too, or else you get oil hands.

It depends on how much your going to spend, the method adam used to mold his helmet cost around 300-400 dollars I think....someone told me this....but if you try plaster molding which will be 20-30 dollars, you'll have to be extra careful because if you drop the mold...it will break.

AoBfrost said:
Buy a quantity of 200 pounds and your set.
200?!? Why not buy like.....50, and just make each part one by one. Saves you a ton of money, and 50 would be more than enough.

AoBfrost said:
It depends on how much your going to spend, the method adam used to mold his helmet cost around 300-400 dollars I think....someone told me this....but if you try plaster molding which will be 20-30 dollars, you'll have to be extra careful because if you drop the mold...it will break.
Yay! My plaster method is gaining popularity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back